Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Technical Chat > Sodium-filled exhaust valves - worth it?

NDT

24 Posts
Member #: 11884

I have a Metro Turbo head and a couple of MG heads.
I'm led to believe that the MG heads with the bigger valves have better ports to start with, meaning less work required on porting them.
I will probably turbo the engine... Are the original sodium-filled valves worth keeping?
Because if so, I either need t use the turbo head (which will need more modding) or fit the bigger turbo valve guides to the MG head.

steve1275

849 Posts
Member #: 951
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

For me, get rid of the sodium cooled valves: larger guides so more port interference, they're friction welded,always a concern. I have run stainless valves for over 10 years at around 200 bhp without problem.

'Where does the engine go?'

Mr Joshua

2484 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

The Valves in the MG head will have a part number etched into them Tam 1062 comes to mind can't recall the other number, you can check the size from that. Keep the inlets and fit stainless exhaust valves. You don't want to be fitting anything bigger as you run the risk of cracking the head between the valve seats.

Own the day

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

For turbo, I'd want either sodium filled or inconel.

I would not use regular stainless valves. Even more so when they're in cast iron heads.

I abused the shit out of mine way back 25 years ago, and never once did the sodium filled valves present a problem.
That said.....are new ones even available now to be an option, or would they all be old ?

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

All aftermarket modified A-series turbo heads run the stainless one piece race valves, they do need to be run in bronze guides though.
The original sodium filled exhaust valves weren’t available for a long time, but recently Minispares have had stock.
For a standard or low boost engine the sodium valves will be fine. For high output I’d look at the stainless ones.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 5th Sep, 2020 Turbo Phil said:
All aftermarket modified A-series turbo heads run the stainless one piece race valves, they do need to be run in bronze guides though.
The original sodium filled exhaust valves weren’t available for a long time, but recently Minispares have had stock.
For a standard or low boost engine the sodium valves will be fine. For high output I’d look at the stainless ones.

Phil.

How many aftermarket heads are there ? Most modify OEM heads.

I retained standard exhaust valves, although for a short time did run the larger 32mm I think it was that one person offered at the time....however, that in itself turned into a nightmare story on the 2nd head I ran due to the need to offset the valve..

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

When I said aftermarket I meant all modded 5 port heads, rather than alloy castings etc

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

20000 miles on a Turbophil head and up to 17psi and never had a problem (and it was used on track, hillclimbs,drag strip etc.

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 7th Sep, 2020 tadge44 said:
20000 miles on a Turbophil head and up to 17psi and never had a problem (and it was used on track, hillclimbs,drag strip etc.

Back when I ran mine, I probably did around 60k on sodium filled, as much as 25psi at times with a terrible setup ( no widebands etc in those days, and a daily driver )

I broke lots of things....valves weren't one of them lol.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

Home > Technical Chat > Sodium-filled exhaust valves - worth it?
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: