Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Somethings given up...ideas please?

Andy500

869 Posts
Member #: 2443
Post Whore

Cheshire

Hi All,

Well after 4 yours and finally finding a bit of time to get the Mini back on the road its been rather short lived! MOT went great, car fully serviced and running well but i know it was lean so took it to get a tune up on the rolling road.

Anyhow it seemed to do pretty well, it was lean so needed a lot of work to the needle and got good power for a pretty standard 1293 NA just an SW5 cam, air filter and exhaust above standardspec!

Anyhow on the last run something gave up on the clutch which means i now cant get any gears and had to get the car home stuck in 1st (luckily i dont live far away!)

Symptoms are that master and slave appear to be working fine and the arm is moving and hitting the stops. All gears can be selected when engine is off no problem! As soon as its running it no gears can be selected and something sounds like its rattling round in the clutch housing when at tick over! Dissapears on revs. At one point the clutch did seem to work for a second but then gave up again!

Will pull it out over the next few weeks and take a look but before I do any guesses on likely causes?

Thanks
Andy

Attachments:

Edited by Andy500 on 17th Jul, 2018.

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

No point guessing really, pop the wok off and have a look first of all. Sounds like something release bearing related perhaps.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

Andy500

869 Posts
Post Whore

Cheshire

Yeah, the rattle stops when i depress the clutch as well! Can i pull the wok off without lifting the engine out? Cant remember as its been about 10 years since i last took one off!

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Yes, disconnect the exhaust and clutch side steady (and front /rear lower clutch side steadies), engine mount bolts, and jack her up. Watch for radiator contacting inner wing. If you didn’t notch the bottom two PITA bolt holes in the wok, do so before re-installing, so you can wind the bolts in until they have a 11mm gap, and you can drop the Wok down in there. Absolutely the best thing you can do is to drill a few 20-25mm holes in the side of the subframe that aligns with the PITA bolts; easiest way is to make a paper template on the inside of frame referencing engine mount holes, then move to outside and drill thru with a hole saw or cone/step drill.

Edited by TurboDave16V on 17th Jul, 2018.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Andy500

869 Posts
Post Whore

Cheshire

Good advice, thanks for the help TurboDave...my jobs for the weekend sorted then!

slater

1030 Posts
Member #: 1291
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

Ball on the end of the clutch arm bent/come off maybe? Not getting enough travel to disengage?

I'd check that first

theoneeyedlizard

7261 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Ball fallen off then end of the clutch arm?

In the 13's at last!.. Just

MikeRace

6549 Posts
Member #: 1149
#1 Basshunter Fan

Force Racing ICT Dept Manager Miglia Turbo Am frum Yokshyer tha noes!

Primary Gear seized on crank?

Mine did this after being stood for a long time.

If you can, try putting it gear and pressing the clutch in then starting it. It might free it off. This worked for me but only for a short period and it ended needing a new brass bearing machining.

Also had the ball snap off the arm too so went back to and old shitty one I had as i think there is a poor batch of new ones kicking about.

Edited by MikeRace on 19th Jul, 2018.

1/4 Mile 14.3secs 96Mph Terminal 10psi of boost.

Fibreglass Parts? - http://www.tdkracing.co.uk/
Split Rims? - http://www.force-racing.co.uk/

Andy500

869 Posts
Post Whore

Cheshire

I did try starting in gear with clutch in but it just drives the car forward! That’s how about had to get it home! Starting in gear! I took the slave cylinder etc off earlier and the plunger does seem rather loose so may be the ball, it moves quite a lot very easily is that normal? it’s like there’s nothing on the other end of it!
Will try together wok off this weekend and take a look too

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Sounds like it is the ball. Easy to check.
It’s never a bad thing to have a spare arm on-hand, and as someone mentioned, the ones from back in the day are definitely a lot better than the ones made a few years ago. I’m not sure about current production ones however, but the verto arm I got recently seems ok (but there is a lot less load on the shorter arms).

Edited by TurboDave16V on 20th Jul, 2018.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Andy500

869 Posts
Post Whore

Cheshire

So, finally got the wok and clutch off today and the problem is pretty obvious! It looks like one of the bolts that holds the pressure plate together has backed it self out and then caught one of the springs on the friction plate, ripped it to its and ripped the remaining threads out of the pressure plate! Hopefully pics will upload and this was how it came apart! 3 of the remaining bolts in the pressure plate could also be loosened by hand so I guess it was a poor build! It’s disappointing as the engine etc was put together by a very well known builders!
So good news is it looks like it just needs a clutch plate and pressure plate. What’s the best one to get? It’s not a stupid power engine. The flywheel and housing are off an injection by the looks and all in very good condition still. Current pressure plate has a green spot on.
Cheers
Andy

Andy500

869 Posts
Post Whore

Cheshire

Pictures

Attachments:

Andy500

869 Posts
Post Whore

Cheshire

Picture

Attachments:

Andy500

869 Posts
Post Whore

Cheshire

Picture 3

Attachments:

Andy500

869 Posts
Post Whore

Cheshire

Picture 4

Attachments:

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Somethings given up...ideas please?
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: