Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Clutch problem

Dexter

24 Posts
Member #: 11891

Well we have the rat running more or less on the button, but have no clutch like many this build has been going for ever & I have forgot a lot of what I have done. I do know that I have used a new MED lightweight flywheel assembly with a MED clutch arm, new clevis pins rod & slave cylinder all in all new new bits. All set up as per the book, when pushing the clutch medal it almost feels if something is going over centre !!, but there dose not appear to be enough movement on the arm, & I have a feeling that the push rod needs extending which I think I have done before. Before I make an adjustable rod & or pull the clutch assembly out anybody got any ideas what could be the issue.

shane

2619 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Is this verto or pre verto?
I appreciate this is a basic but is the hydraulic system bled fully?
If you manually actuate the arm (large spanner on the end to achieve leverage) does this give sufficient movement to engage/disengage the clutch?

Shane

Dexter

24 Posts

Its a pre verto bitsa from the parts bin, All blead well , I have not tried to manually operate the clutch, I;ll give it a go & see what happens

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Correct slave cylinder fitted?
From memory it sometimes takes a little jiggling of the positions of the two stops to find the sweet spot (more so of the 1/4” unc bolt).
It’s been a good few years since messing with a pre verto but I seem to remember the plunger travel is minute compared to the verto so any small amount of wear on any of the components such as clevis pins, pushrod or the pivot point of the will give problems, I appreciate most of your components are new but by the sound of it your plunger and wok, master cylinder/clevis or clutch pedal are original/potentially worn.
Im sure this has been covered on many previous posts, a little searching may throw up something more helpful.
Shane.

Edited by shane on 1st Dec, 2019.

Dexter

24 Posts

Thanks I thought there was only 1 type of slave cylinder for a per verto, I check to see what I have used, the only old part is the clutch pedal. .

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

There is only one for the pre verto, but its worth confirming you have that one and not the verto fitted by mistake.

Shane

Rammie2000

1750 Posts
Member #: 10190
Post Whore

belgium

verto and preverto have the same troughout.

you can do anything if you set your mind to it...
i rather blow it up winning than keep it together losing.

finish date set for project 1... march 2018

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Physically they vary in appearance, I'm not sure if the bore size is different or whether they are interchangeable?
http://minispares.com/product/Classic/Clut...k%20to%20search

http://minispares.com/product/Classic/Clut...k%20to%20search

Shane

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

its a bit different, maybe half a mm, i think its just because of metric/ imperial tooling.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Dexter

24 Posts

Made up an adjustable clutch rod, with a bit of messing around we appear to have a clutch, goes into reverse 2 & 3 ok, can't seem to get 1st & 2nd very well ?, When startivng to investigate noticed that the diff housing is damaged , looks like engine out over Christmas one step forward more than a few back 😵

Dexter

24 Posts

Made up an adjustable clutch rod, with a bit of messing around we appear to have a clutch, goes into reverse 2 & 3 ok, can't seem to get 1st & 2nd very well ?, When startivng to investigate noticed that the diff housing is damaged , looks like engine out over Christmas one step forward more than a few back 😵

Dexter

24 Posts

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

The path of least resistance offers least reward.

Mr Joshua

2484 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

If its hard getting first and second check the condition of the roll pins they may need changing.

Own the day

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Slaves arent meant to be interchangeable but i know for a fact it will work! The night before L2B my slave blew so i nicked the one off the turbo, got to brighton and went to buy a replacement n the guy on the stall said its the wrong type it will not work! I said well ive just driven hundreds of miles here... he said well your lucky... i said well actually it came off my turbo with same set up and thats done 6000 miles.. he said i dont believe you! It went back n forth (including him saying that theres no way i have a A-series with 150bhp so i just squashed that convo) but long story short shouldnt work, but will.

Gear selection problem, might be silly but has stumped me before so worth mentioning.. has the plate been off the bottom of the selector? If its wrong way it wont allow selection of 2 gears

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

Dexter

24 Posts

Dave when you say "selector" do you mean remote unit ?

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

The gearstick housing doo hicky thing ma jiggy yeah!

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

Dexter

24 Posts

I'll have a look, no idea where this rermote came from, the rat is a parts bin special that has been ongoing for 10 years but things are progressing good and bad.

Mr Joshua

2484 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

On 9th Dec, 2019 D4VE said:
the guy on the stall said its the wrong type it will not work!

I love it when people say it can't be done or better yet "You" can't make that fit! Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling as I reach for my phone to open the picture gallery

Own the day

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Clutch problem
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: