Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Rear coilover help

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Hi all... so i tubbed my rear arches and fitted gaz coilovers (as i already had them) and when i have the mini sitting where i want it height wise the coil is loose when its jacked up.. im sure ive had this as a fail at mot time on other cars in the past? Plus it cant be good for the damper surely?

Am i worrying about nothing? Are any of you lot running like this? I cant find springs seperately?

I am going to fit turretts in the future so raise the coilover an inch or 2 to rectify this problem.. this is just for now so i can have the mini back on the road this year hopefully!!

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

novarally

105 Posts
Member #: 8995
Advanced Member

Poole, Dorset

Helper springs are what you need, available to suit 1.9” and 2.25” spring seats.

novarally

105 Posts
Member #: 8995
Advanced Member

Poole, Dorset

Helper springs are what you need, available to suit 1.9” and 2.25” spring seats.

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

did they do straps limiting the arm going down too far a while ago ?

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Nova rally do you know possibly where from?

Robert do you know where these mount?

Nic

9311 Posts
Member #: 59
First mini turbo to get in the 12's & site perv

Herefordshire

Merlin motorsport, rally design, etc sell helper springs.

I ran coil overs for years that were too long for the car. Although it never got picked up at mot time.
Instead of turretting the damper mounts in the future, you could also consider working out the open/closed length of the damper you need and then get a damper made.

Edited by Nic on 11th Jan, 2019.

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

Protech sell much shorter dampers, if it helps. Pretty sure springs are same size as GAZ.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Hmmm nic? Arent i in need of springs that are longer? So did u mean u ran shorter ones?

Jonny as above arent i in need of longer ones?

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

Nic doesn't say anything about springs?

You could get a longer springs yes. Considering you want to save weight *wink*, probably better to get a shorter protech damper and run your springs? https://protechshocks.co.uk/protech-shocks-...oil-over-rears/

Longer dampers will just make the problem worse as when open they will be longer. If you measure the damper length open, them measure the gap between the spring and platform you will know roughly the length you need.

These guys sell helpers etc if you want to go that route http://www.dfaulknersprings.com/acatalog/1...rd-Springs.html

Edited by jonny f on 12th Jan, 2019.

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

dave i have a vague recollection of there being a simple leather loop , held to the underfloor with a metal bracket /washer simply bolted through the floor , then looped round the arm so it cannot drop too far .

On 11th Jan, 2019 D4VE said:
Nova rally do you know possibly where from?

Robert do you know where these mount?

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Nic

9311 Posts
Member #: 59
First mini turbo to get in the 12's & site perv

Herefordshire

Exactly as Jonny said, and having failed to chase his car round a track I would take his advice...

There is more than one way to limit the travel and you could do what Robert is saying.

I was lost with my dampers that were the wrong length, and I needed to work out open/closed lengths for some replacements.

I measured the length from the pin to where it mounts on the arch at rest.
Removed the damper, measured again in the position where the damper would be compressed.

Now I had the shortest length of the damper, and the length of the damper at rest (roughly in the middle of the travel).
I then multiplied this by 2 to get the full travel I needed and ordered from Protech, they then supplied the correct length spring to suit.

This may not be the correct way to get the damper length required regarding droop, but it’s much better than what I had previously.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Ah yes sorry i was muddled up, i got ya now..

Thanks for the info guys i get it now!! Back off to the garage *evil*

slater

1030 Posts
Member #: 1291
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

This isn't an MOT issue. As long as the springs relocate correctly when the car goes back on the ground it's ok. It should only fail if they're able to come out completely or get into a position where they won't sit back in thier designed spot. Obviously this isnt an issue with aftermarket coilovers.

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Rear coilover help
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: