Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Non-Mini Discussion > Recommendations -Fibreglass Body Marcos

Andy500

869 Posts
Member #: 2443
Post Whore

Cheshire

Evening gents
Hope all are well and hunkering down safely! The current conditions are pushing me back in to the projects I want to get done and one of them is the mk2 Mini Marcos I acquired a year or so ago.

It has been sat on a drive for the best part of 30 years so needs a pretty extensive rebuild. Can anyone reccomend anyone/a body shop who can work with fibreglass? I expect ( not stripped it yet) that it will need any metal brackets cutting out and replacing etc so will be a fair amount of work. I also want a full cage building in as sitting in it makes the Mini in comparison Feel like it’s an armoured vehicle! I’m pretty sure the Thundercats lunchbox I had in the early 80s would have better crash protection!!

Any help or reccomendations much appreciated. I’m in Congleton, Cheshire and somewhere reasonably local would be good

Thanks
Andy

Edited by Andy500 on 15th Apr, 2020.

Andy500

869 Posts
Post Whore

Cheshire

Couple of pictures..... she ain’t too pretty yet!

Attachments:

shane

2619 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Jonny Faulkner on here has done some extensive work to his minus over the years, he might be a good starting point for advise?

Shane

Cooper1999

209 Posts
Member #: 6451

South East Northumberland

Andy,
There's a fair bit regarding working with fibreglass and fitting a cage on the MM forum page, or access to people who have done it before:
https://www.minimarcos.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl

Andy500

869 Posts
Post Whore

Cheshire

Thanks Chaps
I actually joined the MM club a few weeks back and managed to get added to the forum today. I’ve posted on there now as well.

I’ve found a local company who do classic car and fibreglass work and hopefully be able to get them to view and quote For the body in the next few weeks once the lockdown is lifted. It will need a new engine but can’t decide if its better to put the k1100 headed engine in to that Or in to the mini!

shane

2619 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Just another thought, don’t just limit yourself to bodyshops, try boatbuilders that work with composites for hull manufacture.

Shane

Edited by shane on 20th Apr, 2020.

Cooper1999

209 Posts
Member #: 6451

South East Northumberland

Andy, I'm sure there's someone in the MM club who's fitted a K1100 twin cam head into a MM. (Orange car from memory)
This requires a heavily modded bonnet to cover the rocker cover.
And going turbo - I think you'd have to control the heat quite well up against the bulkhead.
But by Christ - a turbo'd twin cam would fly....

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

https://customminis.co.uk/

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

Home > Non-Mini Discussion > Recommendations -Fibreglass Body Marcos
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: