Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Driveshafts

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Ok so driveshafts. There have been a few different shafts over the years, and many say that the standard shafts are perfectly useable in high torque turbo applications, that’s all fine. Looking at the driveshafts that came with my 1995 SPi they are different again. Rover had simplified their manufacture. The shaft is a consistent diameter over the entire length, roughly 22mm. They only narrow down slightly at the splines to roughly 21mm. At the pot joint end instead of a seat machines into the shaft, there is a ‘C’ clip similar to the clip at the CV joint end.

The common pot joint shaft is roughly 25mm at its thickest along the majority of the shaft but is reduced down 5 times along its length. The narrowest point is near the cv joint end where it is reduced to under 20mm.

All things considered, if the late shafts are made from the same material they should handle the torque a little better allowing any wind up in the shaft along its entire length rather than focussed on one of the reduced diameter points along the length of the more common shafts. The ‘C’ clip groove will obviously still be a weak point, which I’m not so worried about really as it will likely act like a fuse in what is a rather expensive drive train😆

Attachments:

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

DILLIGAF

166 Posts
Member #: 9128
Advanced Member

It was a cost saving exercise in the early mid eighties. Only lasted for a couple of years, before they went back to the larger size. Read into that what you like but i've never seen a shaft of the thinner variety break.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

There were thinner shafts on 998’s. The 1983 Mayfair I had was fitted with shafts that narrowed right down, thinner than these late shafts.

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

DILLIGAF

166 Posts
Member #: 9128
Advanced Member

Yeah thats about the age I've seen them on, suppose it could only have been on 998's at that time and only drum brakes.
Cant ever recall seeing them on a metro, so must have been something to do with the disc brakes.

Austin

7 Posts
Member #: 11683

My 84 drum braked Mini had the thin shafts...

Attachments:

JetBLICK

243 Posts
Member #: 1261

Droitwich

Interesting.. Does anyone know what the metro shafts were like?

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Like the mini shafts but a bit longer *hehe!*

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

JetBLICK

243 Posts
Member #: 1261

Droitwich

*hehe!* ever had a set side by side, would be intresting to know how much longer they are

dazibee

553 Posts
Member #: 1356
Post Whore

TRURO, CORNWALL

I snapped my driveshaft clean inside the potjoint. These are off a 1989 car. I was thinking of uprating them but now i think of them as fuses. Would rather break a driveshaft than take my gearbox apart

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

I got some drums n shafts off an early 80's mini the other week n ive never seen shafts so small...

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

MikeRace

6549 Posts
Member #: 1149
#1 Basshunter Fan

Force Racing ICT Dept Manager Miglia Turbo Am frum Yokshyer tha noes!

The Drive flanges are alot thinner as well iirc

On 15th Mar, 2018 D4VE said:
I got some drums n shafts off an early 80's mini the other week n ive never seen shafts so small...

1/4 Mile 14.3secs 96Mph Terminal 10psi of boost.

Fibreglass Parts? - http://www.tdkracing.co.uk/
Split Rims? - http://www.force-racing.co.uk/

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Driveshafts
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: