Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > General Chat > Emerald and Mac

shane

2618 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Evening all,

The time is looming to replace my laptop and I’d really like to go for a MacBook.
My question is is anyone on here running the Emerald ECU software on one, and how much of a ball ache is it to do so.
I have spoke with Emerald and they confirm that they have customers that run their software on them but understandably vague with how.
Also has anyone ran a copy of INPA service software for BMW on one?

Any thoughts welcome and thanks in advance.
Shane

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Member #: 9038
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

Run a Windows emulator on it or something similar. So the program thinks it's running on a windoes machine

DILLIGAF

166 Posts
Member #: 9128
Advanced Member

As above or you could partition the hard drive, effectively making 2 hard drives and install windows straight on one of the partitions.

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Thanks for the reply’s.
Is there a preferred software for emulation?

How much work it to portion the hard drive?
I assume by doing that I would have to purchase a copy of windows to install?

Sorry if these seem stupid questions but IT really isn’t my forte.

Shane

t3gav

2395 Posts
Member #: 229
Gavin@minispares.com

kent

I bought a cheap laptop for £60 that had a serial port to use for Emerald. Failing that Jimbo will be able to help you with the Mac *wink*

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Member #: 9038
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

On 18th Nov, 2019 t3gav said:
I bought a cheap laptop for £60 that had a serial port to use for Emerald. Failing that Jimbo will be able to help you with the Mac *wink*

I done this, bought a cheap laptop to use for megajolt. Im not clued up enough on IT to tell you how to do it, i just know thats roughly a way to do it

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

This was my plan B if the MAC option turned out to be a PITA

On 18th Nov, 2019 hazpalmer said:
On 18th Nov, 2019 t3gav said:

I done this, bought a cheap laptop to use for megajolt. Im not clued up enough on IT to tell you how to do it, i just know thats roughly a way to do it

Shane

DILLIGAF

166 Posts
Member #: 9128
Advanced Member

Partition you drive is a piece of piss Shane, you've got all the software you need already.
Look in. your utilities folder, in your application folder, find and launch 'Disk Utility'.
Once it's launched you'll see in the application window at the left hand side all your hard drive. Select it then at the top of the window you'll see the 'Partition' button. Click on that and you'll get a image of your hard drive (like a pie chart) adjust that to the size you want you new hard drives to be. You'll also see a drop down menu called format, you need to change this to MS-DOT (FAT) if your portion is 32GB's or less, if it's larger than 32GB's you need to set it to ExFat and than click apply. A few minutes later you'll have effectively 2 hard drives.
Then you can install any version of Windows on that partition. If you don't know anyone with a copy you can borrow, there's always everybody's favourite torrent site pirate bay.

Home > General Chat > Emerald and Mac
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: