Donations towards server fund so far this month.

 
£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Tool to set up valve guides toughts please.

Rammie2000

User Avatar

1657 Posts
Member #: 10190
Post Whore

belgium

Bit rough sketches but enough to have some made by a mate.

1 to drift old ones out
2 to drift new ones in
3 to ream them.

Toughts?

Need tot get a reamer still but thinking of these. http://www.partool.be/nl/articles/boor-en-...eSizeChooser=10


Attachments:

you can do anything if you set your mind to it...
i rather blow it up winning than keep it together losing.

finish date set for project 1... march 2018


TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10906 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

#2 almost impossible to machine cost effectively. Youíd be better off boring and reaming a hole thru the center, and adding Gtol to the end face to ensure perpendicularity. Them heat up, and press in a drill rod that is slightly undersized (or the same size as you reamed and use loctite to secure it.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better


Who remembers this first time around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF0a5aoEGsw


TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10906 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Iím not sure what #3 is meant to do? IMO the best thing to do is buy three reamers and gradually work up to the correct finished size. That is probably more likely to yield better results than this. Fact is, you canít be sure Exactly how concentric the ID of the valve guide is to the OD, and you also donít know how concentric the one that was in there is to the seat already cut.

Edited by TurboDave16V on 27th Jan, 2019.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better


Who remembers this first time around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF0a5aoEGsw


Rammie2000

User Avatar

1657 Posts
Member #: 10190
Post Whore

belgium




On 27th Jan, 2019 TurboDave16V said:
#2 almost impossible to machine cost effectively. Youíd be better off boring and reaming a hole thru the center, and adding Gtol to the end face to ensure perpendicularity. Them heat up, and press in a drill rod that is slightly undersized (or the same size as you reamed and use loctite to secure it.


My mate makes those. So Cost is not An issue. 😉

you can do anything if you set your mind to it...
i rather blow it up winning than keep it together losing.

finish date set for project 1... march 2018


Rammie2000

User Avatar

1657 Posts
Member #: 10190
Post Whore

belgium




On 27th Jan, 2019 TurboDave16V said:
Iím not sure what #3 is meant to do? IMO the best thing to do is buy three reamers and gradually work up to the correct finished size. That is probably more likely to yield better results than this. Fact is, you canít be sure Exactly how concentric the ID of the valve guide is to the OD, and you also donít know how concentric the one that was in there is to the seat already cut.


Stepping up from 7mm to 7.12 MM?

And for the rest. You have a strong Point. Didnt look at it that way. ( 3 was to set the reamer straight.



you can do anything if you set your mind to it...
i rather blow it up winning than keep it together losing.

finish date set for project 1... march 2018


Rammie2000

User Avatar

1657 Posts
Member #: 10190
Post Whore

belgium

Would a handreamer ben good or machine reamer and look for a pillar dril??

you can do anything if you set your mind to it...
i rather blow it up winning than keep it together losing.

finish date set for project 1... march 2018


Paul S

User Avatar

8563 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

I've just fitted new guides to a head with just simple tools:

Big hammer
Parallel drift to remove the old guides
1/4" UNF bolt with the hex rounded down to fit down the guide bore
9/32" hand reamer
stack of washers to set height

Use the hammer, drift and bolt to knock them out. Use the hammer and bolt to knock the new ones in to the height set by the washers.

Ream them out to 9/32". Hand reamers have a slight taper and will not need to be supported to get them straight.

Simples.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."


Rammie2000

User Avatar

1657 Posts
Member #: 10190
Post Whore

belgium




On 1st Feb, 2019 Paul S said:
I've just fitted new guides to a head with just simple tools:

Big hammer
Parallel drift to remove the old guides
1/4" UNF bolt with the hex rounded down to fit down the guide bore
9/32" hand reamer
stack of washers to set height

Use the hammer, drift and bolt to knock them out. Use the hammer and bolt to knock the new ones in to the height set by the washers.

Ream them out to 9/32". Hand reamers have a slight taper and will not need to be supported to get them straight.

Simples.


thnx. the reaming was my biggest worry.

you can do anything if you set your mind to it...
i rather blow it up winning than keep it together losing.

finish date set for project 1... march 2018


Turbo Phil

User Avatar

4359 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Use a press to put the new guides in if you have access to one, hammering them in can deform them. 😎

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM


Rammie2000

User Avatar

1657 Posts
Member #: 10190
Post Whore

belgium

Best i have is a pillar drill. Can press them down with that.


On 5th Feb, 2019 Turbo Phil said:
Use a press to put the new guides in if you have access to one, hammering them in can deform them. 😎

Phil.

you can do anything if you set your mind to it...
i rather blow it up winning than keep it together losing.

finish date set for project 1... march 2018

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Tool to set up valve guides toughts please.
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: