Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Introduce Yourself > Hi from Norwich - Yam R1 project

LukeH

9 Posts
Member #: 11802

Hello everyone

I thought I'd sign up so I can get involved in the forum. I plan on doing plenty of research here for my classic mini project.

I have a 1997 cooper that's undgoing a full restoration and transformation. The shell is off on a holiday in Jan 2018 to be fully restored and repainted. Meanwhile I am working on all the running gear and engine conversion, a Yamaha R1.

Following a ride in my mates new lotus exige s I am thinking a supercharger might be a fun way to go. I don't know how feasible it is to supercharge an R1 engine so let the research begin!

Luke

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

Sounds like fun. The Rotrex supercharges can work well on bike engines, they're used extensively in hillclimbing.

The difficult bit is driving the supercharger as bike have no external pulleys. I'm not sure it's been done before, but you never know.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

LukeH

9 Posts

I guess I am showing my noob lack of knowledge. I was thinking the drive could come from the output shaft of the R1 gearbox which connects to a chain system on the Promotive conversion kit I will be installing.

TTS Performance produce a kit for a later model 07/08 R1 that takes drive from the crank using an Rotrex supercharger.

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

Would of imagined you need engine speed to drive it, so straight from the crank rather than driven of the gearbox as that will mean it’s spinning at the wheel speed rather than engine rpm.

LukeH

9 Posts

On 28th Sep, 2018 jonny f said:
Would of imagined you need engine speed to drive it, so straight from the crank rather than driven of the gearbox as that will mean it’s spinning at the wheel speed rather than engine rpm.

Yes you are correct and I realized that after posting this morning (and after a bit of googling). Driven off the crank is feasible if I can overcome the relocation of the stator perhaps by replacing with an alternator that's driven by the same drive belt.

Perhaps a turbo will be a better option?!

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

Yeah. Needs to be from the crank, or you'll get more and more boost as you go through the gears.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

steve2016

81 Posts
Member #: 11403
Advanced Member

Would it not be easier going with a turbo instead?

LukeH

9 Posts

On 28th Sep, 2018 steve2016 said:
Would it not be easier going with a turbo instead?

I am quickly discovering the answer to that is yes! I've found quite a good guide on the R1 forums detailing a turbo conversion. Seems like a much easier route than the work involved to supercharge

Home > Introduce Yourself > Hi from Norwich - Yam R1 project
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: