Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > General Chat > Garrett T3 swap? Cheap chinese?

murray4405

3 Posts
Member #: 11971

Hi, I'm in the process of finishing off someone else's unfinished project. Just wondering if I should keep Garrett T3 turbo or upgrade? Is there a straight swap for a later Garret Turbo or would even a later cheap Chinese turbo be better? Cheers

shane

2618 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Welcome,
The T3 is an old hat turbo these days.
The Garret GT17 has proven to provide some very good power on many cars on here.
Swaying away from the T3 turbo and it’s mating flange to the manifold will necessitate some modification or replacement of the std metro manifold.
A consideration with turbo choice is what is the car going to be used for? Out right track toy or street car with a bit more go?
I have no personal experience with them but believe some members on here had used “Chinese” CHRA turbo cartridges with some success but it may be worth hitting the search button and doing some reading around on available cheaper turbos/options.
The search button will turn up most answers you need as there isn’t much that hasn’t been documented on here in depth over the years, it will take some invested time to find the answers.

Shane

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

There’s no straight swop for the T3, any change of turbo will require either an new manifold or modification/adaption of the metro one. You’ll then need to sort a downpipe, an oil drain and an oil feed.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

Home > General Chat > Garrett T3 swap? Cheap chinese?
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: