Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Carb problem supercharged blow through Hiff44

remko

75 Posts
Member #: 1956
Advanced Member

Hi All,
Last week I put a rebuild supercharged 1275 in my pick-up.

My setup:
Eaton charger
MR2 intercooler
VW G40 mechanical re-circulation valve mounted on the back of a metro turbo hiff44.
Ignition: Programmable ECU

Problem:
It’s running quit smooth on idle. AFR 14/15. As soon as I move the throttle (even a few mm) engine stops. AFR goes to max. I used s lot of different needles, all same issue. Its not possible to rev at all, only with idle screw I can make it run about 2000rpm
I mounted a standard hiff44 (supercharger blowing in engine bay). This works completely fine. If I mount the turbo hiff with intercooler disconnected same problem. Swap needle + dampfer standard hiff on my turbo hiff; same issue. My assumptiion therefor is turbo hiff problem.

Does it sound familiair to any of you?

What can I check? What could cause this behaviour?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Remko

Edited by remko on 30th Jun, 2019.

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

How are you pressurising the float chamber ?

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

JackZwiebel

113 Posts
Member #: 11786
Advanced Member

I did have the same problem and it was a broken needle. Since you tried different needles it shouldnt be your problem.
Does running with choke make it better?

remko

75 Posts
Advanced Member

@Phil:
I Made an adapter plate to mount the VW g40 valve on the back of the carb. In that plate I milled small chanels from the 44mm hole to the 3 holes on the back of the carb, so the 3 holes are connected to the pressurized side of the carb.

@JackZwiebel:
Choke doesn’t improve.

remko

75 Posts
Advanced Member

@Phil:
I Made an adapter plate to mount the VW g40 valve on the back of the carb. In that plate I milled small chanels from the 44mm hole to the 3 holes on the back of the carb, so the 3 holes are connected to the pressurized side of the carb.

@JackZwiebel:
Choke doesn’t improve.

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

The turbo carb setup relies on the restrictor ring inside the standard plenum chamber to provide a pressure differential for the fuel chamber to pressurise. If you are running without that, then I think that is your issue.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

remko

75 Posts
Advanced Member

Tonight I'll perform some tests. I'm going to Vintage Mini's, he has currently a running turbo engine mounted on a testbench. This makes it very easy to do testing with my carb:
- test with standard plenum to see if this solves the problem.
- test with my VW g40 valve mounted to see if it goes wrong.
Anyhow; if the pressurising is the problem, I'll find out toninght!

I'll keep you updated!

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

do you hve a fuel pressure regulator connected to the boost source so it raises fuel pressure as the boost rises ?

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

remko

75 Posts
Advanced Member

Tested @ Vintage mini’s on a turbo engine that was on a dyno.
Everything worked fine.... We don’t understand, but hope the pick-up will run now also with this carb!
Tonight is testing time!

remko

75 Posts
Advanced Member

Long time ago, short update...
Last year wasn’t my year... supercharger setup removed for the IMM, because I couldn’t get it running properly....
Now finally moving forward again:
- NA engine is now running very smooth on ECU ignition
- Height of carb piston visible (12 LED’s) on dash next to wideband lambda! Now I know what part of needle needs grinding.
- Turbo carb fully refurbished
- VW G40 return valve now operational just before standard turbo plenum (Hope you’re right Tom!)

So in fact ready for next step: install supercharger & intercooler and start tuning the needle!

Edited by remko on 23rd Jun, 2020.

metroturbo

806 Posts
Member #: 989
Post Whore

North Yorkshire

I'd be interested in seeing more about this has been done. Sounds like a nice little project.

On 23rd Jun, 2020 remko said:

- Height of carb piston visible (12 LED’s) on dash next to wideband lambda! Now I know what part of needle needs grinding.

Bill

51 Posts
Member #: 10080
Advanced Member

Holland, Eindhoven

Hi Remko can we get in contact in Dutch. Im trying the same and got it only idling. But till last time it worked out. I made a mistake by the flowchamber. Small piston upside down.

remko

75 Posts
Advanced Member

No rocketscience:
12 leds connected to 12 reed-contacts (or switch). Reed contacts in polyester block to fit to dashpot. Piston machined to hold a half 5mm whiteboard magnet.
Simple, but very usefull while tuning the AFR!

On 24th Jun, 2020 metroturbo said:
I'd be interested in seeing more about this has been done. Sounds like a nice little project.

On 23rd Jun, 2020 remko said:

Attachments:

remko

75 Posts
Advanced Member

On 24th Jun, 2020 Bill said:
Hi Remko can we get in contact in Dutch. Im trying the same and got it only idling. But till last time it worked out. I made a mistake by the flowchamber. Small piston upside down.

PM sent!

remko

75 Posts
Advanced Member

Finally it runs without any issues!
Biggest issue was the way I tried to pressurize the float chamber I think. Also a rebuild of the carb could have helped...

Incredible drivebility nog with this VW g40 return valve! Very smooth motor over the complete range with massive power on full throttle!! Really impressed and happy it worked out!!

metroturbo

806 Posts
Member #: 989
Post Whore

North Yorkshire

Love it. *Clapping*

On 24th Jun, 2020 remko said:
No rocketscience:
12 leds connected to 12 reed-contacts (or switch). Reed contacts in polyester block to fit to dashpot. Piston machined to hold a half 5mm whiteboard magnet.
Simple, but very usefull while tuning the AFR!

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Carb problem supercharged blow through Hiff44
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: