Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Introduce Yourself > Renewed enthusiasm!!

Jd24-7

4 Posts
Member #: 11761

Worcestershire

Hi, After 20 years of my mini languishing in a shed, i got the urge to bring it back to life.
In the mid 90's i drove a friends turbo mini and it convinced me to do the same. I bought a £60 le engine /box and a turbo from a metro with an exploded diff( figured if diff could get out of casing, then turbo was good!!) Turbo with head was £25. ( wish i had stockpiled!!)
I ditched the head in favour of standard and carved out some metal to help with CR.
This was extent of mods and i drove this for a couple of years. It was great fun and very lively despite probably only making 80 od hp.
The fun started to fade as unleaded fuel took over. Unwilling to pay for super unleaded, i backed off boost to compensate. This , combined with the discovery of failed head gasket, somehow convinced me to transplant a cavalier sri engine into it. This was a worthy experiment and the performance and quietness were both welcome. However, it lost the mini feel, and when i broke the engine, i parked it in a shed and left it for dead...
For a while i have contemplated bringing it back to life, and this week however, i dragged out the old turbo lump which has sat for over 20 years , pulled it apart and carted off the block and crank for fettling. Time has not been kind , and there is a fair bit of rust inside, but hopefully the buzz is back and this will soon be back in its propper place...

hazpalmer

1461 Posts
Member #: 9038
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

Awesome, enthusiasm comes and goes i find. Have you got any pictures?

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10810 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Thatís quite the pause.

Makes me wonder about all the other folks Iíve met over the years that have slowly and quietly disappeared... Iím sure lots still have the minis tucked away, waiting for inspiration!

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Who remembers this first time around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF0a5aoEGsw

Jd24-7

4 Posts

Worcestershire

Here goes. Before and after showing 20 years Patina!! even in the engine.
Shiny pic was with 1.8 Vaux (2 weekend build plus 2 weekend respray in garage) in the days when i could get things done, and not arse about for years ..

jonny f

1833 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

Welcome :)

Jd24-7

4 Posts

Worcestershire

On 31st May, 2018 jonny f said:
Welcome :)

Thank you *smiley*

D4VE

2774 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Awesome that you kept it all this time! Well done you

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

Jd24-7

4 Posts

Worcestershire

I guess i was lucky to have a shed to dump it in. 20 years seems a long time, but the last 20 has passed in a blink.
Anyway, the turd is polished. Looks ok in pics, but is still a dog. The paintwork was never that good, but it now has a sort of vintage patina of crazed old paint. Will have to make it fast to compensate!!

Attachments:

Turbo Phil

4208 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Welcome. Good luck with your project.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

gr4h4m

4743 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

Welcome

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

hazpalmer

1461 Posts
Member #: 9038
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

On 16th Jun, 2018 Jd24-7 said:
it now has a sort of vintage patina of crazed old paint. Will have to make it fast to compensate!!

That adds to the sleeper effect

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10810 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Its got a tow bar!

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Who remembers this first time around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF0a5aoEGsw

Home > Introduce Yourself > Renewed enthusiasm!!
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: