Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Carb problem supercharged blow through Hiff44

remko

60 Posts
Member #: 1956
Advanced Member

Hi All,
Last week I put a rebuild supercharged 1275 in my pick-up.

My setup:
Eaton charger
MR2 intercooler
VW G40 mechanical re-circulation valve mounted on the back of a metro turbo hiff44.
Ignition: Programmable ECU

Problem:
Itís running quit smooth on idle. AFR 14/15. As soon as I move the throttle (even a few mm) engine stops. AFR goes to max. I used s lot of different needles, all same issue. Its not possible to rev at all, only with idle screw I can make it run about 2000rpm
I mounted a standard hiff44 (supercharger blowing in engine bay). This works completely fine. If I mount the turbo hiff with intercooler disconnected same problem. Swap needle + dampfer standard hiff on my turbo hiff; same issue. My assumptiion therefor is turbo hiff problem.

Does it sound familiair to any of you?

What can I check? What could cause this behaviour?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Remko

Edited by remko on 30th Jun, 2019.

Turbo Phil

4425 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

How are you pressurising the float chamber ?

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

JackZwiebel

89 Posts
Member #: 11786
Advanced Member

I did have the same problem and it was a broken needle. Since you tried different needles it shouldnt be your problem.
Does running with choke make it better?

remko

60 Posts
Advanced Member

@Phil:
I Made an adapter plate to mount the VW g40 valve on the back of the carb. In that plate I milled small chanels from the 44mm hole to the 3 holes on the back of the carb, so the 3 holes are connected to the pressurized side of the carb.

@JackZwiebel:
Choke doesnít improve.

remko

60 Posts
Advanced Member

@Phil:
I Made an adapter plate to mount the VW g40 valve on the back of the carb. In that plate I milled small chanels from the 44mm hole to the 3 holes on the back of the carb, so the 3 holes are connected to the pressurized side of the carb.

@JackZwiebel:
Choke doesnít improve.

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15243 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

The turbo carb setup relies on the restrictor ring inside the standard plenum chamber to provide a pressure differential for the fuel chamber to pressurise. If you are running without that, then I think that is your issue.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

remko

60 Posts
Advanced Member

Tonight I'll perform some tests. I'm going to Vintage Mini's, he has currently a running turbo engine mounted on a testbench. This makes it very easy to do testing with my carb:
- test with standard plenum to see if this solves the problem.
- test with my VW g40 valve mounted to see if it goes wrong.
Anyhow; if the pressurising is the problem, I'll find out toninght!

I'll keep you updated!

robert

6583 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

do you hve a fuel pressure regulator connected to the boost source so it raises fuel pressure as the boost rises ?

Bicester scramble ,Medusa enjoyed the trip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-7I7-nA19U

remko

60 Posts
Advanced Member

Tested @ Vintage miniís on a turbo engine that was on a dyno.
Everything worked fine.... We donít understand, but hope the pick-up will run now also with this carb!
Tonight is testing time!

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Carb problem supercharged blow through Hiff44
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: