Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > LSD Choice

mini93

834 Posts
Member #: 2017
Post Whore

Warwick.

Hello,

I'm looking at getting a plate LSD differential for my project, and seen 2 on the market and just wanted to see peoples opinions on which is better.

The Tran-x Differential; available from Swiftune only
https://swiftune.com/parts-shop/transmissio...n-x-mk-6-2.html

NXG Differential; available from MED
https://www.med-engineering.co.uk/transmiss...sd-differential

I've seen on the MED site, they mention that the gearcase and diff housing requires modification. Will this also be the case for the Tran-x?
I've used Tran-x differentials when I used to work at a rally place, and know they're good, but they're quite a chunk more expensive. But they also say they require no pre-load to be dialed in, which useful, and easily serviced.

Opinions?

Dave.

David.

shane

2619 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

if this is for a road car then id suggest this instead of a all out LSD.
https://swiftune.com/parts-shop/atb-differe...sic-mini-2.html
Shane

cossierick

3074 Posts
Member #: 1348
Post Whore

wakefield West Yorks

As Shane has linked , if its for the road etc id go for the quaife atb. There a direct fit , they even take a standard crown wheel .
The tranx will need the casing modifying and you will need a new cwp

mini93

834 Posts
Post Whore

Warwick.

Not an issue getting things modified, just wanting to be aware before I buy it.
It'll be used on track, so will be wanting a real plated diff. Just wanting to see if anyone has experience of both?

David.

Turbo Phil

4620 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

I’ve been using the Tran-x plate type LSD for about 15 years. No issues so far.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

I've driven with both but id sway more to the civility of the ATB, its personal preference but what's right for me may not be for you.
The added bonus with the ATB that has been mentioned is that they take a std crown wheel which easily opens up messing with final drive ratios for track use.

Shane

On 19th Dec, 2019 mini93 said:
Not an issue getting things modified, just wanting to be aware before I buy it.
It'll be used on track, so will be wanting a real plated diff. Just wanting to see if anyone has experience of both?

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

If the car is turbo'd and for track I would recommend an ATB. It is what I am using with a 3.1 diff and I do a lot of trackdays. You cannot get lower than a 3.4 with a plated LSD as far as i am aware, something that would make me never run a plated diff.

All mig guys run an quaife ATB. Admittedly they are limited to that by the regs, unsure they would change it out if unrestricted.

cossierick

3074 Posts
Member #: 1348
Post Whore

wakefield West Yorks

Jonny , I would definitely chose the plated diff over quaife in the mig if it was possible , and choose it for any out and out track car , but a good point you have made about final drive !
I run a 3.44 in the spaceframe and it’s ideally not long enough ! I’m going for a 3.1 / 3.2 when I get round to it !

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

I'd also choose a plate diff for a serious competition car.

Only point I can make is that Tran-X folded a few years ago and were bought out by Quaife. Are you definitely buying a Tran-x diff, and can you/will you be able to get plates and other service bits for it in the future? Worth finding out before you buy.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Could change the drop gear ratio to get a little more from the 3.44:1? Use a .958 Ratio? would that give you a half way house between a 3.44 and a 3.2, 3.29:1?

On 20th Dec, 2019 cossierick said:
Jonny , I would definitely chose the plated diff over quaife in the mig if it was possible , and choose it for any out and out track car , but a good point you have made about final drive !
I run a 3.44 in the spaceframe and it’s ideally not long enough ! I’m going for a 3.1 / 3.2 when I get round to it !

Shane

Edited by shane on 20th Dec, 2019.

mini93

834 Posts
Post Whore

Warwick.

Quaife are still producing what they refer to as a tran-x diff. A Mk6 version, not sure what mk they were on when they closed. Swifty don't list plate packs on their site for rebuilding, so that's a good point, I'd guess I'd get then direct from quaife.

I was also recommend a plate diff over ATB by my engine builder.
ATBs still act like an open diff should a wheel get lifted (curb jumping etc)

David.

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

If you opt for a plated diff and are restricted to the 3.44:1 CWP combo the achievable final drive ratios available from messing with the drops are;
1.136:1 drop gear ratio= 3.9:1 FD
1:1 ratio drop gear ratio= 3.44:1 FD
1.0416:1 drop gear ratio= 3.583:1 FD
1.0434:1 drop gear ratio= 3.589:1 FD
1.045:1 drop gear ratio= 3.59:1 FD
1.0869:1 drop gear ratio= 3.73:1 FD
1.09:1 drop gear ratio= 3.74: FD
.958:1 drop gear ratio= 3.29 FD

I run 3.2:1 ratio, on a track like Castle Coombe I found it ideal, but at my local track (Snetterton) the FD would be too short for some of the straights.
Id agree with Johnny's 3.1 to give the car some legs.
Personally (my opinion only) even if you opted for the 3.44:1 ratio with a .958:1 drop ratio you'd be revving the tits off of it with a loss of top end.
From memory (these figures are approximate) at 6500 rpm a 3.44:1 gave a top end of approx' 107mph but 120mph was achievable using a 3.1:1 FD
Depends what you want from the car, where its going to be driven, there will always be a compromise.

Shane.

mini93

834 Posts
Post Whore

Warwick.

Useful information. I've seen the guessworks calculator which'll map out revs, gear drop ratios etc and not played around with that too much yet. My last engine used a 3.7 ratio and was topping 110 over Avon rise at Combe. New engine is going to turn over a taller gear much easier.

David.

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

I recently built a SC box for a friend and we spent a fair amount of time procrastinating over ratios and final drives.
We ended up opting for a FD as a datum knowing/feeling it would have to be potentially revised after some use/miles.
Id suggest not making a rod for your own back and leaving your options as open as you can for future development.
There are more knowledgeable guys on here with more track experience than myself tho, they may be able to offer further pearls of wisdom.

Shane

jonny f

2091 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

On 20th Dec, 2019 mini93 said:
Useful information. I've seen the guessworks calculator which'll map out revs, gear drop ratios etc and not played around with that too much yet. My last engine used a 3.7 ratio and was topping 110 over Avon rise at Combe. New engine is going to turn over a taller gear much easier.

You'll be at 120 easy with a sorted turbo engine. Mine will do 120 at 7200rpm and sit on the limiter at most tracks. I'll up the rev's if i go racing but that's enough on a trackday for me.

jonny f

2091 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

On 20th Dec, 2019 shane said:
If you opt for a plated diff and are restricted to the 3.44:1 CWP combo the achievable final drive ratios available from messing with the drops are;

I run 3.2:1 ratio, on a track like Castle Coombe I found it ideal, but at my local track (Snetterton) the FD would be too short for some of the straights.
Personally (my opinion only) even if you opted for the 3.44:1 ratio with a .958:1 drop ratio you'd be revving the tits off of it with a loss of top end.
From memory (these figures are approximate) at 6500 rpm a 3.44:1 gave a top end of approx' 107mph but 120mph was achievable using a 3.1:1 FD
Depends what you want from the car, where its going to be driven, there will always be a compromise.

Shane.

Some useful info regarding final drives!

Still would make me stick to an ATB although not being the perfect diff. Plated diff just won't give me the top end speed without going crazy revs.

My 3.1 does 121mph at 7200rpm.

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Its a compromise, but I think a worth while one.
Especially when you factor in a decent suspension geometry set up and tailoring boost delivery to be linear as to promote minimal loss of traction.

On 23rd Dec, 2019 jonny f said:

Shane.

Still would make me stick to an ATB although not being the perfect diff. Plated diff just won't give me the top end speed without going crazy revs.

Edited by shane on 23rd Dec, 2019.

stevieturbo

3574 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 20th Dec, 2019 Tom Fenton said:

Only point I can make is that Tran-X folded a few years ago and were bought out by Quaife. Are you definitely buying a Tran-x diff, and can you/will you be able to get plates and other service bits for it in the future? Worth finding out before you buy.

The 3J/NXG guys are ex Tran-X arent they ?

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

On 23rd Dec, 2019 jonny f said:

Shane.

3.1 on a 10" tyres seems to work out much higher johnny ?

Attachments:

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

jonny f

2091 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

Strange, i must have messed up somewhere! I will check. Perhaps i am using a 3.2.

The speedo is GPS and rev limit is set at 7200 on the ecu. You can hear it nudge the limiter here at 3.18. https://youtu.be/p_Qtj-IR_H4?t=199

mini93

834 Posts
Post Whore

Warwick.

I have heard this before actually, though didnt piece it together till you mentioned 3J driveline.

And, thanks for everyones thoughts on this all. I'll also be using 13 inch wheels, so slightly larger rolling OD to assist in top end speed. The calculator I used said that at 6500rpm, it'll put me at 125mph... Not sure i want to do much more than that in a mini haha

On 25th Dec, 2019 stevieturbo said:

On 20th Dec, 2019 Tom Fenton said:

Edited by mini93 on 26th Dec, 2019.

David.

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

On 26th Dec, 2019 jonny f said:
Strange, i must have messed up somewhere! I will check. Perhaps i am using a 3.2.

The speedo is GPS and rev limit is set at 7200 on the ecu. You can hear it nudge the limiter here at 3.18. https://youtu.be/p_Qtj-IR_H4?t=199

Maybe even a 3.44 ?

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

On 25th Dec, 2019 stevieturbo said:

I believe so yes, but Quaife bought/acquired the TranX rights and as far as I know 3J won’t supply TranX replacement/service bits.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

jonny f

2091 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

On 26th Dec, 2019 robert said:

On 26th Dec, 2019 jonny f said:

Maybe even a 3.44 ?

No definitely not that high. Doesn’t seem to tally up though. I shall work it out.

Mr Joshua

2486 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

A bit late to the party but I have a Gripper plate type LSD and it requires no modifications to the gearbox. When i could not find any output shafts to fit they custom made me two new planet/sun gears (can never remember which sits where in diffs) for a veery affordable price so i could utilise the minispares units.

Own the day

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > LSD Choice
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: