Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > General Chat > How about a 185/60/10 semi slick, road legal tyre ?

t3gav

2395 Posts
Member #: 229
Gavin@minispares.com

kent

Got a reply but it's not great news, their current machines cannot build a tyre that small currently but they did say they will explore things further and see if it's possible in the near future.

JT

2742 Posts
Member #: 637
Post Whore

Hertfordshire

Fingers crossed they'll be able to make them one day.
Shame Yokohama aren't interested

My build thread..

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=542985

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

What about Dunlop, Avon etc. There is surely a market there. If not long may the A032 reign.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

t3gav

2395 Posts
Gavin@minispares.com

kent

Dunlop and Avon are generally too expensive, a higher price would reduce sales volume :/

slater

1030 Posts
Member #: 1291
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

That's the trouble isn't it. They are doing remoulds! Not that they seem to like advertising that.

slater

1030 Posts
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

Somone you might be able to try is Hoosier. They recently started making a new size of 10'' slick for FSAE. They make road legal radials too tho so maybe they could make a 10inch version .

JetBLICK

243 Posts
Member #: 1261

Droitwich

On 14th Mar, 2019 slater said:
Somone you might be able to try is Hoosier. They recently started making a new size of 10'' slick for FSAE. They make road legal radials too tho so maybe they could make a 10inch version .

Their 10" wet looks very much like it could be passed off as a road tyre without anyone noticing. I did wander about this, but was concerned with the longevity.

I've always wandered if theres a loophole with regards legal race tyres, because the tyres they use for stage rallys are said to be road legal.

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

On 14th Mar, 2019 JetBLICK said:

Their 10" wet looks very much like it could be passed off as a road tyre without anyone noticing. I did wander about this, but was concerned with the longevity.

Use it on a dry road I reckon you'd get about 100 miles out of it!

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

JetBLICK

243 Posts

Droitwich

On 14th Mar, 2019 Tom Fenton said:

On 14th Mar, 2019 JetBLICK said:

What a 100 miles tho! *happy*

slater

1030 Posts
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

I've got some for sale if you want to try lol

JetBLICK

243 Posts

Droitwich

I emailed hoosier the other day asking basically if they have or would make something, they just replied saying they didn't have anything.

Its a shame. I did some research on this and theres actually no legislation for tyres in the uk. Its a grey area, because tyres 'sold' in the uk need to have an e mark, but to use a non-e-marked tyre in the uk is not illegal - as long as it conforms to the 'construction and use regulations'

Its something the hot-rod guys have been dealing with for years it seems, and there is a lot of info around about it.

So i guess if you wanted to you could run a treaded race tyre, provided it doesnt say on the side 'not for road use' and if you didnt mind frequent pitstops.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

My friend cut off the 'not for road use' bit carefully with a blade.. *wink*

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

theoneeyedlizard

7261 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

They’d last a few years for most of us then.

On 14th Mar, 2019 Tom Fenton said:

In the 13's at last!.. Just

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

On 18th Mar, 2019 D4VE said:
My friend cut off the 'not for road use' bit carefully with a blade.. *wink*

I know we have all done a bit of questionable shit over the years but stuff like this is just such a bad idea. Big accident happens, maybe even totally not your fault, but the subsequent investigation finds you are running on tyres not intended for road use. Then maybe in this big accident some poor cunt dies. The fall out is just unimaginable.
The one I always remember is the guy on the M62 some years ago towing a trailer with a Land Rover, he went off the road onto the train line, 2 trains hit the vehicles, 10 people died. A disaster, unprecedented, but it happened. Try explaining to a judge about your tyres in that scenario and see how far you get! I always use this example to folk who haven't/won't do their trailer test as they think they are borderline legal and can blag it. Not worth it.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

duds100

55 Posts
Member #: 8837
Advanced Member

Warwickshire.

I actually think the dry grip out of 165/70r10 AVON CR6ZZ's moulded slick (not cut) is pretty awesome. Big upgrade over my AO32r's on tarmac circuits.

The sidewall construction on the yokos is very soft and they overheat on my car after just a couple of laps in the dry. Having said that, the nice squishy sidewall works well for traction & comfort as a road tyre, and grip on the 1/4 mile.

185/60r10 in theory could be great but the success in any chosen application would obviously not just be down to the profile, but the sum of it's components - carcass/sidewall/shoulder/compound etc

Edited by duds100 on 22nd Mar, 2019.

1976 Mini 1000 FWD R1 - 13.2@104
1975 Mini 850
INSTAGRAM @duds100
youtube.com/miniduds

JetBLICK

243 Posts

Droitwich

On 22nd Mar, 2019 duds100 said:
I actually think the dry grip out of 165/70r10 AVON CR6ZZ's moulded slick (not cut) is pretty awesome. Big upgrade over my AO32r's on tarmac circuits.

The sidewall construction on the yokos is very soft and they overheat on my car after just a couple of laps in the dry. Having said that, the nice squishy sidewall works well for traction & comfort as a road tyre, and grip on the 1/4 mile.

185/60r10 in theory could be great but the success in any chosen application would obviously not just be down to the profile, but the sum of it's components - carcass/sidewall/shoulder/compound etc

I'd not seen those before, and you say u can get them uncut?

They bought the dunlop R7 back not long ago too, though im told thats actually not a very good tyre. I do love the chainlink tyre look though

I've seen them use tyres from 'american racer' in a vintage race series in the states and australia too

duds100

55 Posts
Member #: 8837
Advanced Member

Warwickshire.

I believe the CR6ZZ's are a moulded tread pattern whereas a Yoko A032r's start as a slick tyre and then have the 'aqua tusk' grooves carved in, hence 'cut slick'.

I've just bought a set of Dunlop R7's for my 1975 Mini 850, 1275 A+ road mini i'm restoring. I should have it finished by September so will see what the tyres are like then. I am like you though, I bought them because I like the pattern & they look 'period'

Edited by duds100 on 25th Feb, 2020.

1976 Mini 1000 FWD R1 - 13.2@104
1975 Mini 850
INSTAGRAM @duds100
youtube.com/miniduds

Vegard

7763 Posts
Member #: 74
I pick holes in everything..

Chief ancient post excavator

Norway

On 12th Mar, 2019 adcyork said:
Doesn't look promising... Have you had a reply back Gav?

I assume there are having trouble finding a suitable carcass?

With a picture of a 12" tyre in their ad *happy*

Edited by Vegard on 5th Feb, 2020.

On 13th Jul, 2012 Ben H said:
Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

t3gav

2395 Posts
Gavin@minispares.com

kent

Reviving an old thread but what size would you like, 185/60 is smaller diameter than a 165/70 and a 65 profile is a bit larger...

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

I85/60 would be nice.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Interesting... sounds like some progress has been made.

Certainly wouldn’t want to go taller so 60 it is.

Be ideal if it could Eventually find its way into the MSA approved list 1B alongside the A032

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

slater

1030 Posts
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

Lowest profile you can do.

JetBLICK

243 Posts

Droitwich

On 14th Sep, 2020 slater said:
Lowest profile you can do.

I think they'd look dumb on a low profile 10"

Leave some meat on her i say, some cushion for the pushin

slater

1030 Posts
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

Dumb looking or not it solves so many problems it's well worth pushing for. The only issue you may run into is gearing but with a 2.7 you still get a road drivable car if not a motorway cruiser even down at tiny profiles.

195/50 works really well on 7-8inch rims and mig arches.

Barrieri

307 Posts
Member #: 11231

On 26th Aug, 2020 Turbo Phil said:
I85/60 would be nice.

Phil.

I'm definitely interested in a set of 185/60.

Home > General Chat > How about a 185/60/10 semi slick, road legal tyre ?
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: