Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > non-genuine turbo rebuild kits (GT20) - consensus?

adcyork

539 Posts
Member #: 6807
Post Whore

York

I need to rebuild a GT2056 and I would buy genuine Garrett without question normally but the only kit available seems to be a universal one that covers two different variations and costs £130!

Is there a more specific kit available?

if not, what is the consensus on the ebay special type rebuild kits? The new chinese copies of the GT17 and GT20's seem to be pretty good so logic would follow that the cheaper rebuild kits shouldn't be too bad either?

monsterob

264 Posts
Member #: 11029

Crewe

I am planning to use turborebuild.co.uk for my replacement gt17 chra they are mellet cores for about the 130 mark however they do offer upgraded turbos with billet compressor wheels etc up to the 270 mark . Worth a call or message on Facebook

Outside the box

adcyork

539 Posts
Member #: 6807
Post Whore

York

On 1st Nov, 2018 monsterob said:
I am planning to use turborebuild.co.uk for my replacement gt17 chra they are mellet cores for about the 130 mark however they do offer upgraded turbos with billet compressor wheels etc up to the 270 mark . Worth a call or message on Facebook

Thanks Rob. They were the website I referenced with the universal genuine Garrett kit for £130.

The 3rd party rebuild kits are around £25 though. Not really interested in a complete new CHRA as the core I've stripped is in great nick

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

For what it's worth the GT1752-VNT on my old Mondeo TDCi failed at ~60K miles.

Being the original Ford fitment (as far as I could tell) it would have been genuine Garrett. The shaft itself had broken in half which I think was a fatigue failure due to imbalance as there was a bit missing from one of the turbine blades and the colouration implied the blade had failed first, not as a result of the shaft breaking.

I rebuilt the whole thing with the cheapest bits I could find on eBay, new shaft/turbine wheel and bearing/seal kit, only original bit was the compressor wheel.

It was still running fine when I scrapped the car a couple of months ago (injectors where shot) but, before the scrappies collected it and purely out of interest, I pulled the inlet pipe off and felt for play and it felt no different to when I had first put it together. That was at 120K miles so the cheap bits lasted at least as long as the Garrett.

But it's a gamble because I don't suppose the eBay sellers all get the parts from the same place in China or wherever.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Nick
Forum Mod

4823 Posts
Member #: 154
Post Whore

Midlands

probably way late on this but I bought one of the ebay 160 quid Gt20 cores and it's been fine all this year

On 20th Oct, 2015 Tom Fenton said:

Well here is the news, you are not welcome here, FUCK OFF.

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > non-genuine turbo rebuild kits (GT20) - consensus?
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: