Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Replacing S/C Drops with helical

JackZwiebel

113 Posts
Member #: 11786
Advanced Member

Hallo guys,

i am currently planning my winter project and for that i would like to get the car more silent - in fact the whine from the S/C Drops is too annoying for road use, i dont want to constatly drive with ear protection.

I read in the forum that a lot of you guys run with helical drops without issues, and since i am aiming for maybe 120hp it should be possible with my engine too. Or would you worry with helical drop gears?
Question now: When buying helical drop gears - are there differences? Different brands, better qualitys etc.

Another question i am still thinking about is if i should go for the Minispares evolution helical gearset as well. I cant really tell how loud the car will be with helical drops and S/C gearbox - if its worth the money.

theoneeyedlizard

7261 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

At 120hp, you should be fine with standard drops. If you want extra piece of mind you could use the Mini spares Evo helical drops that have recently been released.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

JackZwiebel

113 Posts
Advanced Member

They have evo drops too now? Where did you see them, cant find anything about it.

The evo gear kit basicly uses wider gears to perform better - how do they strenghen the drops where de bearings are usually the issue?

Does anyone run S/C gearbox and helical drops? Whats the noise level in thes configuration? I dont mind a little whine, but i dont want to use ear protaction. Also its nice to hear the engine itself too :)

theoneeyedlizard

7261 Posts

Essex

Bah!! I’m being a numpty! I was thinking of the gear set.

Standard it is, unless you want to try using the ones that Robert tried. They were from either mpi or auto.

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

New primary gear bushes, and a tightly shimmed idler gear with good bearings should be fine. Lots of primary gears seem to have quite a bit of slop now due to wear which doesn’t help, let alone the thicker transfer case gaskets.

Edited by minimole23 on 31st Jul, 2019.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

JackZwiebel

113 Posts
Advanced Member

Ok thanks, then i will go by the standard ones.

Any experience with the noise of s/c gearbox? If that one is not too noisy it would save a lot of money and time if i dont have to take the gearbox off

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

Gary mine were boggo stock a+ ones , ok to well over 230 bhp .

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

theoneeyedlizard

7261 Posts

Essex

Really. Didn’t you at least have a measure up of some from an auto?

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

yes i thought about the auto ones , if i remember correctly they were huge .

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

JackZwiebel

113 Posts
Advanced Member

Just out of curiosity - From the manuals it seems like the mini auto gearbox also uses a torque converter - like basicly all automatic gear boxes back then. The torque conerter sits befor the drop gears instead of the clutch
Shouldnt the torque converter flatten out tourque peaks and therefore reduce the load on the gearbox.
My experience is that automatic gearboxes usually can handle more torque when using the same gear sizes.
Just looked at this and the idler gear does look quite big

theoneeyedlizard

7261 Posts

Essex

Phew! My memory is still slightly intact then!

On 1st Aug, 2019 robert said:
yes i thought about the auto ones , if i remember correctly they were huge .

metroturbo

806 Posts
Member #: 989
Post Whore

North Yorkshire

A straight cut box with helical drops will be no louder than a helical box in 4th gear, which is possibly where it matters to you the most?

Jack2eaton

82 Posts
Member #: 9772
Advanced Member

Sheffield

On 1st Aug, 2019 metroturbo said:
A straight cut box with helical drops will be no louder than a helical box in 4th gear, which is possibly where it matters to you the most?

I have this setup and it is exactly that. A lot of whine when pushing hard through 1st -3rd as quiet as a standard box in 4th.
Can’t comment if it’s louder or quieter than a full S/C box as i’ve never driven one. To me for road use it’s fine. Noisy when pushing hard as normal when cruising.

JackZwiebel

113 Posts
Advanced Member

Thanks :) Lets see how much budget i have in winter if i go for full helical or just helical drops

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Replacing S/C Drops with helical
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: