Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > BMW K Head Cam Followers / Buckets

wayne miller

211 Posts
Member #: 10890

Twin Cam Turbo Build In Progress Rothwell, Northants

Hi All I’ll be setting my valve clearance next week and I’ve just had my valve seats re cut so I’m expecting to have to get some thinner followers. Do any of you have any spare that you would like to swap? If not where’s the best place to get them from?

Wayne

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Motor works sell them. They're not cheap by the time you've bought a few though.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

wayne miller

211 Posts

Doh! I’ve just looked and can’t see them on their site, grrrrrrr

On 20th Sep, 2018 Turbo Phil said:
Motor works sell them. They're not cheap by the time you've bought a few though.

Phil.

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

The other option is taking a slither off the top of the valve stems and use the buckets you have.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

wayne miller

211 Posts

I’ll get it all set up and measured when the head gets returned to me next week 👍🏻

fastcarl

6962 Posts
Member #: 507
Fastest A Series Mini in the World

leeds/wakefield.

its a Sliver, as in thin piece, not slither as in what a snake does,.

On 21st Sep, 2018 minimole23 said:
The other option is taking a slither off the top of the valve stems and use the buckets you have.

WWW.FORCE-RACING.CO.UK PLEASE CLICK HERE

wayne miller

211 Posts

I’ve just dug put my box of bits and checked my cam followers. I have :

5 x 2-70
4 x 2.75
4 x 2.80
3 x 2.85

I wonder how many will still fit after having the valve seats recut

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

On 23rd Sep, 2018 wayne miller said:

From my experience, None.
Just accept that this is going to take a while to get right, but that it will be worth it!
Personally, I numbered every valve, Lapped them in, then one at a time I installed them, measured the gap between the lobe and valve stem, then removed it, measured the overall length, and calculated what the new overall length needed to be that put me right in the middle of the range of buckets I had on hand... I took them back to the shop and had him grind the stems to the length needed per the measurements I supplied. I initially tried it just holding the valve in place, but would get small variances in my measurements, so I just put the spring force tgere knowing I would get consistent readings!

Yes it’s a pain, but it is worth it!

Before you do put them back in, It is with installing your camshafts and making sure they turn freely! My head had obviously shifted ever so slightly (somehow) when being welded and both cams were tight. I simply spent 30 mins with a sharp Stanley blade shaving the offending area away, until they turned with just light resistance.

Edited by TurboDave16V on 23rd Sep, 2018.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

wayne miller

211 Posts

Cheers Dave,

I appreciate the advice and love the idea of installing the camshafts first and checking rotation.

Wayne

On 23rd Sep, 2018 TurboDave16V said:

From my experience, None.
Just accept that this is going to take a while to get right, but that it will be worth it!
Personally, I numbered every valve, Lapped them in, then one at a time I installed them, measured the gap between the lobe and valve stem, then removed it, measured the overall length, and calculated what the new overall length needed to be that put me right in the middle of the range of buckets I had on hand... I took them back to the shop and had him grind the stems to the length needed per the measurements I supplied. I initially tried it just holding the valve in place, but would get small variances in my measurements, so I just put the spring force tgere knowing I would get consistent readings!

Yes it’s a pain, but it is worth it!

Before you do put them back in, It is with installing your camshafts and making sure they turn freely! My head had obviously shifted ever so slightly (somehow) when being welded and both cams were tight. I simply spent 30 mins with a sharp Stanley blade shaving the offending area away, until they turned with just light resistance.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

I’ve just dug put my box of bits and checked my cam followers. I have :

5 x 2-70
4 x 2.75
4 x 2.80
3 x 2.85

I’d hazard a guess that the valves had previously been re ground in another life, as most of the heads I’ve had have used 2.95’s, 2.90’s, and 2.85’s. With the work I’vee had done over the years, I’m now getting down to mostly 2.85’s, 2.80’s, and 2.75’s. The 2.70’s are hard to find used.

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

wayne miller

211 Posts

I pick the head up from Santa Pod tomorrow so I'll have a look at things tomorrow/afternoon or Sunday.

On 28th Sep, 2018 Sprocket said:
I’d hazard a guess that the valves had previously been re ground in another life, as most of the heads I’ve had have used 2.95’s, 2.90’s, and 2.85’s. With the work I’vee had done over the years, I’m now getting down to mostly 2.85’s, 2.80’s, and 2.75’s. The 2.70’s are hard to find used.

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > BMW K Head Cam Followers / Buckets
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: