Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Rear brake cylinder size

longy

1536 Posts
Member #: 2727
Post Whore

Bicester

Currently ive got 7.5" disc on the front, single line system with standard 0.7" master cylinder, regulator valve mounted to the subframe. The braking is crap, i plan to overall the rear brakes, what size rear brake cylinder should i use. Also is it worth fitting a brake bias proportion valve?

Chris

1972 998 TURBO SLEEPER

jonny f

1848 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

Bin the factory regulator, fit a bias valve instead.

Whatís crap about the brakes?

longy

1536 Posts
Post Whore

Bicester

stopping power, fade and pedal travel is fine once bled, but fades fairly quickly.

1972 998 TURBO SLEEPER

DILLIGAF

91 Posts
Member #: 9128
Advanced Member

You still using the standard drum brake pedal ? If so I had the same problem fixed it by fitting a later disc brake pedal.

longy

1536 Posts
Post Whore

Bicester

Yes, does the disc pedal have a different ratio?

1972 998 TURBO SLEEPER

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15146 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Put some good pads in the front, Mintex 1144 or Ferodo DS2500. They will transform the brakes. I had CooperS brakes years ago and they were great.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

DILLIGAF

91 Posts
Advanced Member

If your original is the earlier square pedal, as mine was.

longy

1536 Posts
Post Whore

Bicester

Cheers Tom

Itís a 1972 pedal box

1972 998 TURBO SLEEPER

Sprocket

11018 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Most braking is done on the front so if its as bad as you say, you really need to look at the front brakes first. If you have a problem locking the rear brakes, then you need to look at increasing the bias more towards the front.

If you fit an adjustable bias valve, fit any of the smaller rear wheel cylinders, other than the more common 3/4" ones. This will give you more control over the bias. 1/2" is as small as you can go on the rear, and were fitted on only a few early models without any pressure reducing valve. all later cars used the 3/4" wheel cylinders with one or another type of pressure reducing valve.

as for the brake pedal, the lever ratio is exactly the same, only difference was the reserve pedal travel when they changed from a single line master cylinder to a dual line master cylinder, you have to stomp on the brakes equally as hard on either pedal, just that one pedal position is higher up than the other.

I agree with Tom, the Mintex 1144's or similar. What pads are fitted?

Oh, and if you want to know what the car should have fitted as standard, have a look on Minispares, they have a chart the explains all

Edited by Sprocket on 4th Apr, 2018.

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

DILLIGAF

91 Posts
Advanced Member

Sorry colin but I went though all this, only the later hexagonal pedals are the same.
If longy has square pedals this will be the problem.
Mine passed it's mot with the drum braked pedal and where ok around town taking it easy. Once you started to push a bit, the brakes where crap. I changed the pads, the fluid even though it was new in fact everything was new.
I think one of the problems is with the fluid return, the drum pedal not allowing enough fluid back to the cylinder. Effectively pumping the rear brakes up which eventually stops the front been applied fully.
One one occasion the rear drums had actually started to lock up and the only way to release them to drive home was to open the bleed valve on both rear cylinders to let the pressure off.
All this is single circuit on a 1970 mini with full S brake set up.
The way I fixed it was to fit a brake pedal from a '86 mini.

longy

1536 Posts
Post Whore

Bicester

Thanks for the feedback guys,

Colin the pads currently on there are Mintex GBP103MIN, ill get some 1144's.

I there is definitely too much bias towars the rear as i can lock up the rears. All in all apart from the front discs/calipers/pads the system in tired and needs overhauling.

Just found this thread on the mini forum,
http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/topic...ni-brake-pedal/

1972 998 TURBO SLEEPER

Sprocket

11018 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Which shows that the pedal ratio is still the same but the pedal is just higher up

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

D4VE

2779 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

So are you saying theres no operating difference between older pedals/newer pedals/servo pedals?

On 5th Apr, 2018 Sprocket said:
Which shows that the pedal ratio is still the same but the pedal is just higher up

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Rear brake cylinder size
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: