Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Dash wiring

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Hey guys... whilst being a contortionist inside my mini right now could anyone please tell me what 'number 5' the black wire on the plug that goes into the dash clocks is? (1984 mini25) Mine currently goes nowhere.. its the 1st time in 4 years that its seen any kind of loom or power.

Thanks

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

shane

2618 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Ground?

Shane

Attachments:

Edited by shane on 30th Mar, 2020.

Turbocod

21 Posts
Member #: 11807

Blacks are usually earth, I think, been messing with vws so earth is brown on them so bit rusty on my lucas colour codes, I'll get the manual out in a mo

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Tried that but then lights on dash dont come on if its earthed *oh well*

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

I’ve literally just finished re wiring / building a new loom for mine, pin 5 on the connector is ground, I’ve just ran out to the garage to prove it with a continuity test.

Shane

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Fat thumbs!

Shane

Edited by shane on 30th Mar, 2020.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Ok thanks!, to add to your 30 minute allowed daily exercise.. do you have 2 browns coming from ignition barrel plug to loom? The turbo has 2.. but looked at my sprite as reference n it only has 1

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

I’m well over my 30 mins!
I only had one.
Does the extra one you have look factory or added?

Shane

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Looks factory there.. but its a heavily mod'd loom elsewhere, basically it used to have alarm n loads of other poop n i laid it out in extension for few days n thinned it out n got rid of all unrccessary stuff, its temporarily mocked up in car with engine so i can see loom still works and i can weld in mounts, tabs etc before it all comes out for paint. Everything works but ign. Lights n cranking at this point.. but this 2nd brown n the black no.5 is only 2 loose ends left 🤔

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Without seeing what you’ve got (said the vicar) or knowing a bit more about what loom you’ve got (so I can thumb through a diagram) this is going to be a little tricky.
Looking at a generic diagram for the 3 clock cluster ‘85 to ‘88? (assuming you have similar to what to I’ve got in mine 3 clock Nipon Seiki), that ground on pin 5 is common to all dash lamps/indications and the voltage stabiliser (built in to the fuel and temp gauge unless it’s an older smiths type which has a separate one) resistive connections of the temp garage and fuel sender are connected, does fuel and temp gauge work with 5 disconnected?
If your saying you loose your lights which 5connected to ground, all including warning lamps or just clock illuminations?
I’d say you’ve got something wrong somewhere there.
Re the ignition, what wires do you have? Starter relay is usually the white with red tracer?
Have you still got a white and a green with white tracer from the ignition switch?

Shane

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Yes very very hard, especially in times like this where i cant let someone just have a ganders at it, im in now but shall try get a pic of it so u can see what im working with, the earth is now working and behaving, the lights must of been a coincidence from something else.
The second brown i speak of could possibly of been for something else in the past so is just taped for now as its perm live.
The main problem now is i turn the ignition, all guages spring into life n do there song n dance, megajolt lights up, lights horn etc all ok, but turn anymore n no ign. Or oil light and no crank.
But as said until u see the modded loom its just guesswork

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

So just to update here.. after alot of checks, checks n more checks.. shane sorted it (dont worry, through phone and obeying social distancing)

So people.. lesson learnt, check the basics! Like the engine earth strap 🤦‍♂️

😂

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Glad it was something simple, it certainly put a new spin on charades.

Shane

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Lol

I once wired and plumbed a car, a lot of work all done with it up on stands. All working great.

Jacked it up took it off the stands and put it on the deck on its own wheels/tyres. All of a sudden it would do everything but crank over.

Bit of head scratching ensued until I realised I hadn’t fitted an earth strap! It must have been earthing through the stands to the floor somehow is all I could come up with, the tyres insulated it.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Dash wiring
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: