Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Engine

weeally

23 Posts
Member #: 11726

So the car has been sat for a long time in a garage (years). I did not build this and is a unfinished project but I now have it. Had a look and has minimal rust but there is still a bit of work to be done mostly engine and clean up the electrics. Does turn over but wont start not to bothered with that which leads me onto my question or questions. I have uploaded a few pictures also.
As you can see it s a turbo setup but all marking from what I can see are gone so have no idea what cc it is or what work has been done to the head or block any ideas from the pictures? I found some numbers which seem to be staped on.
Ill see if I can get it to run ands idle first then being a mess and a eye sore to look at should I strip it down and renew all the gaskets and paint and so forth??

Cheers for the help any ideas would be appreciated.

Attachments:

weeally

23 Posts

Having a look I'm assuming its a 1275
Ill be stripping it down the renewing the gaskets anything I should look out for when doing this? And maybe renewing?

Edited by weeally on 24th Mar, 2018.

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

It looks from the markings that it may be an Avonbar cylinder head with 25cc chambers.
As there's no way to vouch for the condition of the engine I'd be completely stripping it to assess the condition and working from there. Never assume things are good until you've thoroughly measured and inspected them. I'd always work on the assumption that a second hand engine is junk, if it turns out not to be that's a bonus.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

weeally

23 Posts

Cheers for the reply. I'm not a mechanic but do have some knowledge. So you recommend taking it out and stripping it down, to what stage? What's should I be looking out for? I do have alot of parts aswell so there's plenty of kit here to sort.

Chandavi01

5 Posts
Member #: 11740

Midlands

Firstly I would invest in a cylinder pressure testing tool, not expensive and available from places such as Halfords. If you can turn the engine over then you can establish roughly if there is any ring or valve wear. You could also run and air pressure loss check. Really, you should check for Crank and cam wear but this would certainly include striping the engine down. If you achieve a reading of between 140 to 160 Psi then the rings and valves are okay, this is in respect of standard pistons. This is a good start. The plugs will probably be sooty because the car hasn't run, give them a good clean or buy new ones and check coil connections and dizzy cap contacts. Check fuel line and replace any dirty or old filters. Check needle valve as it may well be sticking thus flooding the engine. If all is okay within reason then the car should start, once it does you can asses its condition by listening to how it sounds and it's performance if you drive it. My advice would be to get it to a rolling road as soon as its running, good luck.

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Engine
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: