Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Boost

Yoda74

114 Posts
Member #: 11728
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

Hi guys.
My MG Metro Turbo engined mini uses the standard Metro ECU.
It should give 4psi boost at low revs and from 4500 rpm give 7psi.
Sometimes when I rev it I feel extra power coming in at about 4800 rpm, but most of the time I feel nothing extra at higher revs.
Should the extra boost come in fairly unnoticeable or should I always feel it?
What do you think?
What could be the problem?

Cheers
Harold

theoneeyedlizard

7259 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Do you have a boost gauge to see what’s happening?

In the 13's at last!.. Just

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

The standard Metro Turbo Clocks with Boost-gauge-leds.

Mr Joshua

2478 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

The ecu controls the the compressor pressure fed into the waste gate actuator by opening and closing the waste gate solenoid valve usually mounted on the bulkhead. I have found that ecu's can vary a little in operation but you won't feel a hammer punch. Best way to get a little more is to fit a waste gate bleed valve, and adjust so that at full chat the ecu regulates up to 10psi of boost

Own the day

metroturbo

806 Posts
Member #: 989
Post Whore

North Yorkshire

Are you sure it is all plumbed in correctly following your previous issues with the boost gauge not working?

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

Yes I’m pretty sure. The boost gauge works again, well most of the time really, sometimes I have to tic on the gauge to bring it to life, a bad connection I think. Will have a look at that next winter.

What does the wastegate solenoid look like and where can I find it?

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

I think I found the wastegate solenoid, screwed to the bulkhead. Is there a way to test if it works like it should?
Or is a turbo pressure gauge the way to go? What’s a good one and how do I plumb it in?

metroturbo

806 Posts
Post Whore

North Yorkshire

The solenoid can be tested by putting 12 volts to it, which will open it. If you wanted to see if it was working as it's supposed to you would need to go for a drive with an oscilloscope fitted. A pressure gauge would be a simpler place to start.

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

Thanks, I will put 12v on it this weekend and see what happens. Can it be overhauled if it doesn’t work right? How?

What boost gauges are good for a fair price and how do I plumb it in?

Edited by Yoda74 on 11th Sep, 2020.

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

Who can give me some advice on a good boost-gauge (0-15psi?) and where I should connect it to?

Cheers,

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

Really, just pick one that you like the look of, and they need to take the reading from the intake manifold.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

I don’t care for inaccurate gauges, what I see on the gauge must be the exact boost, not about...
Hence the question which brand is good? Or are all with a reasonable price fine?

Is there a connection somewhere on the inlet manifold or do I have to create one myself?

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Member #: 9038
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

On 24th Sep, 2020 stevieturbo said:
Really, just pick one that you like the look of, and they need to take the reading from the intake manifold.

i use a racetech one but that's because I use a dual oil temp/pressure gauge of theirs too. I think as long as its a decent brand you'll be fine racetech, stack, smiths etc

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

Thanks hazpalmer!

To get back to the original issue, I got the solenoid out this morning and put 12v on it.
It ticks and I can blow air through it, and when I disconnect the 12v it closes again.
So the solenoid seems to work well, but when I reconnected it (with longer wires so I could keep it in my hand, hear it and blow through it), started the car and revved it, nothing happened. It seems to get no 12v from the ecu. The connectors on the solenoid seem fine, as does the connector on the Ecu. Any Idea what the problem could be? How does the ecu know how many revs it’s making?

Cheers

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Are you actually loading the engine whilst checking or just revving it stationary?

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Are you actually loading the engine whilst checking or just revving it stationary?

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

Just revving it stationary, will that make a difference?

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

You will only show boost when the engine is under load, i.e.driving it

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

I just tried the following:
Detached the wires from the solenoid and connected them to longer wires.
I brought the wires to the inside of the car and connected them to a light.
I drove around and when warm revved it untill the solenoid should get 12v and open. Instead of opening now the light should go on. Is this good way to test it? The light didn’t go on and it ran like it always does, even now the solenoid is disconnected

metroturbo

806 Posts
Post Whore

North Yorkshire

It doesn't just open the solenoid, it modulates it.
Fit a cheap boost gauge and see what is actually happening.

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

Where should I fit in the boost gauge tube?

shane

2618 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

If its a boost gauge that displays only positive pressure (boost) then install the gauge between the turbo and carb'
If its a gauge that reads boost and vacuum then instal after the throttle disc of the carb' / inlet manifold.

Shane

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

@Shane: In case of boost/vacuum-gauge, do you mean in the inlet-manifold just behind the carb??

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Drill/tap the inlet manifold and connect it to that.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

Easy as that...
Will have to take the manifold of first.
The one from the picture isn't mine.
What's the best order to do that with the ingine in the car?

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Boost
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: