Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > General Chat > Turbominis revival thread. What’s everybody up to ?

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

On 24th Oct, 2020 steve1275 said:
Had a last outing of the season, the fourth of the year, and I never expected to get any. managed a new pb of 11.9 at 114 earlier on.*smiley*

Impressive!!

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

Elfturbo

116 Posts
Member #: 2576
Advanced Member

South Staffordshire

I am getting focused on the Riley Elf again, after getting distracted during the summer with a motorhome, which turned out to be an expensive fridge during lock down.

The engine build is coming along nicely, i keep chipping away on the evenings, after the little one has gone to bed.

I have spent the weekends starting to look at the floor of the Elf. I repaired it back in 2000. I wish i had replaced the whole floor, but i wasn't brave enough.

Still it is fairly ok - just needed some localised repairs where the boot floor meets the back bulkhead.

Going to tidy up, and repaint underneath with some paints i have ordered from ARC - RITE who supply paint to the north sea oil industry.

I would like the floor to last till i retire. I want to get the thing on the road, and have a few years enjoying using her.

I will post some pictures now.

Hoss

HOSS

Elfturbo

116 Posts
Advanced Member

South Staffordshire

It is good to have something to focus on while trips to the pub are so difficult.

Edited by Elfturbo on 24th Oct, 2020.

HOSS

Elfturbo

116 Posts
Advanced Member

South Staffordshire

and yes it is still on hydrolastic suspension.

Think i have worked out a cheap way of re hosing the displacers.

Going to fit a rear anti roll bar as part of renovations.

HOSS

Elfturbo

116 Posts
Advanced Member

South Staffordshire

The Elf

Attachments:

HOSS

Elfturbo

116 Posts
Advanced Member

South Staffordshire

From behind

Attachments:

HOSS

Elfturbo

116 Posts
Advanced Member

South Staffordshire

Dash

Attachments:

HOSS

Elfturbo

116 Posts
Advanced Member

South Staffordshire

Welding to do*frown*

Attachments:

HOSS

Elfturbo

116 Posts
Advanced Member

South Staffordshire

Half engine.

Attachments:

HOSS

Elfturbo

116 Posts
Advanced Member

South Staffordshire

Head and TE05 on MG Metro Turbo manifold.

Attachments:

HOSS

wolfie

8215 Posts
Member #: 90
Post Whore

Somewhere around Swindon

I now have a mk1 elf, i am hoping to restore it to original bar some cooper s brakes.

On 24th Oct, 2020 Elfturbo said:
Head and TE05 on MG Metro Turbo manifold.

Crystal Sound Audio said:

Why wolfie...you should have your name as Fuckfaceshithead !

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."-Douglas Adams

Elfturbo

116 Posts
Advanced Member

South Staffordshire

Pictures Wolfie.

My Elf was missing its engine when i bought it, so an MG Metro unit went in the hole.

Really reliable economical little car.

Then i ruined it by getting into turbocharging...

HOSS

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

On 26th Oct, 2020 Elfturbo said:

Then i ruined it by getting into turbocharging...

Wash your mouth out with soap and water you dirty little boy.
No No and thrice No.
you massively improved it by turbocharging it.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

e5tus

428 Posts
Member #: 10128

Dorset

Did everyone progress their builds during lockdown#2?

My car is now fully together *surprised* and ready for next season. I'm slowly trawling back through photo's and updating my thread with what's what since 2017. Quite cathartic seeing fast forwarded progress!!

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 2nd Dec, 2020 e5tus said:
Did everyone progress their builds during lockdown#2?

My car is now fully together *surprised* and ready for next season. I'm slowly trawling back through photo's and updating my thread with what's what since 2017. Quite cathartic seeing fast forwarded progress!!

Unfortunately for some of us, lockdown meant more work, taking on stuff that others on furlough couldn’t do........ I had little motivation to do anything at home other than relax and de stress to start again the next day. Been much the same since this time last year to be honest, before it all really kicked off. Probably the best year for me financially, but no motivation to do anything..... strange strange times!!...

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Member #: 9038
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

Like Colin I've been working throughout. I managed to make the most progress during lockdown 1. My mini is outside so progress has slowed some what over winter. I'm working through all the teething issues to get the car ready for an MOT/shake down when the weather gets better.

Yo-Han

967 Posts
Member #: 3228
Post Whore

North of the Netherlands

In Netherlands as above; almost a year of working at home is taking its toll. Espacially now with home schooling for the kids...
I did buy a new TIG welder and made a catchtank to get some practice welding Aluminium.
Hang in there everybody!

Han

Dazed and Confused....

Yoda74

114 Posts
Member #: 11728
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

@Yo-Han: What kind of TIG welder did you obtain? Thinking about buying one myself.

Ofwel in het Nederlands: Welke TIG-lasser heb je gekocht, zit er ook over te denken om er één te kopen.

Cheers,
Harold

Yo-Han

967 Posts
Member #: 3228
Post Whore

North of the Netherlands

Hi Harold,
I bought this:
https://www.lasexpert.nl/TIG220P

It's really good especially for this money, only downside is you can't set the frequency but for welding I plan on doing I don't think it is really needed.

If you want to give Alu welding a go add a pedal in the order; you need one.

Can't fault the service of lasexpert either.

Feel free to send a PM if you want more info (or try the welder before buying one)

Groeten, Han

On 5th Feb, 2021 Yoda74 said:
@Yo-Han: What kind of TIG welder did you obtain? Thinking about buying one myself.

Ofwel in het Nederlands: Welke TIG-lasser heb je gekocht, zit er ook over te denken om er één te kopen.

Cheers,
Harold

Dazed and Confused....

monsterob

264 Posts
Member #: 11029

Crewe

Ive finished the dry build on mine so pulled it all apart again and handed the body to my painter. Hehe is making good progress on it so finger's crossed next month it can start to go back together then the dreaded wiring *surprised* *surprised*

Outside the box

Jd24-7

55 Posts
Member #: 11761
Advanced Member

Worcestershire

Little progress update. I got my mini out for a quick run to fill up with fuel as its been in pieces for close to 12 months. It has a stock 998 A+ from a late mini and now has a KP35 from a Dacia / Kangoo / Clio diesel. I wanted something to give the 998 a bit of pep (Its temporary while i put my old 1275 back together) and pep it now has. apart from a hesitation on initial acceleration , it picks up and goes way better than i expected. it is actually great fun and powers round roundabouts . i doubt there is much top end power or big numbers, but for ripping about it is spot on. running about 9PSI.
Phil, i haven't forgotten about your T3 wastegate actuator, i currently have a spring hooked over the wastegate lever to help pull it open.(Anti Bosst) will see how it goes.
It is so good, i am going to order some fresh oil and a filter!!

Jd24-7

55 Posts
Member #: 11761
Advanced Member

Worcestershire

Little progress update. I got my mini out for a quick run to fill up with fuel as its been in pieces for close to 12 months. It has a stock 998 A+ from a late mini and now has a KP35 from a Dacia / Kangoo / Clio diesel. I wanted something to give the 998 a bit of pep (Its temporary while i put my old 1275 back together) and pep it now has. apart from a hesitation on initial acceleration , it picks up and goes way better than i expected. it is actually great fun and powers round roundabouts . i doubt there is much top end power or big numbers, but for ripping about it is spot on. running about 9PSI.
Phil, i haven't forgotten about your T3 wastegate actuator, i currently have a spring hooked over the wastegate lever to help pull it open.(Anti Bosst) will see how it goes.
It is so good, i am going to order some fresh oil and a filter!!

Shauna

1043 Posts
Member #: 10424
Post Whore

Swansea boyo!

I'll probably start a new thread on here when all the welding is done in mine (for someone who's under 30 I am shocking at uploading things off my phone!)
Big rebuild finally started this year after doing the house and messing with the Hondas!
Mines currently on its side finishing welding up the drivers side. My subframes were sent off for blasting and coating last week so I can spend the cold dark nights in the garage building them back up ready to go on!
Staying with the 998 but we are going +40 this time.. Not my choice but I choose my battles 😜
Hope everyone is doing well and its nice to see people are still kicking about playing minis. I think most people (including myself) have moved on from forums on to Facebook/Instagram which is a shame, you can't beat a good build thread!

They don't die, they just get faster!

Home > General Chat > Turbominis revival thread. What’s everybody up to ?
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: