Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > General Chat > Mot exemption

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Ok so i understand that u need a v112 form and you just sign that when you get tax from the post office BUT my problem is i already have tax... so now the mots out but i dont need one how will i be declared mot exempt until next year when i come to tax it?

Cheers in advance

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

I don't understand.

The government website says,
"You do not need to get an MOT if the vehicle was built or first registered more than 40 years ago"
and
"You do not need to pay vehicle tax if your vehicle was built on or before 31 December 1977"
So if, as of today, you no longer need an MOT its age must be 40+ so it must have been made before October 1978 so to still have/need tax are you in the no mans land of built between 31st Dec 1977 and October 1978 ???

If so, I think the line at the bottom of the government page which says
"You do not have to apply to stop getting an MOT for your vehicle each year. However, you must still keep it in a roadworthy condition"
is your get out. ie, you do nothing until you need to get a V112 to change it to "historic" vehicle for tax purposes.

I'm just wondering the same as I'm about to put my Series 3 Land Rover back on the road (potential bad winter) but mine has long since been changed to "historic vehicle" so my reading of the rules is the "You do not have to apply to stop getting an MOT" is that I don't have to do anything to "tax" it.

The trouble is I can't test out that theory because I haven't re-insured it yet so I can't apply for its free tax disc (and hence force the system to check its MOT status) because it will show as no insurance and block me.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

SORN it on 31/10 then tax it online on 1/11.

When you go to tax it online it will recognise the car as historic and you will need to make a declaration, same as on the V112, that it is not substantially modified or something like that.

When I did mine it did not check for insurance, just gave me tax at the cost of £0.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 8th Oct, 2018 Paul S said:

When I did mine it did not check for insurance, just gave me tax at the cost of £0.

You are absolutely right Paul, my Land Rover is now "taxed" (zero fee) without the insurance being checked, and there isn't any yet.....

I thought the MID database was kind of fundamental to this..... Apparently not.

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

Do as Paul says.

When you tax it online it will take you through the process.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Ive finally found what ive been looking for... it says that if the mot runs out after the tax then i do not have to declare anything yet and it will be understood as mot exempt on database but i shall then declare it october next year... handy *smiley*

P.s becareful taxing your landrover without insurance. You will get a fine as in there eyes your saying its on the road with tax (no longer sorn) so they view it as its being used on road without insurance...

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 8th Oct, 2018 D4VE said:
P.s becareful taxing your landrover without insurance. You will get a fine as in there eyes your saying its on the road with tax (no longer sorn) so they view it as its being used on road without insurance...

Interesting thought......
But if they don't bother checking MID when you "tax" it, why would they check after ???

I haven't had a SORN reminder on it (or a couple of other projects) for at least three years so I thought they'd given up on SORN, well at least for anything that has previously been declared.

But better safe than sorry I suppose, and as I want it available if we do get a bad winter....

Fully comp, £50 compulsory excess (zero voluntary), limited mileage (obviously) but at an outrageous £73.
You've got to love classic car insurance, that's not much more than the official cost of an MOT.

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

On 9th Oct, 2018 Rod S said:

I haven't had a SORN reminder on it (or a couple of other projects) for at least three years so I thought they'd given up on SORN, well at least for anything that has previously been declared.

At some point recently common sense kicked in and so they changed SORN from requiring renewal annually, to it running continuously once declared until you tax the vehicle. Much better.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 9th Oct, 2018 Tom Fenton said:

On 9th Oct, 2018 Rod S said:

At some point recently common sense kicked in and so they changed SORN from requiring renewal annually, to it running continuously once declared until you tax the vehicle. Much better.

Not sure if its a good thing or a bad thing, as it might free up resources to be anal about other equally less important stuff, like asking for engineers reports to clarify the change of CC from 1275 to 1399. "Rover never made a 1399 engine"

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

Home > General Chat > Mot exemption
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: