Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Running hot?

c2_mad

368 Posts
Member #: 4215

hi

i have just recently got my mini back up and running after having it sat for 4 years and have a few questions for you guys.

1. my mini runs hot, it will quickly get up to around 3/4 of the temp gauge. but stays there generaly. is this ok, or is it runing to hot? in my mind its to hot. but might be normal(cant remember) if it to hot, what can i do to fix it?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TgunQryR8i4bFc8G6

2. how much oil should there be in the dashpot?

3. i was thinking about fitting an overflow reservoir for the rad. has anyone done this? what the best way?

Attachments:

c2_mad

368 Posts

anyone?

wil_h

9195 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

Give us a chance!!!

If the temperature stays there, why worry. Might be worth checking the thermostat and sensor if you're worried.

As long as there is some oil in the dashpot, it should be ok. You can't overfill it.

Unless your car is boiling over, I'd not bother with an overflow resevoir

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

c2_mad

368 Posts

thansk wil h , just thought that if its to hot, it might damage the head gasket or something.

it only really boils over if i have been driving it a bit harder and come to complete stop and dont let it idle and "cool down a little bit"before i switch it off

Brett

9432 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

shouldnt be boiling over at all imo

as for dashpot oil, as a minimum you need to be able to feel it with the damper
filling to the top wont harm anything though

My B18VtecTurbo Awd Mini 2 years in, been running for 2years +.... vtec just kicked in yo
Instagram @jdm_brett

On 14th Feb, 2014 robert said:
I think he thought his car was 465kg ,and you then guessed it at 565kg , and stuff me !! you were right

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10850 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

If itís blowing water, you need to address it.
That said, do you have the stock side mount setup? You donít want to fill the water up to the brim of the filler neck; I find it best to keep it about an inch above the fins in the radiator, so there is room for expansion.

However as it costs so little to do; Iíd recommend pulling thermostat and checking it in a pot of water with a known temperature reading device such as thermometer / thermocouple. Donít assume you should just replace it with a new one until you have tested it - thermostats, like rubber components, seem to be really crappy quality these days, And when you buy off-the-shelf might be junk compared to what youíre taking out!

Edited by TurboDave16V on 23rd Sep, 2018.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Who remembers this first time around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF0a5aoEGsw

c2_mad

368 Posts

thanks for the tips guys*wink*

i do have the side mount yes. i was overfilling it right to the brim, but have since only filled it to just above the fins.

been letting it idle a bit and cool down before completely shuting it of, and have had no boiling for a while. but i will check the thermostat and maybe get a separate water temp gauge to make sure it correct.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10850 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

I recently added a Spal fan, also getting rid of the stock yellow fan, and wish Iíd have done it years ago! It pulls tons of air irregardless of engine speed and (along with the alloy rad) has just about got my cooling under control.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Who remembers this first time around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF0a5aoEGsw

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Running hot?
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: