Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > MPI block

wolfie

8215 Posts
Member #: 90
Post Whore

Somewhere around Swindon

Any of you guys using an MPI block? I have 1 MPI and 4 or 5 standard blocks how much extra room does the MPI give? Is it worth the effort? Any pictures of how you did the drain?

Crystal Sound Audio said:

Why wolfie...you should have your name as Fuckfaceshithead !

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."-Douglas Adams

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Colin (Sprocket) and Steve 220 are both using them.

Phil.

Edited by Turbo Phil on 17th May, 2020.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

shane

2619 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

I'm using one with my K build. I did machine the block in the area where the oil pump is on the A/A+ block.

Shane

Attachments:

Edited by shane on 18th May, 2020.

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Then machined up a drain block for the head and turbo oil drains to return.

Shane

Attachments:

Steve220

242 Posts
Member #: 11017

Shropshire

On 17th May, 2020 wolfie said:
Any of you guys using an MPI block? I have 1 MPI and 4 or 5 standard blocks how much extra room does the MPI give? Is it worth the effort? Any pictures of how you did the drain?

Worth it? Not really any advantage over an A or A+. Where you don't have a dizzy, you have an oil filter. Alternator is also higher so gets in the way of boost hoses coming over the RHS of the head. They run stupidly high oil pressure and you have to put the turbo oil drain in the gearbox. I had an -10 fitting welded onto the casting.

Edited by Steve220 on 17th May, 2020.

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

I then made a bracket to mount the alternator low down to free up space at the top of the engine bay.
The Nippon Denso units fit very well above the fins of the gearbox casing.
Some fudging around had to be done for the belt drive and tensioner tho.
The other thing that I did to free up some more room was to swap to a shorter oil filter, I turned an adaptor to convert from the blocks UNF thread to metric.
Shane

Attachments:

Steve220

242 Posts

Shropshire

Shane, you using an MPi rad too mate?

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Nope, I seem to remember a thread on here a few years back where someone tried one and said it was marginal on cooling capacity. with that in mind I had a radiator made by Concept racing which was loosely based on the dimensions and orientation of the MPI Rad.
I haven’t got a decent image of it out of the car, but if you have a close look you can just about figure it out.

Shane

Attachments:

Edited by shane on 19th May, 2020.

Steve220

242 Posts

Shropshire

Thanks chap. That's what i needed to see. Trying to give myself potential future options without going side rad to lower the aternator, but looks like one will actually go in. Cheers.

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Not a problem. I was fudging though the file of build photos earlier for my first 8v build from 2012 and found a pic of the first mock up of the alternator in the low slung position using the MPI rad (hopefully below).
Also when time permits for me to look for it I should still have the drawing I did for Concept for the rad.
If you need any further pictures of mounts and bracketry PM your Email and I’ll send some over.

On 21st May, 2020 Steve220 said:
Thanks chap. That's what i needed to see. Trying to give myself potential future options without going side rad to lower the aternator, but looks like one will actually go in. Cheers.

Shane

Attachments:

Edited by shane on 21st May, 2020.

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > MPI block
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: