Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > General Chat > Throw Out Stop

Gavin Wakely

398 Posts
Member #: 793

Milton Keynes

I've run engines with and without a throw out stop, without any issues. I've herd people say if you don't have one it will destroy thrusts / crank. I understand how it works, but surely with or without the throw out stop the same pressure is exerted on the crank thrusts when disengaging clutch ? So how is it of any benefit ?
*Confused* *Confused*

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c248/spe...er1/mini007.jpg

If it a'nt broke don't fix it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JT

2742 Posts
Member #: 637
Post Whore

Hertfordshire

think its mainly for pre verto setups? to stop the diaphragm from over throwing?

My build thread..

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=542985

Anthony C. Thomas

13 Posts
Member #: 11919

Norway.

Very early Minis had no throw out stop at all I seem to remember, not sure when the stop was intorduced but about the same time as the "Deva Bush modification was effected after the 997 Coopers were "new" and the oil fed primary drives were fitted to the original 850 Mini.
There was a modifcation where a new primary gear with oilite bushes was introduced and the pressure feed to the primary gear sealed with a tapered brass pin and filed flush. This was a modifcation I did to several 997 Coopers and the regular early 850. The early primary gear had two (2) oil seals, one being physicaly in the flywheel. This was removed during the modification.

As mentioned earlier I think the stop was introduced at this time / when the bronze bushed primar drive was introduced. From this time forward the primary gear had just the "one" oilseal, big orange seal.

The only explanation as to the reasoning behind the stop nuts has / was to reduce loading the crank thrust waskhers which in the early 60s Mini were white metal instead of the bronze that are todays norm.
Sorry that I cannot refer to any factory tech bullitins about this. If anyone would like to confirm I am wrong I have no problems with that *smiley*
Best wishes Tony

Edited by Anthony C. Thomas on 10th Jun, 2020.

Best wishes
Tony

Anthony C. Thomas

13 Posts
Member #: 11919

Norway.

The early oil fed primary drive gear and crankshaft were 1/8" (3.2mm) smaller than its prediscessor 22G178 which is 1.5" diameter. The smaller older crank was stamped 22G153 (1 - 3/8" diameter).
Tony.

Best wishes
Tony

madmk1

5417 Posts
Member #: 6181
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

I have not had any for years tbh, I just chopped the end off and sorted it out in the lathe.

I have started posting on Instagram also my name on there is turbomk1golf

Nothing is impossible it just costs more and takes longer.

On 1st Nov, 2007 Ben H said:
There is no such thing as 'insignificant weight saving', it all adds up.

Home > General Chat > Throw Out Stop
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: