Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > No boost

Ryan22lgm

13 Posts
Member #: 11857

My turbo set up is all fitted and engine running well. Booked the car in to be rolling roaded to be told it’s not boosting at all until it’s basically to late high up the Rev range. I had only driven the car gently before hand as I’m very cautious of running lean/rich. Standard metro t3 setup with rebuilt carb.
Triple checked all vacuum lines
Checked wastegate pre-load set about 6mm
Bleed valve piped in correctly as per diagram.
Chap at rolling road checked for boost leaks found one and sorted this for me.
He seemed to think I could have an issue with the wastegate not shutting correctly. Is there anything else I should check before I start stripping it right back down???

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

How about the poppet valve on the plenum not being fitted or not sealing?

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

The actuator could be weak allowing the wastegate to creep, hence the boost only at high RPM. Or the WG is sticking open. If you disconnect the actuator from the WG does the WG arm move smoothly/freely ?

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

Shouldnt take long to check the actuator etc to see if it is closing/closed ok.

Is it ?

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

Ryan22lgm

13 Posts

Cheers Guys haven’t had a chance to try anything yet broke my ribs on the mx bike!!!
The popper valve has been blanked with modified plenum chamber for intercooler pipe takeoff. New gasket put on when carb rebuilt.
I have tried running up the road with the actuator vacuum line disconnected this made no difference. Should I swap it out for a standard actuator as the one fitted is a red aftermarket one? Or should I disconnect it altogether and try to hold the wastegate shut with cable ties to see if I get boost that way?

Thanks again

Edited by Ryan22lgm on 14th Jun, 2019.

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

No, as already said you need to check the w/g is actually closed.

A decent start would be about half a hole tension on the rod

Edited by stevieturbo on 16th Jun, 2019.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

Ryan22lgm

13 Posts

Had a little play with the car tonight. Took carb off and checked the preload on actuator seemed to be around 3-5mm so upped it to about 8mm. Took it for a test drive and seems to be ‘boosting’ but still doesn’t have that turbo car feel. Seems to come in too high up the Rev range. I don’t have a tachometer so can only judge by how loud it is in the car 🤣

metroturbo

806 Posts
Member #: 989
Post Whore

North Yorkshire

Boost from an old school T3 should have arrived by 3000rpm and be obvious, as it isn't very progressive.

Have you got a boost gauge fitted? You really need a boost gauge and a tacho or it's all just guess work.

Ryan22lgm

13 Posts

I do have a boost gauge fitted and it was showing boost but as I say when it’s far to late.
I have had a thought about something that could not be right on my turbo. When I stripped it I noticed no gasket between the wastegate flapper and the housing part. So I used some exhaust paste between the two when rebuilding. Could this be enough to not let the flapper seal??

Edited by Ryan22lgm on 6th Jul, 2019.

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

There isnt supposed to be a gasket there, nor any other crap.

And what do you mean you stripped the turbo.....exactly what did you do to the turbo ? This sounds a more likely cause of problems ?

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

As Stevie says there’s no gasket or anything else to seal the wastegate flap against the turbine housing, it simply relies on the pull of the actuator to hold it against the machined surface in the housing.
Sticking a load of paste on there will stop it seating properly and allow it to leak. It’s most likely why you’re not seeing any boost until high RPM.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

Ryan22lgm

13 Posts

So took the car apart again tonight and think I have sussed out the problem! Seems like the actuator has far to much play in it preventing a full seal over the hole (see pictures) You can also see the sealer I used which I will remove. Is there a way to tighten up the actuator/flapper rod? Or do I need to source a new part? Seems like mostly up and down play not side to side.

Attachments:

shane

2619 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Edited by shane on 10th Jul, 2019.

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

What do you mean it has far too much play ?

It's a simple flap, and you were asked ages ago to ensure it was actually closed, and ideally with maybe half a hole pre-load on the actuator arm.

Which from the black marks....seems it was nowhere near closed, and doesnt even look as if it is aligned over the hole ?

Is something fucked with the arm/flap ?

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

It looks fooked to me too.

Usually when there is play in the wastegate shaft or it's not sealing it's new turbo time. These aren't parts you can get.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

Ryan22lgm

13 Posts

On 12th Jul, 2019 stevieturbo said:
What do you mean it has far too much play ?

It's a simple flap, and you were asked ages ago to ensure it was actually closed, and ideally with maybe half a hole pre-load on the actuator arm.

Which from the black marks....seems it was nowhere near closed, and doesnt even look as if it is aligned over the hole ?

Is something fucked with the arm/flap ?

I fully understand how the flap should work and reset the preload several times before stripping it apart. As I just said the shaft has to much play up and down as shown in the black marks. This is allowing it to leak at the top.

I am not going to scrap my turbo just because this part is not available. I plan on removing the weld from the top of the shaft then moving it up and re-welding to cure the up and down play. This will then make a full seal over the hole and solve the problem.

I want to say thanks to everyone that has commented nothing has been ignored!

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

Anything is fixable, and many parts are available.

But until you recognise what is wrong....it will appear unfixable.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

Ryan22lgm

13 Posts

So finally managed to figure out the cause of this!!! Bought another turbo from phil and as soon as I took the wastegate housing off I started to see differences.

The turbo fitted to my car I had bought in a kit from eBay described as removed from a running mini. This was lies!!! The hot side of the turbo was completely the wrong size inside so the core was just sat in a void. Wastegate hole was lower down so poppet valve did not cover. So I have changed this along with the cover took it for a test drive tonight and bloody hell I have boost!!! 🤪

What other vehicle could this hot side be from as it’s clear that it’s not made for the mini turbo core?

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

Don't know...cant see it from here.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

On 21st Sep, 2019 Ryan22lgm said:
So finally managed to figure out the cause of this!!! Bought another turbo from phil and as soon as I took the wastegate housing off I started to see differences.

The turbo fitted to my car I had bought in a kit from eBay described as removed from a running mini. This was lies!!! The hot side of the turbo was completely the wrong size inside so the core was just sat in a void. Wastegate hole was lower down so poppet valve did not cover. So I have changed this along with the cover took it for a test drive tonight and bloody hell I have boost!!! 🤪

What other vehicle could this hot side be from as it’s clear that it’s not made for the mini turbo core?

Well done finding it. Frustrating but often can be the way with second hand unknown bits. A photo would help but the exhaust housing is metro specific, it could be from any other larger T3.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

Ryan22lgm

13 Posts

Will definitely get you guys some pictures. It fits on the metro manifold same as the new one I fitted. Pain in the ass!!!

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > No boost
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: