Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Boost pressure depending on ignition timing?

JackZwiebel

113 Posts
Member #: 11786
Advanced Member

Hallo,

i have finally set my ignition up correctly and the engine is running just fine now. The fueling seems correct over the whole rpm range and its running on 4 psi boost.

What makes me think is following: i did a testdrive befor with timing way to soon and i had a boost pressure of 10psi there.

I thought the turbo should work better the more i retard the ignition, since more heat gets to the turbine. Also the maximum boost should be limited by the wastegate and therefore not change with the ignition timing.

I have the wastegate actuator directly connected to the plenum chamber.

So is this normal or should i look for leaks?

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

dont think of the drive for the turbo as heat, or pressure, its energy, so a combination of the two,

generally available turbo drive goes hand in hand with how much fuel is being burnt (efficiently), although there is the old antilag trich of dumping in a rich mixture and retarding, but thats a very extreme situation.

all that aside, yes the wastgate sets the boost, and it should not change with timing once at wasegate level, check for leaks, or a dodgy actuator, or stiff linkage.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

JackZwiebel

113 Posts
Advanced Member

Thanks, im going to check for leaks then.

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

Excessive levels of retard will causes very high EGT's and lead to problems and potential damage.

Run the correct/optimal levels of timing that the engine wants.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

JackZwiebel

113 Posts
Advanced Member

Yeah i am running at the factory settings of the metro turbo now, using the 65dm4 distributor from the metro turbo. Might not be the optimal setting for performance but should be save to run and the engine runs well in all fields.

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Boost pressure depending on ignition timing?
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: