Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Efi Supercharged Blow Through

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Member #: 9038
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

There was once a mini in one of the mags that had a polo gti engine in it, which had the radiator underneath

turbominik

76 Posts
Member #: 8976
Advanced Member

Hi its been like that for the last 7 years and i never had over heating problems, considering that we have a very hot climate in Malta

On 30th Jul, 2018 jonny f said:
Impressive. Will be interesting to see if it gets enough air flow under there. Great ideas.

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

Thats excellent!

On 30th Jul, 2018 turbominik said:
Hi its been like that for the last 7 years and i never had over heating problems, considering that we have a very hot climate in Malta

On 30th Jul, 2018 jonny f said:
Impressive. Will be interesting to see if it gets enough air flow under there. Great ideas.

turbominik

76 Posts
Advanced Member

Hi a bit more update today I finished the intake pipes and the bypass valve pipe.

Next job is to fit the coil on the clutch housing.

Edited by turbominik on 16th Aug, 2018.

NickG

744 Posts
Member #: 7912
Post Whore

Australia oi oi oi!

very nice

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

All looking very neat

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

Yo-Han

967 Posts
Member #: 3228
Post Whore

North of the Netherlands

Very nice package

Dazed and Confused....

turbominik

76 Posts
Advanced Member

Hi, its been a long time since I done some updates on the project but i was waiting for some items that I ordered. First of all thanks for all the nice comments on the project.
So, last time I was going to fit the coil on clutch housing and here it is

I also fitted the pressure regulator and fabricated a throttle cable bracket

Next thing to do is to rewire the hole car except the flip front. I decided to change the entire wiring because I have to add more fuses and relays to the system that its better to start from scratch than try to fix the existing wiring, since I already modified it more than once when I added the gauges and the power steering.
So after removing the old wiring I started by fitting the new fuse box

fitted the MS3X and relocated the power steering module.

giannoutsos

166 Posts
Member #: 8952
Advanced Member

Athens Greece

Looking good, keep it up. Almost there.
John

turbominik

76 Posts
Advanced Member

Hi all some updates on the wiring, so far most of the wiring under the dash is almost complete. Ignition switch, indicators switch and wiper switch are ready epas is ready and i started to the plugs for the gauges.

And next thing is the connect all these wires

into the fuse box

turbominik

76 Posts
Advanced Member

Hi a little update the fuse box is ready the ecu connection are also ready and finally started the wiring on the engine.

Edited by turbominik on 24th Nov, 2018.

turbominik

76 Posts
Advanced Member

Hi finally the wiring is done *Clapping* next is step is to assemble the intake and exhaust manifold with new gaskets.

turbominik

76 Posts
Advanced Member

Hi finally the engine is all assembled.

Also today I connected the battery for the first time, light indicators wipers seem to work properly and than curiosity kicked in and i tried to start the engine and surprisingly the engine started, it was rich because it smoked like a diesel engine. The most surprising thing is the I never connected the laptop to the ecu. Tomorrow I will connect the computer and start to configure the ecu.

Edited by turbominik on 13th Dec, 2018.

turbominik

76 Posts
Advanced Member

Hi today I finished to fit the wheel speed sensor for the speedometer and the epas ecu.

First I started by fitting a Corsa B front wheel speed sensor on the rear right mini backplate.

Than I modified the bearing hub so that will accommodate a ABS wheel.

I also had to fabricate an ABS wheel that has 30 teeth, the corsa b has 29 teeth but since the mini has smaller wheel I added 1 teeth.

The signal that generates the wheel speed sensor is not good for epas ecu so I had to fit a sort of analogue to digital converter which is that orange box also from a corsa b

turbominik

76 Posts
Advanced Member

Hi the speed sensor is ready and functioning well.

The engine starts, it need some more tweaking with the warm up enrichment, but when warm idles almost perfectly at 1000 rpm. I don't know if any one have any experience with the spartan 2 wideband sensors, the first sensor that monitors the inner cylinders failed on the third time that I started the engine from cold, than the second one on the outer cylinder failed a week after 😠.

I have an other problem with the closedloop idle control. I'me using a throttle body from a Renault Megan 1 1.6L engine, the idle controller valve is a 4 wire stepper motor, the polarity is correct because it response properly to the commands I give. On open loop idles fine it oscillates gust a little bit probably because of the camshaft, and light weight flywheel even when it was with the carburetor it idled worst so definitely a huge improvement with fuel injection. With closed loop it starts to oscillates from 900 to 1200 some times even worst. It seems that the engine responds so fast to the slightest correction that the idle valve makes, that it is impossible to maintain the target idle. I think I came to the conclusion that the stepper motor pintle is so tapered that the slightest movement that makes to correct the idle speed it either lets to much air or reduces too much the air flow. I think the problem is that the Idle valve pintle taper is made for 1.6L engine and so its made to flow more air than that is needed for a 1.3 engine. I thought if i make a pintle valve with a less aggressive taper will solve the problem.

Edited by turbominik on 28th Jan, 2019.

turbominik

76 Posts
Advanced Member

Hi I attached a log and the current tune since I'me having trouble with the mixture balance between inner and outer. I'me using the two pulse system (each injector is connected to 2 drivers)
Can you advice me which is the best injection setup, the one that I'me using or the single pulse (each injector connected to one driver).

On the log file afr1 = outer cylinder afr2 = inner cylinder

turbominik

76 Posts
Advanced Member

Hi I'me having a problem to upload the log file and the tune how can I upload them
Thanks

Edited by turbominik on 1st Mar, 2019.

turbominik

76 Posts
Advanced Member

Hi these are the links for the files
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TgaGZ_PBR8...ew?usp=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ubCtWoHtDM...ew?usp=drivesdk

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

How have you setup the injector timing?

I've not used the 2 pulse method yet, basically because I'm happy with single pulse.

This is the timing table for my lads NA 998 which is in regular use:

This is based on single pulse, mid pulse timing, so it delivers the fuel around TDC. Hence, if you subtract 90 degrees from all the values, it should deliver fuel mid-stroke.

You will need to set up tables for both primaries and secondaries. Can you run the engine without boost? Only it would be ideal to get the primaries sorted first before moving onto the secondaries.

Edited by Paul S on 3rd Mar, 2019.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

turbominik

76 Posts
Advanced Member

Hi Paul did you manage to open the two links of the log file and the tune so that you can see the setup?

On 1st Mar, 2019 Paul S said:
How have you setup the injector timing?

I've not used the 2 pulse method yet, basically because I'm happy with single pulse.

This is the timing table for my lads NA 998 which is in regular use:

This is based on single pulse, mid pulse timing, so it delivers the fuel around TDC. Hence, if you add 90 degrees from all the values, it should deliver fuel mid-stroke.

You will need to set up tables for both primaries and secondaries. Can you run the engine without boost? Only it would be ideal to get the primaries sorted first before moving onto the secondaries.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Right, I have now looked at the files.

You seem to be making good progress. I've put your data into a scatter plot showing average and differential AFRs:

I see that you are using cylinder trims to fine tune? So I assume that you got it as close as you could with the injection timing before trimming?

Seems like it had a bit of a fit when the secondaries came in.

EDIT: Also with the injection timing that you are using, you're probably injecting into the open valve on the outer cylinder, then into the dead port 180 degrees later. I suggest adding 180 degrees to all your injection timing values.

Edited by Paul S on 1st Mar, 2019.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

turbominik

76 Posts
Advanced Member

Yes I got it close as possible without trim but worst part is bellow 3500rpms then it's start to equalize as it gains more revs.
As for injection since the injectors are wired according to the firing order, if the injector is injecting on the outer open valve the next injection is 540 deg after on the inner open valve if I'm not wrong.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 1st Mar, 2019 turbominik said:
As for injection since the injectors are wired according to the firing order, if the injector is injecting on the outer open valve the next injection is 540 deg after on the inner open valve if I'm not wrong.

That is true. It the assumption that your timing is delivering to the outer cylinder that is under question.

However, having thought about it some more, you must be doing just that else most the fuel would be going into the inners. I assume that you are using mid pulse timing?

turbominik

76 Posts
Advanced Member

I'm using beginning of squirt but I used the other two options but with the same results. I will reset the fuel trim to 0 and try to advance more the timing, do you think that if i add 180 degrees to the existing map will help to balance the mixtures?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I suggested adding 180 degrees to your injection timing as it is much lower than mine for single pulse, whereas I would expect it to be only slightly lower. Try it, but it may not work very well. At least you can verify that all is happening as it should.

You're making good progress and are obvioulsy very capable of sorting this out. The problem you have is that you have gone straight in with the most advanced setup with lots of settings that can make changes to the fuel distribution. Only one other person I know on here has used that method but he started with the single pulse method which nailed down a lot of the settings before venturing into the unknown.

My approach is to use the single pulse setup initially, which I've done several times now and then move onto the 2 pulse setup, which I have not done but have a plan.

If you start with the single pulse setup, you can use VE Analise Live to sort out the VE table. All you manually have to do is sort out the injection timing table, making adjustments to ensure that the fuel slug arrives at the intake valves around TDC, no. 1 or 4 intake stroke. You will need to work with both the primary and secondary tables. This should give you a good running setup with equal fuel distribution.

Once the VE and Injection timing tables are sorted, in theory, you should then be able to return to 2 pulse setup, adjust the injection timing 90 degrees to deliver the fuel slug mid intake stroke on all cylinders. As you already have an injection timing table that delivers at TDC you should have reasonable confidence that you can set it and then leave it alone.

However, due to charge robbing, the inner cylinders need less fuel than the outers. As you have a VE table from the single pulse setup that is correct, there is no need to adjust it, instead use cylinder trim tables. Reducing the fuel to the inner cylinders and increasing the outers by the same amount.

Edited by Paul S on 3rd Mar, 2019.

Home > Show Us Yours! > Efi Supercharged Blow Through
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: