Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Back dated build .finally getting to the engine

Pete B

80 Posts
Member #: 11548
Advanced Member

Calne Wiltshire

July not much changed went away on a holiday and trying get engine rebuild in place.Fitted sound deadening to inside of floor along with carpets

Attachments:

Edited by Pete B on 17th Sep, 2018.

Pete B

80 Posts
Advanced Member

Calne Wiltshire

August 2018 seats and belts have gone in .Door waist seals and the mirrors

Attachments:

Edited by Pete B on 17th Sep, 2018.

Pete B

80 Posts
Advanced Member

Calne Wiltshire

September 2018 not surprizing couldn't reach the switches when strapped into the seats so made up a new housing and moved fog light switch with brake level check light
So that is up to date so far my engine is in the process of being rebuilt then going to rebuild the gearbox run it N/A untill run in and then have a go at adding turbo/ intercooler

Attachments:

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Excellent effort. It's good to see it nearly completed. Nice choice in colour to.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

wayne miller

211 Posts
Member #: 10890

Twin Cam Turbo Build In Progress Rothwell, Northants

Agree with Phil on the colour choice. It looks great

Pete B

80 Posts
Advanced Member

Calne Wiltshire

Thanks for the comments think colour choice has been hardest part of the build so far was going to be almond green originally then started liking the way tweed grey looks a bit green in the sunshine so looked for a green/grey . Similar to this think its actually tweed grey.

Attachments:

wayne miller

211 Posts
Member #: 10890

Twin Cam Turbo Build In Progress Rothwell, Northants

I'm thinking Olde English White for mine next year.......but I really do like Grey too. Don't worry I'm gonna stick to White :)

I think :)

Pete B

80 Posts
Advanced Member

Calne Wiltshire

Not had much time for the project so far this year and had been waiting for my cylinder head to be overhauled which is now all done .also have been saving money up for gearbox parts and decided to go for minispares clubman straight cut set and and complete bearing kit which I have just finished putting together this morning surprized how well it went apart from firing syncro hub balls around the room.

Pete B

80 Posts
Advanced Member

Calne Wiltshire

Have finally found some time to put the engine and gearbox together had to take a trip to Somerford Mini spares to get replacement bolts for the ones I put in a safe place about 2 1/2 years ago and can't find them just as well its a 5 minute journey.
Decided to change the block colour to green to match the head and thanks to one of will h old posts checked my centre main cap as had a centre main strap fitted and common problem is losing the retaining lugs so drilled and bolted the thrusts hopefully save me an engine rebuild.
One other slight problem is the water pump pulley is just catching on the thermostat housing seem to remember reading about having to grind a bit away to use the large pulley on a 295 doesn't need much taken off . All being well should hopefully get the engine back under the bonnet at the weekend.

shane

2619 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Rad’ fan on backwards?

Shane

Pete B

80 Posts
Advanced Member

Calne Wiltshire

Thanks for pointing that out it was late did try it both ways and got confused .I've had another look today the pulley is slightly buckled so about 1/4 of a turn just rubs on thermostat housing part of the head will have to take a hammer to it .

Pete B

80 Posts
Advanced Member

Calne Wiltshire

Sorted the water pump pulley at work today used the old pump with a bolt in it as guide then tweaked it with pliers now got a nice gap between the head also turned the fan around the right way *smiley*

Attachments:

Pete B

80 Posts
Advanced Member

Calne Wiltshire

No surprize not quite gone to plan engine is still sat in the house got messed about with a speedo drive and have put together an RTS clutch that I started months ago its now together but been to busy to go and get re balanced hopefully find time next week.Also had a scare when adjusting the tappet clearances something went rattle rattle clonk fearing something had gone horribly wrong I left it for a day borrowed an inspection camera and was relieved when I looked inside the wok to find it was just the c clip for primary gear had fallen out

Pete B

80 Posts
Advanced Member

Calne Wiltshire

Flywheel and clutch assembly has been balanced it was 12 grams out .Managed to get the engine back into the car today and trial fit the manifolds carb and plenum was expecting to have to change the bar across the wings but only had to bend it to miss the top of the plenum chamber .Also cleaned up a manifold and carb to use to run it in. Need to mock up the turbo and intercooler next

Pete B

80 Posts
Advanced Member

Calne Wiltshire

Small update not not done much lately fitted breather pipes to valve chest cover transfer case distributor hole and rocker cover all joint up and going into a catch tank then vented to atmosphere through a filter.

Attachments:

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

Looks good.

I would look to revise the breather setup though. It’s best to pipe them all to the rocker cover and then to a catch can. As currently all oil vapour will go to the can. If you pipe it to the RC it gives it a chance to drop out of suspension.

Pete B

80 Posts
Advanced Member

Calne Wiltshire

OK see what you're saying won't be hard to re pipe.

Yo-Han

967 Posts
Member #: 3228
Post Whore

North of the Netherlands

Nice build!
I see a brake line fouling the tie rod, Personally I would be avoiding this.

Dazed and Confused....

Pete B

80 Posts
Advanced Member

Calne Wiltshire

Thanks. Yeah know about the brake line just haven't sorted it out yet. Keep starting other bits and not getting around to it

Pete B

80 Posts
Advanced Member

Calne Wiltshire

Listened to Jonny f and re arranged the breather pipes think it's a bit neater this way as well.

Attachments:

Edited by Pete B on 5th Jan, 2020.

Oli

1733 Posts
Member #: 1910
Post Whore

Wilts

Pete, How come I've never seen this?

I'm chippenham! Will have to meet up!

On 15th Jul, 2009 fastcarl said:
the pissed up clown stood back up, did a twirl and left bollock naked,

Pete B

80 Posts
Advanced Member

Calne Wiltshire

Oli pm sent *smiley*

Pete B

80 Posts
Advanced Member

Calne Wiltshire

Bought a Fletcher ally rad and fitted it although will have to take it out again to fit the trigger wheel to crank pulley when I buy the megajolt kit also painted the breather pipe on the rocker cover and started to make the mount for the intercooler and also sorted the brake line

Attachments:

Edited by Pete B on 4th Aug, 2019.

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Member #: 9038
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

Kean has a megajolt bracket in the ebay tread if its any use

Pete B

80 Posts
Advanced Member

Calne Wiltshire

I couldn't decide what grille to use and trying to save money for other bits so bought some cheap plastic mesh and had some fibreglass sheet at work so after a few experiments came up with this.

Attachments:

Home > Show Us Yours! > Back dated build .finally getting to the engine
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: