Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Bringing back to life old project Mini

weeally

23 Posts
Member #: 11726

Where to start is the biggest question, Join me on this journey of the unknown.
The car is a old C reg mini sprite with a few mods. It was a old project never finished as youll be seeing as we go. Ive decided ill take this challenge upon myself and finish it has potential to turn out nice. I am not a mechanic but do have some knowledge and tools which should help along with your knowledge.
It has been sat for over 10 years now, and does not look nice at all but it will be getting sorted.

Edited by weeally on 26th Mar, 2018.

weeally

23 Posts

As for parts .....plenty of stuff. Loads more stuff lying around this is just a few bits

weeally

23 Posts

So first thing I'm looking to do is get the engine out and inspect it strip it down and find out what work if any has already been done to it and clean it all up. As far as I'm aware the engine in it is a 1275 turbo. With markings on the cylinder head .25cc so there could be the first mod ive seen. Ill put up what I'm going to check and if I miss anything please add it. I'm not looking to spend loads of money on this so hoping a lot I can reuse.

Cylinder head - push rods, head studs
Camshaft and cam followers
Crank pulley
Timing chain
Water pump

Is it worthwhile just renewing timing chain, gears, tensioner and water pump ?? whilst the engine is out and stripped???

Oil pump
Rod bearings and bolts (renew these??)
Check the cylinders for any wear and tear.

new gaskets of course and a good lick of paint .

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Member #: 9038
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

Have to wait til its apart and see whats what. Do you know how old the engine is, mileage etc etc?

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

Nice project.

I would renew all the bearings, water pump timing chain etc.

Keep us updated!

weeally

23 Posts

On 26th Mar, 2018 hazpalmer said:
Have to wait til its apart and see whats what. Do you know how old the engine is, mileage etc etc?

No idea. So full strip down and have a look at everything then put the engine back together.
Hopefully get the engine out at some point tomorrow when my engine stand arrives.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

My bro had them fortec arches on his mini when i was 16.. brings back memorys! *smiley*

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

weeally

23 Posts

Well today finally got my new jack so car is up on axle stands wheels off and now engine is out what a absolute nightmare soooooooooooooooooooooo tight in the engine bay.

Wheels are in a not bad condition a good clean up and taking to get new valves as they all keep going down after a few weeks at a time.

I found few extra parts and cleaned them up.

I think I found a actual Turbo carb in a box which I stripped down and ordered a new rebuild kit for it. One on the engine is just a standard one, either he broke one of the pipes and fixed it or drilled it what you think??

Had a good look underneath the usual rust on the parts but the body is solid. There are poly bushes all round which look good.

Need to strip down front brakes and rear and clean them all up renew what needs to be renewed but try and keep majority of it.

Ive decide ill strip everything down starting at the back and renew the nuts and bolts clean up the parts repaint them grease them up put them back up. Shouldn't be to exspensive but gives me piece of mind.

Edited by weeally on 27th Mar, 2018.

weeally

23 Posts

Forgot to ask the poly bushes look good think I can re use them ? if I buy new nuts and bolts ?

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

That is a turbo carb

weeally

23 Posts

On 27th Mar, 2018 jonny f said:
That is a turbo carb

that is a good start to this strip haha

weeally

23 Posts

Gave it a wash down not just stripped the head does this look ok?

Attachments:

weeally

23 Posts

Edited by weeally on 1st May, 2018.

weeally

23 Posts

though I have found two heads in a box the same. Possible had some work done tio them??

Attachments:

weeally

23 Posts

Well it has been a while but finally got back into the garage to do a bit of work .
So finally got engine bay and arches all cleaned up as best possible and completed the front subframe and install it all.
As you can see from the pictures I also got right in about the soundproofing aswell that took its time and took ages so just need to wipe it to get rid of that black taky stuff. But was good to rip it up as it revealed some rusty holes either side to the rear. Nothing that cant be repaired and actually happy that's the only rust areas. SURPRISED.

Edited by weeally on 23rd May, 2018.

weeally

23 Posts

Also I came across a problem with my new hub I had to buy. It didn't seem to fit the caliper bolts from the metro calipers. Its looks the same as the other hub as in size and everything but its just the bolts would not fit. I found ones that did would this be ok???

Took out the petrol tank aswell and there was a welded tube at the top for the return pipe and its in a good condition so happy.

Attachments:

Home > Show Us Yours! > Bringing back to life old project Mini
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: