Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > 998cc > another 1098 build

Pete B

80 Posts
Member #: 11548
Advanced Member

Calne Wiltshire

Hi all I have been lurking around for a while but am now starting to sort out an engine for my ongoing project
Started off with a. 998 in mind then read about 1098 and like the sound of them producing more torque.
So sourced a 1098 crankshaft which I have just had checked and reground. I am going to use a 295 head measures around 2.75 Renault 5 turbo. From what I've been reading hypatec pistons from mini sport aus should be good or are there better alternatives' around. Any help is much appreciated
Thanks Pete

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

Hello.

The hypatec pistons that MS Uk used to sell were amazing. The Aus ones are not as nice. The best pistons are the Omegas, but lots of money and for the 998 not the 1098 (so pin height is different I think??? not sure).

Turbo choice and head are just right.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

Pete B

80 Posts
Advanced Member

Calne Wiltshire

Thanks for your reply wil looks like I may have to do some ringing around looking to run about 10 -12 psi of boost so do you think the aus hypatecs will be ok if I cant source any others.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

I recently bought some 1098 pistons from Calver ST. Look the same as the Minispares ones.

https://www.calverst.com/webshop/engine/cst...0-040%E2%80%9D/

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Pete B

80 Posts
Advanced Member

Calne Wiltshire

Wasn't sure if CR would be low enough being flat top hypatecs have 6cc dish my thinking was if CR was too low with them easier to adjust by skimming the head but if flat tops give ok CR will go with them

Edited by Pete B on 25th Sep, 2018.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

You'll need to lose about 3cc from the pistons or head to bring the CR down to 9:1. If you're using the T2 and and intercooler, then that will be fine.

Probably worth doing a little head work to take out 3cc, deshrouding the valves a bit and a general tidy up should do it.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

or i reckon yo could get 3cc put into the flat tops ok.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Pete B

80 Posts
Advanced Member

Calne Wiltshire

Spot on thanks for the knowledge will order up some calver st ones

Pete B

80 Posts
Advanced Member

Calne Wiltshire

Thanks for the advice so far .I have got a set of calver st pistons +40 dropped off my block head crankshaft camshaft to an engineering works .He has asked me what head gasket I am planning on using from what I can see on old posts a good quality copper gasket is the best way to go can anyone confirm this? Thanks Pete

HighlandTurbo

3 Posts
Member #: 11827

Hey Pete, hows yours going, i've just joined and am doing the same build pretty much

Pete B

80 Posts
Advanced Member

Calne Wiltshire

Slow progress at the moment I've had the block re bored +40 calver st pistons sticking with standard rods and crank just all balanced centre main bearing strap .Head was going to just be a freshen up unleaded valve seats and chambers taken out to correct CR .but now going for slightly bigger valves and ports polshed. Going to rebuild my gearbox and fit a cross pin diff .

Attachments:

Home > 998cc > another 1098 build
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: