Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Turboed 1275GT in Austria

JackZwiebel

113 Posts
Member #: 11786
Advanced Member

@JoeC, thanks yeah i am slowly getting there - it runs pretty fine off boost so far, a bit to the richt side but i leave it there until RR. When going on boost it is still too rich, have to do some more runs, but i guess its definatly doable :)

@Andreas:
Ja das ist Schwenti sein Ex-Wagen und der Motor wurde von Harry aufgebaut - der Grundmotor ist auch weiterhin der von Harry. Den Rest schreib ich in English, wir wollen die anderen ja nicht ausschließen *wink*
The main problem was that the engine was "stored" without oil for 8 years. Also a other turbo was applied. The turbo was a T2/T3 hybrid, and in horrible condition, so i had to do a rebuild first. The engine looked rather good for 8 years without oil so i decidet not to rebuild it. I checked every thing i could tink of, even with a endoscope and everyhting looked fine, so i decidet to start it up. Unfortunly i forgot about the crankcase breather filter. It was rusty and fell in the engine, destroying the oil pump. The filter did quite a good job so the internals were not totally wrecked. I still did a complete rebuild (made by Charly) with new bearings, new honed cylinder walls and so on.
The engine seems fine now, but even after two years of working, trying, looking for help - i and noone else managed to get the engine running properly. I always had that misfireing issue on transit to boost.
Nothing seems to solve that, not a carb rebuild, not another needle, not another oil in the damper, not another spring. the only thing that made it better was a way too advanced ignition. But that would cause problems somewhere else.
So after the rebuilt turbo died (i guess from running uber hot while the ignition was too retarded) i decidet to give up on the carb/dizzy setup and go for mapped ignition and EFI.
I was in contact with harry, but his interests changed and he doesnt know every detail of the engine after such a long time. Now with the mappable ignition i can go to a good RR operator to get it set up.

JackZwiebel

113 Posts
Advanced Member

A quick picture from the last drive out :)

JackZwiebel

113 Posts
Advanced Member

Had it on a dyno last week and i have it set up now - Did go for a very conservative setup at 10psi and got 112hp. For now its enough for me - the little one goes like a little rocket *happy*
It is really drivable now. Only one thing they didnt really figure out is why it still goes lean on transit to boost at about 2000-3000 rpm. We issued that problem with a much much richer mixture in this area what stops backfireing but it still doesnt feel perfectly right. it more seems like covering the problem than solving it.

Also it did use a shitload of oil on the run (aprox. 1l). Have to look where this goes...i discovered some little leaks - have to see if these causes this much loss. I hope so at least *happy*

JackZwiebel

113 Posts
Advanced Member

the dyno run: really like the tourque curve :)

Home > Show Us Yours! > Turboed 1275GT in Austria
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: