Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Wanted > K1100 bucket shims

Barrieri

307 Posts
Member #: 11231

Hi Chaps,

I was just setting the valve clearance on my K1100 head and noticed that the buckets that came with the head which are (2.80mm, 2.85mm and 2.90mm) are too thick to have between 0.15mm to 0.2mm clearance. I tried the 2.80mm on each valve individually with a 0.04mm feeler gauge and it still doesn't go in. I'm thinking that the appropriate size would need to be around 2.60mm. Does any of you guys have a set of these or maybe at least some laying around which you are either willing to part or sell.

Thanks,
Carl

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Motorworks will sort you out unless someone's willing to trade you for the ones you have.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

Barrieri

307 Posts

Yeah Motorworks will do but they are extremly expensive

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Take the valves to an engine rebuild shop and have them take .2 off the top of the stem. That’s what I ended up doing; was a lot cheaper than buckets.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Barrieri

307 Posts

Oh thanks Dave, my brother suggested the same idea but I thought it might be a bit of a risky job to do it. I think I'll use the surface grinder with a chuck mounted on the table, if I don't manage to find anyone willing to trade.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

just to be sure, daves talking about machining the valve stems not the buckets.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Barrieri

307 Posts

Sure Joe. My idea was to machine the bucket actually but I think the bucket is too thin to do this and also you might be removing its hardened layer.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

I'd check everything again. Inlet is 0.15 - 0.20mm (0.006 - 0.008"), exhaust is 0.25 - 0.30mm (0.010 - 0.012").

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

Barrieri

307 Posts

What do you mean sprock ? You mean checking again before machining the stems ? Actually I just bought a Starret feeler gauge to be sure that I'm getting this right.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

My Bad........ One question though, have the valve seats been re cut?

So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

Barrieri

307 Posts

To be honest I don't know. I bought the head off SC and I didn't ask for the seats to be cut, although I'm assuming that they have been.

Just a bit of update on this now that you are bringing it up, I have bought one smallest bucket size of 2.55mm and the 0.1mm feeler gauge still doesn't go in. From my calculations if I use the lot of 2.80mm - 2.90mm that came with the head, I need to take off around 0.60mm off the stem.

I think I'll try just one on the surface grinder and see how it goes. I'm really not happy about this though.

Edited by Barrieri on 21st May, 2018.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

How about you leave out the bucket, and simply measure what gap you have, and hence what bucket you need?

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Barrieri

307 Posts

That is what I did Dave to have come up with the 0.6mm to be grinded off the stem.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

That’s a fair chunk. I doubt there are many of the smaller size buckets in circulation, most I’ve come across are 2.8 to 2.95mm although I’ve come across some 2.75mm ones recently, those seem hard to find excepting new of course but the cost is a little prohibitive.

That’s one thing the 8v head has going for it I suppose, and the fact you can Change the shims with the cams still in the head.

Edited by Sprocket on 21st May, 2018.

Home > Wanted > K1100 bucket shims
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: