Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Bogging Down

Glun34

16 Posts
Member #: 11921

Hi Everyone,

looking to see if anyone out there has some suggestions on a bogging down issue I'm having.

Car's spec is -

stock head, crank and pistons.
Metro turbo T3
Stock turbo regulator
Sytec fuel pump
HIF 44 Turbo carb recently rebuilt by AC Dodd with 5w-30 dashpot oil. balance pipe blocked off and part throttle lean off connected.
Lucas electronic 65D distributor

The problem I have is any sharp movement in throttle and the engine bogs down/goes lean. But if you slowly apply throttle it will rev up.

I went out for a drive the last time I looked at the car 2 weeks ago and recorded a video of a fuel pressure gauge i have between the carb and the regulator. its set a 3.5psi at idle but when you apply throttle quickly you can see that the pressure is dropping. I thought that must mean the pump was on the way out as the regulator is a brand new one from mini spares, so I replaced the pump with the Sytec unit and still have the problem.

Looking at some threads with people having similar problems, people seem to put the issue down to timing. So today I have replaced the old turbo dizzy with the 65D and set the timing to 6 degrees at 1500rpm with the vac pipe disconnected. I still have exactly the same problem, any sudden application of throttle and it bogs down and goes lean.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've changed so much on the car now that im starting to think there is some other underlying issue with the engine its self despite it and the turbo having been rebuilt less than 500 miles ago!

Any suggestions of what to check or do are really appreciated!

Cheers!

Edited by Glun34 on 29th Mar, 2020.

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

do you have a boost pressure signal pipe connected from the inlet box on the carb ,to the fuel pressure regulator ?

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Glun34

16 Posts

Yes, got a pipe going from the plenum chamber to the pressure reg for boost signal

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

coolio , well the pressure should deff not be dropping ,so i would focus on the fpr , do you have a piccy of how its connected up ? and of the carb ?

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

As Robert says. I wonder if the fpr reference is coming from the wrong place? It needs to come off the plenum not the inlet.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

theoneeyedlizard

7261 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Would dropping fuel pressure cause the issue above though? Wouldn’t it need to empty the float bowl before a problem surfaced.

Try with the part throttle pipe blocked off (both ends).

Also, is the float vent pipe blocked off?

Send a photo showing all your carb connections.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

Glun34

16 Posts

Thanks for the replies everyone.

here's a few photos of my carb setup. At the moment I've got the part throttle lean off connected and have tried as well with them blocked off at both ends and still have the same problem. The fuel pressure reg that is on there is a brand new one from mini spares. Its hard to see in the photo but I have the feed line from the tank going in to the right, return at the bottom, top left is going to the plenum pressure signal and the lower left connection is to the carb. I thought that replacing the fpr would solve my problem, but it does exactly the same thing with this brand new one! Starting to think there is an air leak somewhere but im not sure how I could narrow that down. I also do have the correct turbo gasket between the plenum and the carb as I know its a common issue to put an NA one in there by accident.

Attachments:

Glun34

16 Posts

I should also say theres a standard BDD needle in there!

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

what needle is in the carb , its hard to see is that blue pipe from the top of the fpr going into the corner stub on the plenum ? what do the plugs look like .

shane

2619 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

With a pressure gauge inline inbetween the regulator and carb, what happens to your 3.5 psi base pressure if you apply pressure (say 10 psi via an air line or foot pump) to the boost reference on the fpr?

Shane

Edited by shane on 30th Mar, 2020.

Turbocod

21 Posts
Member #: 11807

Long time ago, sure had similar on my turbo van, was the vent solenoid not closing, from memory, but that was 25 years ago.
Sorry not much help.

Glun34

16 Posts

its the standard BDD needle in there at the moment. I'll have a go testing the regulator and see what happens. I think it must be working though as on boost the afr is good so the fuel pressure must rise with boost, its just any slightly quick movement with the throttle and it goes lean and bogs down.

Hate to sound silly but where is the vent solenoid located? its not something I've played around with yet.

Cheers for the ideas guys!

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

starts to sound like the needle needs to meet mr file :)

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

On 29th Mar, 2020 Glun34 said:
5w-30 dashpot oil.

Try thick oil, 20w50

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

Glun34

16 Posts

Ok I'll try some ticker dashpot oil like 20w50 and see what difference it makes.

I also have another dashpot spring that isn't marked but much stiffer than the yellow one thats in there at the moment, so that also might be worth a try.

Cheers for the suggestions everyone!

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

only try one thing at a time otherwise you won't learn what has cured it.

Shane

Glun34

16 Posts

Ok, put some thicker 20W50 in there this afternoon and it had the same problem again! Any reasonably quick movements with the throttle and it would lean out straight away. I did just out of interest put some 3 in one into the dashpot after that to see what would happen and again of course I had the same problem.

So now im at the point were I have a rebuilt carb so I know thats good, brand new pressure regulator so in theory should be good, new fuel pump so I know thats not the issue and I have checked the plenum and it all looks fine and unblocked.

My 2 theories now are the fuel pressure from the regulator isn't constant and fluctuates between 4psi and 3psi, so is there a block in the fuel system? That however wouldn't make sense from the way I understand it is that the float bowl would need to be empty for it to be totally lean and bog down? Second theory is that I have a leak somewhere after the carb. Has anyone had experience of a leak from the servo connection on the inlet manifold? what is the best way to check for a leak in general?

Unfortunately it seems I have a more underlying issue that just dashpot oil or needle profile.

Cheers for all the input, its much appreciated!

Edited by Glun34 on 1st Apr, 2020.

theoneeyedlizard

7261 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Don’t rule out needle profile. It could certainly still be the culprit.

You could pull/cut off the servo hose and block it to test. These can be prone to cracking.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

Glun34

16 Posts

Ok, so today I tired blocking off the servo connection on the manifold to see if it was leaking, but still the same issue. Goes lean at any sight quick throttle usage. Then got out some vacuum gauges I have for balancing bike cabs and connected one to the dizzy vacuum advance connection on the top of the carb. Saw no drop in vacuum on throttle so I can only guess from that there’s no leak in the system.

Should I try the next needle up from a BDD? Does anyone know what that would be? Is it also worth trying a stiffer dashpot spring?

JT

2742 Posts
Member #: 637
Post Whore

Hertfordshire

what fuel pump are you using?
what size fuel lines?

My build thread..

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=542985

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Did you fit a pressure gauge between the regulator and the carb' and prove that the fuel pressure rises with boost from the 3 /4 psi base pressure?
Is the restrictor ring still present in the plenum to carb port?
Is the original over boost valve in the plenum sealing correctly?
When you rebuilt the carb did you set the float height at the correct height?
What throttle disk did you put in the carb when you rebuilt it? Solid or one with the poppet valve (curiosity only).
What preload do you have on the turbo actuator / proved opening pressure with a foot pump?
is your idle mixture and ignition timing correct?
Also as per JT, fuel pump type and line size?
Just trying to ascertain that you have a decent datum to go from.

Shane

Edited by shane on 3rd Apr, 2020.

metroturbo

806 Posts
Member #: 989
Post Whore

North Yorkshire

Have you tried blocking off the part throttle lean off pipe? It causes this exact problem when playing up. You can test the theory by just clamping the pipe and going for a drive.
Put some hose clamps on the pipes that haven't got any as they could be leaking, and you don't want the pipes blowing off under boost and start spraying petrol around.

tomostrash

40 Posts
Member #: 10334

Staffordshire

Mine was the choke O rings in the carb

Mr Joshua

2484 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

Okay. My question is this what are the fuel tank feed and return line bore sizes?

I had much the same issue and it took me over a year to resolve. I ended up copying the metro system completely into my car and it turned out I had the wrong diameter tank feed pipe.

from my personal experience the outlet from the tank needs to be of equal or greater bore size to that of the inlet of the pump if not you get the exact problem your having.

If this is the case there is a bandaid fix and that is to fit a resistor to the fuel pump as done on the metro turbo.

Edited by Mr Joshua on 21st Mar, 2023.

Own the day

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Bogging Down
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: