Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > General Chat > For the CAD guys. Data

JetBLICK

243 Posts
Member #: 1261

Droitwich

Hi guys.

I've got some rudimentary scan data of a block and gear casing. Its not the best, it was just made using photos and some clever software, rather than the more professional methods. That being said, its amazingly accurate considering.

Anyway, I've decided to share the data. I know there's a few CAD guys on here. Its not like anyone's gonna be making a home brew billet block from it anytime soon but I see it being useful for making brackets and ancillaries, checking clearance and stuff like that. Hopefully I get time to do some more at some point, but it does take a fair amount of time sorting it all out to get the end result.

I've scaled data as best I can, I'd always check key measurements with calipers as your going tho.

Only thing I'd ask in exchange for the data is if you end up re-drawing the block or casing as surface data for example, please consider sharing it. Would be nice if everyone shared what they come up with, I understand people put a lot of time into their designs and not everyone wants to give stuff away for free, but TurboMinis is a good bunch, and an amazing resource of knowledge, and this could be super useful as stuff is added

Data is STL format. Pretty much industry standard for scan and RPT data but if you need another format let me know and i should be able to add it.

Anyway, the link

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1P_d...buP?usp=sharing

Ta

Attachments:

Edited by JetBLICK on 26th May, 2020.

Nic

9311 Posts
Member #: 59
First mini turbo to get in the 12's & site perv

Herefordshire

That’s very kind of you.
I shall have to remember to download it and have a play at some point

Thanks!

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Good effort and thanks for sharing.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

Very cool!

Ive down loaded it and will have a look and see if I get any inspiration, what software did you use to scan? ive been meaning to have a play eith that stuff but not got around to it.

Edited by Joe C on 28th May, 2020.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

JetBLICK

243 Posts

Droitwich

The programs called reality capture. I tried a similar software about 5 years ago and the difference is incredible, its come on a very long way.

Jd24-7

55 Posts
Member #: 11761
Advanced Member

Worcestershire

Hi, that looks interesting. Any chance of saving in .stp format? I'm running solidworks, which I don't think will take stl files. I have used some models from a customer who reverse engineered their own legacy products using professional laser scanning equipment , and the quality was exceptional
Grabcad also has a few mini related parts to download, some are very good quality..
A not for profit cad collection would be a useful tool and probably won't really detract from businesses trying to earn a crust. Those of us that make everything regardless, wil continue to do just that, and those that buy the skills and expertise will continue to do the same. My own path has gone from make everything to a bit of both as my career has changed. As I have become design and cad only , it has become difficult to make my own stuff, and as life takes over their time I once had for playtime, so paying someone withe skills has become more appealing, although I am still a tight arse! !

Jimster
Site Admin

9401 Posts
Member #: 58
455bhp per ton
12 sec 1/4 mile road legal mini

Sunny Bridgend, South Wales

Thanks for sharing

Team www.sheepspeed.com Racing

On 15th May, 2009 TurboDave said:

I think the welsh one has it right!

1st to provide running proof
of turbo twinkie in a car and first to
run a 1/4 in one!!

Is your data backed up?? directbackup.net one extra month free for all Turbo minis members, PM me for detials

JetBLICK

243 Posts

Droitwich

As far as im aware solidworks does open stl? If i get a chance i'll save in stp, might be a while tho, as works a bit busy.

On 18th Aug, 2020 Jd24-7 said:
Hi, that looks interesting. Any chance of saving in .stp format? I'm running solidworks, which I don't think will take stl files. I have used some models from a customer who reverse engineered their own legacy products using professional laser scanning equipment , and the quality was exceptional
Grabcad also has a few mini related parts to download, some are very good quality..
A not for profit cad collection would be a useful tool and probably won't really detract from businesses trying to earn a crust. Those of us that make everything regardless, wil continue to do just that, and those that buy the skills and expertise will continue to do the same. My own path has gone from make everything to a bit of both as my career has changed. As I have become design and cad only , it has become difficult to make my own stuff, and as life takes over their time I once had for playtime, so paying someone withe skills has become more appealing, although I am still a tight arse! !

Jd24-7

55 Posts
Member #: 11761
Advanced Member

Worcestershire

My apologies, you are absolutely correct.

On 7th Sep, 2020 JetBLICK said:
As far as im aware solidworks does open stl? If i get a chance i'll save in stp, might be a while tho, as works a bit busy.

On 18th Aug, 2020 Jd24-7 said:

Home > General Chat > For the CAD guys. Data
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: