Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Beginners Tech > Converting an mpi engine

slammed 66

84 Posts
Member #: 835
Advanced Member

Grimsby N.E. Lincs

Morning fellas.

I’ve just got back into minis again and I’m wanting to build a turbo motor for a future project.
I’ve got some parts left from my old clubby turbo from about 15 years ago so they should help with the build.

What I’ve bought is a ‘98 mpi engine that’s been sat for years since the bottom end started knocking. My plan is to have it bored +20 for a 1293 capacity.
From my parts stash I’ve got:

T3 turbo
Inlet manifold
Modified plenum elbow
A couple of old oil drains
Turbo carb.
Modified metro turbo head

I realise that I’ll need a crank grind, new shells, turbo oil pump, exhaust manifold, fpr.
What pistons should I be looking for? Ideally I’d like 150bhp. Also rods, will the mpi rods be ok or should I look for metro turbo rods or others?
Oil feed and return: what’s the score with these? If anyone has pics to help my simple mind absorb the info it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ross

1986 renault 5 gt turbo
1989 Renault extra
1991 R32 GTR
1998 Mini MPI
1999 Nissan Elgrand

Steve220

238 Posts
Member #: 11017

Shropshire

On 3rd Sep, 2019 slammed 66 said:
Morning fellas.

I’ve just got back into minis again and I’m wanting to build a turbo motor for a future project.
I’ve got some parts left from my old clubby turbo from about 15 years ago so they should help with the build.

What I’ve bought is a ‘98 mpi engine that’s been sat for years since the bottom end started knocking. My plan is to have it bored +20 for a 1293 capacity.
From my parts stash I’ve got:

T3 turbo
Inlet manifold
Modified plenum elbow
A couple of old oil drains
Turbo carb.
Modified metro turbo head

I realise that I’ll need a crank grind, new shells, turbo oil pump, exhaust manifold, fpr.
What pistons should I be looking for? Ideally I’d like 150bhp. Also rods, will the mpi rods be ok or should I look for metro turbo rods or others?
Oil feed and return: what’s the score with these? If anyone has pics to help my simple mind absorb the info it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ross

First of all, remember the MPi block doesn't have a dizzy, so you will need an appropriate ECU to sort the ignition side of it. As you're using the MPi block, you'll also have to pass the emissions for the car of the year, which may prove difficult on a carb. If you went A+ dizzy block, this whole thing will be so much easier.

The T3 is an old hat turbo, I really would consider something like a GT1752. Either way, your oil drain will be bellow the cam angle sensor hole to be able to use it effectively as a return. I had a dash 10 fitting tig welded to the gearbox casing.

The turbo head may cause issues with mounting the alternator as its mounted to the head on the MPi. So unless you keep the alternator in the MPi location, you'll have to go side mounted radiator and ditch the front mount (which will be easier).

Pistons - it's usually accepted that Omega cast or forged are great, but you'll need to work out what compression ratio you intend to go for then work it back as Omega cast are 10cc crowns and forged are 18cc.
Rods - Mpi/A+ are fine, they'll take good power.
Oil feed - I take mine from the oil gallery at the front of the block.

Steve's opinion - buy an A+ block and take over all your internal parts over. Go side mounted radiator.

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

For 150bhp I'd be going for the 10cc cast omega pistons from MED.

Everything else standard should be fine, the rods will be fine too.

With regards to oil feed you could take it from the oil pressure switch like a standard metro and as for the return with it being an MPI block you would need to make something custom up to fit the cam phase sensor hole or return elsewhere.

Plenty info on here if you search buddy.

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

slammed 66

84 Posts
Member #: 835
Advanced Member

Grimsby N.E. Lincs

Thanks for the replies fellas. Steve has really pointed out the flaw in my plan with the distributor.
It’s not to go into my current mpi mini but I plan on buying an earlier shell in the future to turbo. I can’t be bothered with the hassle of separate ignition ecus so I’ll just keep a look out for an earlier a+ or a metro turbo unit.
Thanks once again guys, you’ve been most helpful

Ross 👍🏻

1986 renault 5 gt turbo
1989 Renault extra
1991 R32 GTR
1998 Mini MPI
1999 Nissan Elgrand

Steve220

238 Posts
Member #: 11017

Shropshire

Ross, if you're interested in selling the engine, head and ancillaries in the future, I maybe interested!

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

If you are wanting to run that much power it would be worthwhile going to mapable ignition and binning the old dizzy. You'll get more out of the motor.

theoneeyedlizard

7259 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

It’s worth every penny and the extra effort to get mappable ignition.

As above, I’d also be looking at a more modern turbo.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

Will

167 Posts
Member #: 11091
Advanced Member

Best advice I found for converting your mpi block, don’t try and do the oil return to the camshaft position sensor! It’s too high really
Just drill and tap the gearbox while you’ve got the engine out 🤦‍♂️

shane

2618 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

This is an option for oil drainage, granted this is on my K Build....
Shane

Attachments:

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Definitely get mappable ignition or you will be handicapping yourself in the power/drivability of an engine making 150bhp.
Intercooler pretty advisable too !

Home > Beginners Tech > Converting an mpi engine
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: