Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Omega Cast power limit

Steve220

238 Posts
Member #: 11017

Shropshire

Guys,

Hypothetical question coming up, bit of background first. Running a 1310 Mpi turbo set up with SC wet manifold, 630cc injectors, Omega cast pistons on A+ rods, standard crank, GT1752 etc etc. I've been chasing a misfire which felt more like a cut, so raised the boost cut to see if it disappeared (running 13-14psi and the boost cut was set for 15psi). I raised the cut to 19 psi to see if it was spiking and the boost gauge wasn't reacting quick enough. Out for a run and the car boosted hard to 18psi (map is scaled for this and higher, but generally very little advance and lots of fuel) and it pulled like a train and no knock! As I didn't do the run again and got the car home, it got me thinking:

What power are the Omega cast 10cc pistons able to take? Tempted to get it booked in and get it mapped properly for high boost now, but if the pistons are going to try and return to their pre-historic state, i'll give it a miss.

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

They will take whatever you can throw at them pretty much if you don't run them lean/det them.

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

Never used omegas but I guess with any piston, heat, fuel, air and timing are the keys to avoiding turning them liquid

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

John

10020 Posts
Mongo

Yep! We put 25psi+ into and engine using standard turbo pistons and they came out clean!

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Mine have been fine at a minimum of 15psi and I’ve run 20psi on the road and dyno for sessions without issue.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

John

10020 Posts
Mongo

You were probably more scientifical than we were Phil, we just lobbed a BCA needle in and wound the boost up until it wasn't too rich and pretty conservative max advance. lol

shane

2618 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

I used to run 18Psi on them, the only failures I had (well documented on here back in the day) where fuel/det related.

Shane

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Omega Cast power limit
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: