Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > General Chat > MID (motor insurance database) issues ?

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

OK, not really Mini related but anyone had any experience of the MID given that it's what the police use with static and mobile ANPR cameras to see if you are insured.....

I finally had enough of my daily Mondeo TDCi after I had to get it back on the back of yet another recovery vehicle two weekend ago only to run all the diagnostic codes and injector leakage test to confirm the cost of new parts was more than it was worth.....

So I bought something else.

I changed the insurance the day before I picked the new one up and could print a new insurance certificate from their website (Admiral multicar) which I did before I drove it but, two days later, MID still says un-insured ...

When I phoned Admiral they re-affirmed I'm insured but say MID take up to 14 days to update their database...........

Considering the police can seize your vehicle if MID says un-insured, that is just unbelievable.

And, no, you can't contact MID to sort it out, you have to deal with your insurer who state in my case that the details were submitted to MID on time....

Anyone else been here ?

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Surely when the police are doing the check before seizing it they ring your insurers to double check... ive atleast seen that on them stupid cop programs

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Seen it on TV too, but it begs the question whether the cops have a special 24hr phone number for the major insurers because I had to wait until 9am on Saturday to phone them to verify the change had been properly made and it was just the MID that was wrong.

The point is, how many times do I risk getting stopped before the database is updated ?
As of this morning, it still says I'm un-insured...

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

MID is an "indication", and can take a long time to update

realistically they should be using the PNC system which i belive is tied straight into the insurers databases or at least updated a lot more regularly.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Good point Joe, but the PNC system accesses insurance data from the MIB database. So the question is whether the real MIB database is properly up to date and the public access version (MID) is the slow one.
I found out yesterday that, although MID don't provide a contact phone number or email (they just say contact your insurer), MIB do, so I emailed them. Bank Holiday weekend so I don't suppose I'll hear anything for a while.

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

if the cars not on the mid and police have no reason to presume your not the new owner etc then you will get a Hort/1 form to produce your documents at an mot station in 7 days or so. I forget the exact figure cause it's been a while since I've been a hooligan (i.e.had the mini on the road). police can size the car if they believe your driving around without insurance but I guess it's at their discretion. for what it's worth when I update the mid on my traders policy(can have up to 20 personal vehicles) it's usually updated within 24hr then I can go tax the car.

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

evolotion

2909 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

long and short is your ok, if concerned keep your cover note in the car for a few days till the mid is updated.

Denis O'Brien.

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

Exactly. Don't waste any more of your time worrying about it. It's a none issue with zero risk.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

You are all correct of course, I'm at little risk (apart from being pulled for no reason) as I've downloaded and printed a copy of my new insurance certificate.
It's just a rant that we are encouraged to use these type of databases and, in my case, it is clearly wrong....
But I guess 1,500 junior doctors aren't to happy about the NHS database from what I saw on the news this morning....

evolotion

2909 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

Well I bank with the TSB, ask me how much fun its been lately.. a justified rant, with todays tech its not unreasonable to expect things to be updated near enough instantly.

Denis O'Brien.

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

The tech is generally fine. It’s the people that implement the tech and the testing they complete....

MID is just a database that gets updated periodically and published to the web for ‘consumers’. It is not definitive proof that your car is/isn’t insured.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 9th May, 2018 apbellamy said:
It’s the people that implement the tech and the testing they complete....

So the MID was finally updated on Wednesday, 4 days after the purchase and MIB did email me back after the Bank holiday asking what was wrong then again on the 10th saying the database had been corrected.

So there I was thinking I was safe to go out on the road....

Until my new V5C arrived today and the postcode was wrong....

It's not even a valid house name / post code combination, the post code is the other end of the village and there is no house with the same name down there.....

In fairness to DVLA when I phoned them I did actually get a quick answer and she said she could correct it over the phone and issue a new V5C but when I asked her how this could happen she said the forms from the dealers are scanned and OCR'd so if it wasn't written neatly the OCR could get it wrong (my letter should have been a B, they had scanned it as D).

But it begs the question, how could their database accept an invalid house name/postcode combination and still print the certificate.....

Home > General Chat > MID (motor insurance database) issues ?
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: