Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Oil Drain Problems

ian2000t

143 Posts
Member #: 2764
Advanced Member

Halesowen

Need a bit of advice with oil drains. GT1752, home made manifold.

I've just taken the high mileage Saab turbo off to replace with new chinese turbo (max speeding rods), to hopefully cure the oil smoking.

I didn't do the oil drain - my mechanic/mate did, and I can see now it's off, that it's really not a great attempt.

The first pointer, is that it was full of oil when I removed it! Oil doesn't freely go uphill apparently..

Part of my issue is that the turbo on our home built manifold sits a bit lower than Metro/fusion manifolds. So, it's more across than downhill to the fuel pump blank.

Is there anywhere I can drain back to easily that's lower than the fuel pump blank? Without splitting engine/box and drilling holes?

If not, I think I can possibly make something slopes straight from the turbo exit, rather than using a 90 degree bend, which is then too low and has to go back uphill.

Attachments:

1994 Mini Mayfair, 1330, Mspd Ph2 cam, Benross turbo head, 9:1, GT1752, TT Intercooler, MegaJolt, BMW M3 leather seats.

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Member #: 9038
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

Speedo drive? Think some people have returned it there before.

ian2000t

143 Posts
Advanced Member

Halesowen

Possible - but, then I would have to swap to an electronic Speedo and drive I assume?

1994 Mini Mayfair, 1330, Mspd Ph2 cam, Benross turbo head, 9:1, GT1752, TT Intercooler, MegaJolt, BMW M3 leather seats.

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

I think he means drill and tap a fitting into the side of the speedo housing. It unbolts from the gearbox so you can do the mod without stripping the gearbox. You could keep the speedo workings as they are.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

ian2000t

143 Posts
Advanced Member

Halesowen

On 26th Mar, 2019 Tom Fenton said:
I think he means drill and tap a fitting into the side of the speedo housing. It unbolts from the gearbox so you can do the mod without stripping the gearbox. You could keep the speedo workings as they are.

Right, I get you. Number 25 on here?
https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model...rnals-mini.html

That would be a possibility. I think I'll get the spare block and head on the engine stand later so I can see how much slope I can get to the fuel pump drain. It's impossible working down the back of the engine in the car! My spare engine is an "A+" though - are the fuel pump locations the same as an "A" block?

ian2000t

143 Posts
Advanced Member

Halesowen

So, I've got it on the bench, and there is a drop to the fuel pump hole, just not a huge one.

I've started mocking up a new oil drain, just got to work around the coldside casing of the turbo, so it's a bit of a strange shape - but, won't have any "uphill" or "flat" sections.

Do you think this will be free-flowing enough? It's 16mm tube. It will attach with a small link pipe (silicon) to a 16mm pipe welded to the fuel pump blank.

Edited by ian2000t on 28th Mar, 2019.

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Just to pinch back a bit of space, can you make that flange onto the turbo core thinner? Looks very thick.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

Why not go from that alloy base, to say 19mm directly into the block ? Looks like you could get an almost straight shot at it and maybe even with a little downhill slope.

ie weld the 19mm alloy pipe to the existing barb.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

Huronspeed in the US do these nice compact drains for a T3.

Probably not ideal in your scenario, but may be useful for some. Although you could adapt one of them too. I used them on my car, just cut off the AN fitting and welded some 16mm OD pipe to suit.

https://huronspeed.com/product/huron-speed-...ange-side-exit/

Edited by stevieturbo on 28th Mar, 2019.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Oil Drain Problems
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: