Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > New actuator fitted dump valve open on idle

Chandavi01

5 Posts
Member #: 11740

Midlands

Hello Chaps,
Finally got round to fitting a new actuator to my Garrett T3 owing to low boost issues. I purchased a bran new actuator which was fixed at 9 psi. After installing it, the car is a little rough on idle and I noticed that the dump valve is open slightly on idle and fully opens if you blip the throttle. I'm guessing that the increased boost is causing this? I took her for a spin and when you plant your foot the boost kicks in at around 4,000 RPM which is later then previous but it kicks in much harder and pulls very well. I want to know if there is anything I should do to prevent any damage like, twin buying a twin piston dump valve, rich up the mixture, spark plug gap etc?

Any advice greatly appreciated, cheers.

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

Fit an AFR gauge, an intercooler (9psi is a bit high without one) and take it to a rolling road to be set up properly.

metroturbo

806 Posts
Member #: 989
Post Whore

North Yorkshire

You won't have any boost at tickover, and you'd be lucky to get any boost just blipping the throttle. The issue is with your dump valve.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Excellent AFR gauges are so cheap these days, it’s crazy to not run one.
I agree the issue is more likely the DV but you may also want to look at soldering up the butterfly poppet valve.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Chandavi01

5 Posts
Member #: 11740

Midlands

Thanks Guys, I've ordered an AEM wideband kit already as monitoring the mixture is near the top of my list. My question arose because I never had this issue before fitting the new actuator. I just wanted to make sure that I had done nothing wrong. Not sure how soldering up the poppet valve will affect this issue on tick over but I do have some plain butterflies which I will fit next time the carb is off. Cheers.

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

The spring on the poppet valve can become weak and cause issues. Which is what Dave was suggesting.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > New actuator fitted dump valve open on idle
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: