Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > 998cc > crankshaft preperation

Spiky_mike

1 Posts
Member #: 11605

I am building a new engine up for my turbo build and wanted to see what peoples opinions are on what needs to be done to a 998 crankshaft. Is it good enough to just leave it if all the surfaces are to spec or is it worth getting it wedged/lightened and hardened.

For context the block has an overbore +40 and has a centre main strap i have Russell engineering pistons and will be using stock rods that will be balanced. the car will be more than just a weekend toy so my thoughts where getting it hardened will increase its life.

Thanks Mike

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

It certainly won't hurt to get it wedged ground to size and hardened.

Alternatively if you have a pile of cranks then theres no harm in using standard ones. Whats the intended power/rpm?

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

most likely if you have it surface hardened it may move and if so need a grind to true it up

are some of the 998 cranks hardened from factory? or is that just a different grade of steel

slater

1030 Posts
Member #: 1291
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

Sounds like your not intending to rev it too high so probably not worth your effot.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

I used a standard crank and rods in my 120hp 998 turbo with the revs limited to 6k because I used circlips on the pins.

New one has a lightened and hardened crank, lightened rods plus buttons on the pins with the intention of pushing it to 8k.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Home > 998cc > crankshaft preperation
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: