Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Beginners Tech > Only supply fuel line?

Ralf

52 Posts
Member #: 11964
Advanced Member

Lindlar

Hi, my plan is to use a laggy Metro Turbo kit on my 1100cc engine. This should be done with as little effort as possible.
At the moment I try to get all needed environment changes/adjustments for the Turbo conversion sorted out.

One of this is, how to manage the fuel supply.
I used the search button and found that an MPI or SPI fuel tank with related fuel pump and 8mm ID fuel lines could do the job.
Would I need something else, maybe to regulate the fuel pressure?

What I couldn't found by search button, is it maybe possible to run the system only with a supply fuel line without return line?
That would be easier for me as I wouldn't need to buy a new fuel tank. *happy*

gr Ralf

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

You need a metro turbo fuel pressure regulator by the carb.

You can use a normal tank and T the return line in before the fuel pump.

shane

2618 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Hi Ralf,

For fuel supply you have several options, You can use either the SPI/MPI tanks (using the SPI tank will limit you on max power as it has a lower flow rate and supply pressure, the pump is easily swapped for a larger one if you can only obtain an SPI tank).

You can use an inline fuel pump such as as the original metro turbo item.

Fuel lines can be 8mm supply and 10mm return, I ran 10mm for both without issue.

Your other option is what has been known on this forum as the T piece trick, I believe Will did this on a 998 build many years ago with success using only one fuel line, you would need to do some searching to find further details as I'm not 100% with it.

Which ever route you go you will need a rising rate fuel pressure regulator to allow the fuel pressure to maintained at (if I remember correctly) 4.5 PSI above boost pressure.
The metro ran a Malapassi regulator which is readily available over here, one pearl of wisdom here is if your using a second hand one please replace the internal diaphragm.

The other thing to be mindful of is filtration, and that what ever filter you use is adequate in terms of the pressure exerted on it where you decide to instal within the system.

Lastly the T3 turbo is old hat and I fear awful on an 1100, if you switch to a more modern turbo it would make the car more spritely/enjoyable to drive.

Shane

Ralf

52 Posts
Advanced Member

Lindlar

thanks jonny and shane for the very helpfull guidence.
I just found the Malpassi pressure regulator by searching.
Also found some regulators having a pressure gauge. Is this a helpfull thing or only show?

gr Ralf

shane

2618 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

The regulators need to be rising rate suitable for a forced induction engine not just a general purpose regulator.
As for the gauge, depends on if its showing supply pressure to the regulator or the outlet pressure? I guess
On a carb' set up Ive only ever used the Malapassi item with an inline pressure gauge fitted for setting the base pressure (4.5psi) which was removed on completion.

Shane

Ralf

52 Posts
Advanced Member

Lindlar

ok, I'll go for the Malpassi regulator.

gr Ralf

Home > Beginners Tech > Only supply fuel line?
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: