Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > K1100 breather setup

Shiner

33 Posts
Member #: 6004

Portsmouth

Looking for some help with the K1100 breather setup.

I have the SC breather block at the fuel pump location that has a breather pipe outlet, another breather outlet on the head end plate above the oil drain and also another breather on the back of the cam cover.

Where do they all go. I have searched and found people mentioning catch cans etc - would these count as a breather as I just imagined it being something like a K&N filter?

I know my old engine had a tank on the transfer box but looking at my one now, I have the flange for this tank but the hole leads to a dead end...

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Shiner

33 Posts

Portsmouth

Ok, a little correction. Just had another look at the transfer case hole and whilst it doesnt look to have an opening to let the engine breath, I tried giving it the kiss of life and tried blowing into it and its not a dead end.
Air is going in somewhere but cant feel an opening whilst feeling inside with my finger.

On a separate note, could I also use this as a means to fill the engine up with oil?

shane

2618 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Edited by shane on 14th Mar, 2019.

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Right hope this makes it easier to see/understand what I’ve tried to achieve.
The black breather block I made originally with 2x 1/2” barbs to which I was going to vent.
This has been replaced with another block I made minus the two 1/2” ports.
The drain from the head has now been extended toward the clutch housing where it will meet with the vent from the housing up to a baffled separator / breather tank.
I’ve purposely not taken off the rocker as the theory (I believe it was Slater) that venting off the crankcase well enough would allow any positive pressure in the head to vent to the crankcase via the drains.
If this proves poor in practice I’ve left sufficient space to add vents from the rocker.
Shane.

Edited by shane on 15th Mar, 2019.

Kean

2406 Posts
Member #: 341
aka T2clubby

South Staffs

That looks bloody tidy Shane

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Thanks Kean, the whole build has been made 3 times.
Shane

madmk1

5417 Posts
Member #: 6181
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

On 14th Mar, 2019 shane said:
Shane

I am looking forward to getting started on my 16v now tbh.

I have started posting on Instagram also my name on there is turbomk1golf

Nothing is impossible it just costs more and takes longer.

On 1st Nov, 2007 Ben H said:
There is no such thing as 'insignificant weight saving', it all adds up.

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

I’ll be glad to get it finished, 10 years is taking the p@@s now.
It would of been less but my OCD hasn’t helped.
Shane

On 14th Mar, 2019 madmk1 said:

On 14th Mar, 2019 shane said:
Shane

I am looking forward to getting started on my 16v now tbh.

Shiner

33 Posts

Portsmouth

Thanks Shane for your help and explanation.

Just so I can understand, you have run the drain from the head to the block mounted at the fuel pump location and then T'd it off and extended it to a separate breather catch tank which also the crankcase breather goes to?

This sounds achievable, although making that catch tank would be difficult with my welding skills, can I just leave it in cardboard form *happy*

Thanks

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Not a problem,

Yes, if you look at the first photo of the rear of the engine this is pretty much what I have ended up with. But the 25mm tube has now been extended to where the clutch housing breather is. Two hoses will then go up to the separator/breather tank.
I’m afraid I haven’t any current pictures of the rear of the engine with the latest revision, hence the multiple images and poor description.
Found another pic showing where the extended tube now runs too, I hope that adds some clarity.

On 14th Mar, 2019 Shiner said:
Thanks Shane for your help and explanation.

Just so I can understand, you have run the drain from the head to the block mounted at the fuel pump location and then T'd it off and extended it to a separate breather catch tank which also the crankcase breather goes to?

This sounds achievable, although making that catch tank would be difficult with my welding skills, can I just leave it in cardboard form *happy*

Thanks

Shane.

Attachments:

Shiner

33 Posts

Portsmouth

Perfect, makes sense. Thank you again.

Nice build by the way.

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Thanks,
Re oil filling I’ve p@@sed around with a few ideas over the years but not really got a definitive yet.
My favored option was a caninableised breather can with a filler on top (similar to what SC sell) but space ruled otherwise.
I then faffed with a filler that drained in to a core plug for the oil gallery on the head between the cam’s. Aesthetically it was nice but made doing anything with the leads a pain, it may of been ok if using coil on plug.
Again hopefully picture explain better.
Shane

slater

1030 Posts
Member #: 1291
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

The block they sell that goes on the fuel pump hole is for the oil drains from the head. You dont want to breath from there as there's too much oil flying about.

Simply take a large breather from the transfer housing and a small one from the top breather outlet on the end of the head. Noting else is needed.

You can also fill oil though the transfer housing. By far the neatest solution.

Shiner

33 Posts

Portsmouth

Could you fill with oil through the dizzy hole or is that hard to get to. Been ages since I've seen my engine in the mini itself?

If going down the route of modifying a breather can to use as a filler on the transfer housing would you 't' in to the pipe to run a breather to it also?

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

I can see that, but that said there has been previous comment on here within other breather related threads that there is a lot of oil flying about around the transfer case breather with the drop gears located below, also I think it was Joe C mentioned once that a lot of oil gets flung out of the dizzy hole if open with the engine running but that hasn’t stopped people using either as breather point successfully.
The advantage you have here is you have a car that’s running and a breather system that dare I say is proven.

I think I saw once on here that someone did use the dizzy hole as an oil filler, but this obviously takes up space at the front of the engine bay that could be used better. I agree with Slater the transfer housing is the neatest option.

On 15th Mar, 2019 slater said:
The block they sell that goes on the fuel pump hole is for the oil drains from the head. You dont want to breath from there as there's too much oil flying about.

Simply take a large breather from the transfer housing and a small one from the top breather outlet on the end of the head. Noting else is needed.

You can also fill oil though the transfer housing. By far the neatest solution.

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=610404 Interesting read.

Shane

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > K1100 breather setup
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: