Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > gearbox advice

Pete B

80 Posts
Member #: 11548
Advanced Member

Calne Wiltshire

Hi all I thought I had it all sussed out what way to go with my gearbox slowly building up a 1098 engine hoping to get about 130bhp out of it .So from reading old posts would just about be ok to use helical gears but have been saving my pennies and am thinking of getting minispares clubman straight cut set and keeping helical drops to keep the noise down.Was going to also buy a minispares rebuild kit with the evolution baulk rings but am now confused by old posts saying use genuine rover or old 2nd hand ones .I have only driven the car about 10 miles and 2nd gear was a bit crunchy.As always grateful for any advice. Thanks Pete

Streetscreamer

112 Posts
Member #: 10125
Advanced Member

Zoetermeer, The Netherlands

I did a rebuild of a gearbox some time ago, used the evo baulk rings for 10.000 km now. Not normal traffic but bad boys rally and hillclimbing. No troubles so far.
Just be assured the clutch releases well. And it seems you also have to have sense for the function: it takes time to synchronize. Especially 2nd gear downshift is notorious. It aslo waers the come on the gear, despite it is harder material than the baulk ring

theoneeyedlizard

7260 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

The advice varies because the quality of the rings available has varied. If you are buying the Evo helical headset from Minispares, I’d ask them which baulk rings to use - I’m guessing it’ll be their evo vault rings.

When I bought my SC Evo gearset, I fitted used genuine baulk rings. These didn’t last very long before I got a crunchy 2nd. I’ve now fitted the MS Evo rings hoping for a bit more life from them.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

shane

2618 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

With the minispares SC gear kit, don’t they recommend the steel baulk rings due to the molybdenum coating?

Shane

On 10th Mar, 2019 theoneeyedlizard said:
The advice varies because the quality of the rings available has varied. If you are buying the Evo helical headset from Minispares, I’d ask them which baulk rings to use - I’m guessing it’ll be their evo vault rings.

When I bought my SC Evo gearset, I fitted used genuine baulk rings. These didn’t last very long before I got a crunchy 2nd. I’ve now fitted the MS Evo rings hoping for a bit more life from them.

shane

2618 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

With the minispares SC gear kit, don’t they recommend the steel baulk rings due to the molybdenum coating?

Shane

On 10th Mar, 2019 theoneeyedlizard said:

t3gav

2395 Posts
Member #: 229
Gavin@minispares.com

kent

We no longer stock 'genuine' baulk rings...

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > gearbox advice
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: