Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Pretty sure this is knackered!!!

Andy500

869 Posts
Member #: 2443
Post Whore

Cheshire

Evening all
Been doing a bit of stripping this evening of an old spare engine and box I acquired a few years ago to be the unit for my Twin cam build.

Got the transfer case off tonight and wanted to share this pic of where the idler thrust runs! What causes this? Poor build quality by whoever built it? Would it just be the shimming on the idler?

Will See what other nasties I find tomorrow!

Attachments:

Edited by Andy500 on 29th Apr, 2020.

shane

2619 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

What did the idler thrust look like when you pulled it out?

Shane

Andy500

869 Posts
Post Whore

Cheshire

Weirdly the thrust didn’t look worn or damaged at all!

Got the engine off the box this evening. It turns over but is right in a couple of spots. Turns out it had a 286 cam but I think it may also be scrap now.. these were the followers! The pic showing the one on its own was from no 7 and looks like it’s had a rather rough ride!

I’m wondering if it had been starved of oil or if this is a symptom of really really bad build as some one has obviously put it back together in the past! Oil pump is also pitted and worn! I’m also wondering if it could have been starved of oil at some point, the box gasket was on top of the o ring so could possibly have drawn air in at the back there??
Cheers

Andy500

869 Posts
Post Whore

Cheshire

it was using roller rockers but they were proper fooked! Probably related to whatever has gone on here. No idea what ratio but they were a yellow/gold colour if I remember right!

Edited by Andy500 on 30th Apr, 2020.

Andy500

869 Posts
Post Whore

Cheshire

Managed to get the engine stripped completely over the last few days. Every bearing is knackered! What do people think could possibly cause this? Bad build with shit in it or something else? Only asking out if interest really as I didn’t expect it this bad, god knows what it would have run like!

Although the bores look fine with no wear!

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

My first guesses would be not cleaned/ shit in the oil?
Shane

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

It is debris that has gone round rather than lack of oil or wear. Something like a worn out diff pin that leads to the diff planet gears breaking up can cause it. By the time the symptoms develop e.g. the car starts snatching round corners and making horrid noises, its too late, all the metal debris has gone through the oil pump and round the system shagging everything as you have found. The joys of the engine and box sharing oil!

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

Andy500

869 Posts
Post Whore

Cheshire

Thanks chaps I haven’t stripped the box or diff yet so will no doubt find things in there too. Does said debris make it through the oil filter then as well?

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

I may be wrong on this but can oil bypass the filter if the relief valve is stuck either in the block or the small one in the filter housing?

Shane

Mr Joshua

2484 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

For sure in the housing

Edited by Mr Joshua on 10th May, 2020.

Own the day

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

So if its stuck or wedged open then no filtered oil for the engine?

Shane

Mr Joshua

2484 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

correct

Own the day

Andy500

869 Posts
Post Whore

Cheshire

a

Edited by Andy500 on 10th May, 2020.

Andy500

869 Posts
Post Whore

Cheshire

Oh dear sounds bad and considering every bearing is the same I would expect this is the case. It is an mpi block though so not sure if that has the same bypass?

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

I think the only "bypass" on the MPI's is the sprung oil pressure relief. Im not 100% of how the oil ways differ on these blocks to the A+.

Shane

On 10th May, 2020 Andy500 said:
Oh dear sounds bad and considering every bearing is the same I would expect this is the case. It is an mpi block though so not sure if that has the same bypass?

Steve220

242 Posts
Member #: 11017

Shropshire

On 10th May, 2020 shane said:
I think the only "bypass" on the MPI's is the sprung oil pressure relief. Im not 100% of how the oil ways differ on these blocks to the A+.

Shane

On 10th May, 2020 Andy500 said:

Spot on. Pickup>oil pump>bypass valve. It bypasses back down to the gearbox again via a 10mm hole.

Andy500

869 Posts
Post Whore

Cheshire

So in that case unless the filter is shagged then it could not circulate crap round the engine?

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

Doesn't the MPI filter have a bypass valve in it?

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Not under the filter itself that I’ve ever seen.
I’m headed out tot that garage shortly, I’ve an MPI block spare I used for my Twink mock up, will Post a pic.

Shane

On 11th May, 2020 John said:
Doesn't the MPI filter have a bypass valve in it?

Attachments:

Andy500

869 Posts
Post Whore

Cheshire

There is nothing on the block, I have one here now. Will take a look in a filter, think I have one he re somewhere

Andy500

869 Posts
Post Whore

Cheshire

So the filter does have a bypass, apparently all good filters do and it’s not uncommon for the bypass to be operating on cold start up and obvs if the filters clogged....well every days a school day!

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Internally?

I never knew that either?

On 11th May, 2020 Andy500 said:
So the filter does have a bypass, apparently all good filters do and it’s not uncommon for the bypass to be operating on cold start up and obvs if the filters clogged....well every days a school day!

Andy500

869 Posts
Post Whore

Cheshire

Yep, I suppose it’s one of those things you wouldn’t normally cut in arf to take a look!

Andy500

869 Posts
Post Whore

Cheshire

Think it’s the same as this!

Attachments:

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

My comment was intended to express that the filter has a bypass valve in it. But looks like you've found that out. Interesting stuff.

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Pretty sure this is knackered!!!
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: