Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > Mapping advise. Misfire

dazibee

553 Posts
Member #: 1356
Post Whore

TRURO, CORNWALL

Evening all. Dont shoot me but I went and bought an Sc 5 port management kit. I'm mapping it on the road using my wideband and having success, great driveability compared to my carb and megajolt. My spec is 1293cc, Gt17' turbo, metro turbo inlet manifold opened up to 50mm to suit 50 mm SC throttle body, twin 660cc injectors, Delta Ecu. Audi TT intercooler.

Here's the problem. Despite the large injectors i can get a good idle at 14:1 afr, but at 1500, 2000 and 3000 rpm at the sam vacuum as idle, ie stationary, it misfires unless I richen it up to 12:1. This is gonna ruin any king of economy i might get as this is the pootling around/ de-accelleration area of the map and i reckon I should be able to set that quite weak as there is no load. Its ok at all other loads.

Ive tried opening up the plugs to 35 thou, putting a lot more advance in this part of the map (30degrees), but nothing changes. Any ideas. Cheers

dazibee

553 Posts
Post Whore

TRURO, CORNWALL

So 40 views not one comment i guess my car is too boring, and crap, this is turbominis 2018 dying on its arse i guess.....
Did i forget to mention my car is made from old beer cans, weighs 180 kgs with full tank of fuel, i think megasqirt is better than Vems lol.
Now has that waken anybody up for a discussion or does nobody care no more.? NB this is a mini with a turbo on it that im asking about, thats whats this site was about, once no?

Edited by dazibee on 16th Sep, 2018.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

I think the main issue for not getting any reply is that not many people use the SC setup. And I'm not sure how many of them do their own tuning.

If this were a Megasquirt setup I would tell you to make sure you use 4 squirts per cycle so that you have the best fuel distribution possible.

With the SC ECU, I have no idea how many injection events there are per cycle nor if you can change it. If it is fixed at something less than 4, you can very well have serious charge stealing which you won't be able to correct for. And the only way to know is to have at least 2 wideband O2 sensors to monitor the inner and outer cylinders (pre-turbo). With a single post-turbo sensor, you only see an average and that may hide a huge mismatch between cylinders.

It might be something completely unrelated to this but without the ability to check, it can't be dismissed. You could at least check the spark plugs to see if they look similar but that's only valid if you check them just after running in the problem area.

http://www.jbperf.com/

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

I didn’t have much success with the SC setup. I kept blowing headgaskets, this was due to the timing moving about, we never found why, I would be driving along and suddenly the timing would drop to -2! Nothing in the map we could see was doing it.
So I would do some data logs as and see what else is happening at the misfire.

Someone else on here a good few months ago from across the pond was haveing the same timing issues might be worth searching them out. Will had success with the ecu. I ditched my setup.

Edited by gr4h4m on 16th Sep, 2018.

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

dazibee

553 Posts
Post Whore

TRURO, CORNWALL

Im fairly sure this setup runs 4 squirts per cycle.
My timing seems steady at the affected load / rpm site. In fact adjusting it makes little difference.
I was thinking because the throttle body is quite big and the inlet manifold has been opened up to suit maybe the gas speed is very low? i have since cracked open the butterfly a bit to get some air in and slowed the engine to tickover speed by retarding the ignition at idle to 5 degrees.

dazibee

553 Posts
Post Whore

TRURO, CORNWALL

That gave me a decent idle, but it still wants to misfire 1500-2500 rpm only off load unless i richen it to 12:1 at these sites

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

Ive dabbled a little with the SC stuff on a K head motor, so not directly the same as not boosed so tps mapped, but I ran into a problem with timing at idle, and IIRC (its a few years back now) the issue was a setting related to the TPS that was fucking with the advance at idle. We got the car to SC and Simon sorted it in about 4 minutes and then mapped the motor.

Hardware wise I think the SC ECU is good but the user interface needs work, obviously Simon has no problems with it, but IMO its not as intuitive as other stuff. so its easy to overlook a setiing that will screw the tune.

timing wise, 30 degrees sounds ok, but you can probably go to more advance at a low vacuum, (I asume your below 50kpa?) Also there soule be no reason to open the plugs up, and i'd say that could compund the problem, a lean mix will be harder to light, so you might need to close them, I'd set them to std, or if i dodnt kow what that was 25-30 thou.

As mentioned I'd be looking at the plugs for an obvious mixture skew, maybe pointing towards an air leak that is leaning off 2 cylinders so you have a lean misfire despite being at around stoich.

Also, if you havent already, validate the timing is what you think it is, at idle, and at the RPM your seeing the issue, and that its not going awol due to an erroneous setting kicking in,
Also I assume your Wideband is calibrated ok to the ECU so they show the same, and Also turn off any closed loop fuel stuff, as this can swing the mixture causing problems, and if you do turn it on make sure its set to somthing low, like 5%, and not around 30 like Ive seen it set to on the SC base maps.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

Joe raises a good point. I’m guessing Simon would be money well spent.
The interface is terrible when you look at others on the market. Some of the settings were not easy to understand.

As a side point I’d the trigger and sensor stable?

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

dazibee

553 Posts
Post Whore

TRURO, CORNWALL

I have closed loop turned off. Idle is very steady so dont thing there is an air leak. Lambda has been calibrated and the readings seem consistent. When the misfire starts the afr swings from lean to rich snd lean to reach etc.
I have spoken to the rolling road operator SC use and he told me to richen up the low load parts of the map where the misfire occurs. I have done this, the misfire has gone but it seems silly to have 11.5 afr when you have fuel injection.

With the carb there was no misfires, i am using a different vr sensor, coilpacks, leads now with the injection setup.
I think I will close up the plugs to 25 thou, keep the extra advance in, get it misfiring and using those Lazer spark plug testors which glow red, i can see if anything is happening to my sparks.
Last time I checked my plugs they were all the same, but the time before that number 4 was white. I need to check the plugs again

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

I’m just wondering if it’s just because you now can measure how rich it is that you are concerned. E.g was it always just as rich with the carb, but you just didn’t know?
I know the theory says with fuel injection that it shouldn’t need to be that rich but as we all know the throttle body injection and Siamese ports mean it’s never going to get anywhere near port injection and single injector per cylinder.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

dazibee

553 Posts
Post Whore

TRURO, CORNWALL

When i used to make my own needles i could get the no load/1000-5000 rpm parts of the needle all to afr 13.8:1 without any probs. Same engine and everything,up until i converted to efi a few weeks ago.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 16th Sep, 2018 dazibee said:
I have spoken to the rolling road operator SC use and he told me to richen up the low load parts of the map where the misfire occurs. I have done this, the misfire has gone but it seems silly to have 11.5 afr when you have fuel injection

Why does a good idle at 11.5 seem "silly" - this is not a modern engine, even Vizard says they need to run rich at idle. (I won't go into the reasons why but they are fairly obvious when you consider the 60 year old engine design).

Especially because of the charge robbing, and you are only reading the average AFR, not what's happening in the individual cylinders.

Just set it to what's best for your individual engine at idle and then start to worry about what's happening under load.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgKJX13B1xE

inners, outers and after turbo at idle (~850RPM) but ignore the after turbo reading at idle as, at the time I video'd this, I had a small air leak before the third sensor which is skewing the third reading lean.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts

&

TM legend.

When i used to make my own needles i could get the no load/1000-5000 rpm parts of the needle all to afr 13.8:1 without any probs. Same engine and everything,up until i converted to efi a few weeks ago.

Yes, but the constant stream of air fuel mix from the SU is not the same as discreet injection periods. I think you are just finding the limitations of the setup.

Like fuel 😂😂

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts

&

TM legend.

Also, you say that the vacuum is the same at idle as at your cruise/light load, but surely the throttle position isn’t the same. So surely you can set it differently to suit. If it needs 12:1 in a certain box to run nicely then thats just what it is.

Like fuel 😂😂

dazibee

553 Posts
Post Whore

TRURO, CORNWALL

Yea rod and tom you are probably both right. After an su I'm probably expecting perfection. If I find there is nothing wrong with the sparks/ecu settings I will set it how the engine likes and go for it. On a plus note I've only been pissing around with it a bit but I already have amazing drive ability. 2:9 diff ten inch wheels, 2.5 first gear, I used to be stuck in first gear round my local hilly roads by the speed bumps Now I can use second or third. Getting there. Cheers

dazibee

553 Posts
Post Whore

TRURO, CORNWALL

I can set the idle mixture where I like it (13.8:1) same as an su. But no load sat stationary revving to 1.5,2.0, 3k is where it misfires. This is same part of map as deceleration around 30 mph

On 16th Sep, 2018 Rod S said:
I have spoken to the rolling road operator SC use and he told me to richen up the low load parts of the map where the misfire occurs. I have done this, the misfire has gone but it seems silly to have 11.5 afr when you have fuel injection

Why does a good idle at 11.5 seem "silly" - this is not a modern engine, even Vizard says they need to run rich at idle. (I won't go into the reasons why but they are fairly obvious when you consider the 60 year old engine design).

Especially because of the charge robbing, and you are only reading the average AFR, not what's happening in the individual cylinders.

Just set it to what's best for your individual engine at idle and then start to worry about what's happening under load.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgKJX13B1xE

inners, outers and after turbo at idle (~850RPM) but ignore the after turbo reading at idle as, at the time I video'd this, I had a small air leak before the third sensor which is skewing the third reading lean.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

I can set the idle mixture where I like it (13.8:1) same as an su. But no load sat stationary revving to 1.5,2.0, 3k is where it misfires. This is same part of map as deceleration around 30 mph

Same applies as at idle if it's got no load on it. Whatever it runs best at which, with an A-series, is going to be somewhat rich when it's unloaded. I'm not sure what the two axes are on the SC "maps" but at no load you are going to be in cells that represent fairly high vacuum whatever the RPM element of the cells are.
Just set those cells to where it idles (or fast idles) best, or at least acceptably if you want to try and keep it as lean as possible.

It is quite probable that your misfire when you try to aim for 14.7 is just the outer two cylinders. Re-reading your initial post, two 660cc injectors is very large for a throttle body setup which means the pulse width is going to be very small at no load (whether that is idle, 2k, 3k, whatever, no load equals little fuel) so at 4 squirts per cycle it is going to be 4 very short duration slugs of fuel being shot into the inlet manifold.
As Jean and Tom have said, that is very different to a continuous atomised stream the SU gives. And because the SC setup (and any other "wet manifold" setup) cannot target the individual cylinders you will get charge robbing and charge robbing is likely to be worse the shorter the pulse width is because it will have less time to atomise at it leaves the injector nozzle so the fuel vs air acceleration down the ports is potentially going to be worse along with wall wetting and all the other siamese anomalies.

The important bits to get right are the cells which equate to high load and esp. high load and high RPM (to protect the engine) and then cruise - which is where there is some load on the engine, different to what you are talking about at the moment - if you want fuel economy.

EDIT - typo

Edited by Rod S on 17th Sep, 2018.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

dazibee

553 Posts
Post Whore

TRURO, CORNWALL

This makes a lot of sense. Good explanation

On 17th Sep, 2018 Rod S said:

Same applies as at idle if it's got no load on it. Whatever it runs best at which, with an A-series, is going to be somewhat rich when it's unloaded. I'm not sure what the two axes are on the SC "maps" but at no load you are going to be in cells that represent fairly high vacuum whatever the RPM element of the cells are.
Just set those cells to where it idles (or fast idles) best, or at least acceptably if you want to try and keep it as lean as possible.

It is quite probable that your misfire when you try to aim for 14.7 is just the outer two cylinders. Re-reading your initial post, two 660cc injectors is very large for a throttle body setup which means the pulse width is going to be very small at no load (whether that is idle, 2k, 3k, whatever, no load equals little fuel) so at 4 squirts per cycle it is going to be 4 very short duration slugs of fuel being shot into the inlet manifold.
As Jean and Tom have said, that is very different to a continuous atomised stream the SU gives. And because the SC setup (and any other "wet manifold" setup) cannot target the individual cylinders you will get charge robbing and charge robbing is likely to be worse the shorter the pulse width is because it will have less time to atomise at it leaves the injector nozzle so the fuel vs air acceleration down the ports is potentially going to be worse along with wall wetting and all the other siamese anomalies.

The important bits to get right are the cells which equate to high load and esp. high load and high RPM (to protect the engine) and then cruise - which is where there is some load on the engine, different to what you are talking about at the moment - if you want fuel economy.

EDIT - typo

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

All in all it would appear to be an engine/general arrangement issue rather than an ECU issue.

As said, all you can do is make it so it runs right and ignore the fact it's rich.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

dazibee

553 Posts
Post Whore

TRURO, CORNWALL

Ok guys thanks for the input. I will put it back together over next few days and try a few ideas

Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > Mapping advise. Misfire
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: