Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > speedo drive oil drain

c2_mad

384 Posts
Member #: 4215

hi, looking to put my oil drain in the speedo drive case(i get lots of smoke, really think its my oil drain) and looking for ideas...anybody done this before?do you have pics?

thanks in advance

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

In my experience the problem is not usually the drain, I'd be double checking oil pressure, guide seals, and rings.

Check all the ports these if uyou can isolate the oil to one cylinder etc

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Does the smoke go once the oil is warmed through? Because I have had oil drain issues before but only prevalent with cold thick oil, as soon as it’s hot it thins markedly and if it is a drain restriction tends to go away.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

c2_mad

384 Posts

hi guys, i get smoke all the time... have already had the car working with no turbo and at least on idle, no smoke at all(didnt drive it), so i took the old t2 out and got a new gt17(ebay max speedingrod) have smoke for the start again just like with the t2. the whole engine has been rebuilt, about 6-7 year ago. has barely done 3000 miles. so I'm thinking its either the oil drain, or the oil feed sending to much oil? but from what i read, journal bearing turbos, dont need a restrictor...

c2_mad

384 Posts

On 3rd May, 2020 Joe C said:
In my experience the problem is not usually the drain, I'd be double checking oil pressure, guide seals, and rings.

Check all the ports these if uyou can isolate the oil to one cylinder etc

when you say oil pressure, do you mean put a restrictor in the oil feed? i have also been thinking about that option

Mr Joshua

2484 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

Sorry to say just because its new does not mean it will work just means its new. When you say you have had it running with no turbo I am assuming you mean in a normal aspirated configuration with no turbo fitted at all and you were smoke free? and when you fitted the turbo the smoke returned. You have your answer sir and from my poor knowledge when a car with a turbo is puffing out smoke all the time its the turbo.

Own the day

c2_mad

384 Posts

Mr Joshua, thats correct. that's my thinking also, and since this turbo is new, I'm thinking it might be either the oil feed with to much pressure or the oil drain. like you said , just because it new, doesnt mean its works 100%, but since i have the same symptoms as with the old turbo and the oil feed is the same and the oil drain is slightly worse, i thought they might be the culprit

Mr Joshua

2484 Posts
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

I am at a loss, what is the size of your oil drain? The T3 oil drain was fairly substantial and drained back through where the fuel pump was mounted a nice short route as long as the drain is large than the supply line you should have no issues

Edited by Mr Joshua on 3rd May, 2020.

Own the day

c2_mad

384 Posts

cant remember the exact size, but its more of less the same as the t3,18mm if im not mistaken

c2_mad

384 Posts

double post

Edited by c2_mad on 3rd May, 2020.

Mr Joshua

2484 Posts
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

Then sir I would be looking at the turbo.

Own the day

c2_mad

384 Posts

its not out of the question, but would like to start with the cheapest, easiest options first. anybody on here use a restrictor in the oil feed?

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

no, dont fit a restrictor, check what the engine oil pressure is set to, and double check the gauge if fitted.

Garrett normally states 60 PSI max iirc,

also lack of breathers causing crank case pressure can be an issue.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

c2_mad

384 Posts

hi joe,thanks for the tips. i do have a gauge fitted. so will have a look and get back with my findings...

as for breather i have 2. 1 by the clutch and 1 buy the timing chain cover....

c2_mad

384 Posts

hi joe,thanks for the tips. i do have a gauge fitted. so will have a look and get back with my findings...

as for breather i have 2. 1 by the clutch and 1 buy the timing chain cover....

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

Most turbo smoke related problems are either insufficient drain, or poor or no crankcase ventilation...which massively effects the ability to drain.

Some pics of your drain may help.

Very rarely is it an over supply issue.

Garrett have some decent training videos that cover the basics.

https://www.garrettmotion.com/turbo-replace...taller-connect/

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

You did put a Restictor in the oil feed? Wasn’t so important on the old T-series, but you can’t have it too large on even the non BB GT series.
However, I suspect that your issue is either related to the drain you cobbled together (no doubt different from your T2 drain), you have an inherent problem maybe valve guides or guide seals.

Edited by TurboDave16V on 6th May, 2020.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Mr Joshua

2484 Posts
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

He said he has run it without the turbo fitted and had no smoke to my mind that rules to the usual suspects never realised you had to fit a restrictor if you went away from the T3 to another variant of turbo.

Own the day

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > speedo drive oil drain
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 2 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: