Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Introduce Yourself > Hi everybody! Metro Turbo time?

themetroman

2 Posts
Member #: 12013

Hi everyone,

I've been a long time lurker on this forum toying with a turbo engine for my little Metro City X for years. I think I may finally have the time to start actually putting something together.

I've had the Metro for years and currently have the original 998 bottom end balanced with a lightened flywheel, MG Metro cam and a big valve 12G940 head breathing through a full Maniflow system with LCB. It's a real laugh but I'm wanted a little more go, especially on motorways...

I've been collecting turbo bits on and off for years and am trying to work out a spec. This is what I have to play with:

1275 Mini SPi engine (complete but partially stripped down). I think I will get away with a hone and new rings if the pistons can be used.

Original MG Metro Turbo cylinder head in need of a good clean along with manifolds, HIF44 and T3 turbo which appears to be seized. I'm not too upset about the turbo because I got the lot for free years ago.

I've also got a new Garrett GT1549 left over from another project. It has the oddball 3 bolt flange so isn't a simple fit onto the manifold I have.

Ignition wise I've got a Megajolt on the shelf.

I suspect, but need to confirm, that the pistons I have in the block will be the 21251 ones. From searching through here they appear to be chocolate so I am looking at 21253s. I keep reading that they can be modified with a larger dish and presumably a reduced pin to crown height but can't find a single photograph of a finished item! If anyone has anything they can share that would be great. I've got a little lathe and some old pistons to practice with. I am planning to turn up an mandrel so i can just lightly located on the OD but clamp down on the gudgeon pin.

I'm planning on a 'budget' build, certainly not looking to set the world on fire power wise, just something with about the same poke as a standard Metro Turbo with reasonable reliability.

Some photos because they are more interesting than words.

Cheers!

James

Andy500

869 Posts
Member #: 2443
Post Whore

Cheshire

Hi and welcome.
I love a sleeper Metro. I’m sure when I first joined on here or maybe even before (must have been nearly 20 years ago!) there was a beige Metro turbo with banded steel wheels. It looked really very good!!
Have fun lots of great info on here as you have probably already found.
Cheers
Andy

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Member #: 9038
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

Welcome! Sounds like a good project. If you plan on using that turbo it might be worth looking at a new manifold? I think Matty (Fusion Fabs) could help with. Unless you could get another T3 on your budget to use your exisiting manifold.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Love the look of that! 😍 i learnt to drive in mums beige metro when i was 9!

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

themetroman

2 Posts
Member #: 12013

Thanks for the welcome, I will get a build thread started soon.

hazpalmer - I need to have a measure up, the GT15 is a lot smaller than the T3 so I might be able to fit an adaptor and still have space. If not it's probably cheaper to flog the little turbo and get something that is an easier fit onto the original manifold.

Cheers

James

monsterob

264 Posts
Member #: 11029

Crewe

Cracking little motor I rescued one like that a few years back. Need a metro in my life .....

Outside the box

steve1275

849 Posts
Member #: 951
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

Great choice of beer too! *Clapping*

'Where does the engine go?'

Home > Introduce Yourself > Hi everybody! Metro Turbo time?
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: