Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Introduce Yourself > Renewed enthusiasm!!

Jd24-7

55 Posts
Member #: 11761
Advanced Member

Worcestershire

Hi, After 20 years of my mini languishing in a shed, i got the urge to bring it back to life.
In the mid 90's i drove a friends turbo mini and it convinced me to do the same. I bought a £60 le engine /box and a turbo from a metro with an exploded diff( figured if diff could get out of casing, then turbo was good!!) Turbo with head was £25. ( wish i had stockpiled!!)
I ditched the head in favour of standard and carved out some metal to help with CR.
This was extent of mods and i drove this for a couple of years. It was great fun and very lively despite probably only making 80 od hp.
The fun started to fade as unleaded fuel took over. Unwilling to pay for super unleaded, i backed off boost to compensate. This , combined with the discovery of failed head gasket, somehow convinced me to transplant a cavalier sri engine into it. This was a worthy experiment and the performance and quietness were both welcome. However, it lost the mini feel, and when i broke the engine, i parked it in a shed and left it for dead...
For a while i have contemplated bringing it back to life, and this week however, i dragged out the old turbo lump which has sat for over 20 years , pulled it apart and carted off the block and crank for fettling. Time has not been kind , and there is a fair bit of rust inside, but hopefully the buzz is back and this will soon be back in its propper place...

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Member #: 9038
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

Awesome, enthusiasm comes and goes i find. Have you got any pictures?

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

That’s quite the pause.

Makes me wonder about all the other folks I’ve met over the years that have slowly and quietly disappeared... I’m sure lots still have the minis tucked away, waiting for inspiration!

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Jd24-7

55 Posts
Advanced Member

Worcestershire

Here goes. Before and after showing 20 years Patina!! even in the engine.
Shiny pic was with 1.8 Vaux (2 weekend build plus 2 weekend respray in garage) in the days when i could get things done, and not arse about for years ..

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

Welcome :)

Jd24-7

55 Posts
Advanced Member

Worcestershire

On 31st May, 2018 jonny f said:
Welcome :)

Thank you *smiley*

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Awesome that you kept it all this time! Well done you

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

Jd24-7

55 Posts
Advanced Member

Worcestershire

I guess i was lucky to have a shed to dump it in. 20 years seems a long time, but the last 20 has passed in a blink.
Anyway, the turd is polished. Looks ok in pics, but is still a dog. The paintwork was never that good, but it now has a sort of vintage patina of crazed old paint. Will have to make it fast to compensate!!

Attachments:

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Welcome. Good luck with your project.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

Welcome

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

On 16th Jun, 2018 Jd24-7 said:
it now has a sort of vintage patina of crazed old paint. Will have to make it fast to compensate!!

That adds to the sleeper effect

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Its got a tow bar!

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Jd24-7

55 Posts
Advanced Member

Worcestershire

On 18th Jun, 2018 TurboDave16V said:
Its got a tow bar!

Its a restrictor in case of excess power. Not been used yet!!

Jd24-7

55 Posts
Advanced Member

Worcestershire

Well, not being able to go out for a while has been a bit of an incentive to get the mini working and out on the road (for essential trips only) The 1275 is still in a box wrapped in oily rags and paper.. held back by spiraling cost really (Head refurb, new clutch , dodgy gearbox/diff etc) So Instead i bought a cheap 998 so that i could put the car back together and get things back up and working. Fuel, exhaust and Megajolt to name a few. The T3 turbo is also fitted, straight from the 1275 so that i could sort all the plumbing and replace missing parts.. I don't think it brings any power to the party, but it does seem to make a measly 3-4PSI at somewhere around 4500Rpm. So I guess it still works!!
The biggest surprise is how bloody scary a mini now feels after 20 years of grown up cars.. it isn't even remotely fast. I cant really believe i used to tear round with the Vauxhall engine wedged under the front, torque steering all over the road!!
Tow bar came in useful to park the dog..

Hopefully will still have some money left to get that 1275 sorted after lockdown....

Attachments:

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Awesome, good idea on just shoving another lump in to make it mobile n have some fun 👍

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

theoneeyedlizard

7260 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Keep at it. Money and time are typically the enemy of our projects.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Nice to see some progress after all these years.

Phil.

Edited by Turbo Phil on 1st Apr, 2020.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

excellent.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Jd24-7

55 Posts
Advanced Member

Worcestershire

On 2nd Apr, 2020 robert said:
excellent.

Robert, i just watched your youtube link, i saw the start of your project when you put it on TurboMinis a while back. You have a very good artistic eye to create what you have from what you have used. As it was a black cab, can it still use bus Lanes?? As a tube bender in my early engineering career, i very much appreciate the work and the art that has gone into your exhaust sytem, not to mention the rest of the car. I saw the response from people at the show you parked it at and it just shows that we all need a bit of crazy in our lives. It also shows what can be achieved despite the tighter rules around modified and specials. Kit cars have died and the Re-bodies have risen from the ashes!!

JD

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

On 1st Apr, 2020 theoneeyedlizard said:
Keep at it. Money and time are typically the enemy of our projects.

And now we have the time and not necessarily the money. Trying to press on with mine but then realise there is bits I can better but that'll cost money.

Home > Introduce Yourself > Renewed enthusiasm!!
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: