Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Boost

Yoda74

114 Posts
Member #: 11728
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

I ordered the 150-101, I’ll decide how to connect it after it has arrived.

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

On 19th Oct, 2020 shane said:
If its a boost gauge that displays only positive pressure (boost) then install the gauge between the turbo and carb'

Shane

Where exactly would that be?

shane

2618 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Anywhere between the compressor housing of the turbo up to and including the plenum chamber so intercooler and pipework.
It's only after the throttle disk that you will see boost and vacuum.

Shane

On 12th Nov, 2020 Yoda74 said:

On 19th Oct, 2020 shane said:
If its a boost gauge that displays only positive pressure (boost) then install the gauge between the turbo and carb'

Shane

Where exactly would that be?

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

Is putting a t in the line that goes from the plenum to the fuel pressure regulator (and ecu) an option?

metroturbo

806 Posts
Member #: 989
Post Whore

North Yorkshire

Yes, and it will show boost only.

On 14th Nov, 2020 Yoda74 said:
Is putting a t in the line that goes from the plenum to the fuel pressure regulator (and ecu) an option?

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

My gauge came in and I have installed it from the line between plenum and fuel pressure regulator.
I went driving and the gauge works, so far so good.
But.... when I put the pedal to the metal, maximum boost is 3,75 psi. No sign of higher boost in higher revs....
From where should the ecu get the sign of how many revs the engine is making and as a result desides that the waste gate solenoid can open up?

Edited by Yoda74 on 29th Nov, 2020.

Mr Joshua

2484 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

To go back to your original issue regarding the solenoid valve. If your running the T3 Turbo that can put out over 2bar of pressure as fitted to the metro turbo block. If your solenoid valve is not working when you accelerate your world will get very exciting very quickly. however if your not experiencing the sheer terror of 30psi of boost and instead are trying to feel the extra boost the eco gives you on hard acceleration then your solenoid valve is working just fine.

Edited by Mr Joshua on 14th Dec, 2020.

Own the day

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

@Joshua: I’m not sure I understand what you mean.
I don’t want over 2bar, the standard 7psi on higher revs is about 0,5 bar.
If the solenoid doesn’t work the boost won’t go over 4 psi right?!

e5tus

428 Posts
Member #: 10128

Dorset

On 29th Nov, 2020 Yoda74 said:
From where should the ecu get the sign of how many revs the engine is making and as a result desides that the waste gate solenoid can open up?

Rev reference comes from dizzy originally (Think it's a white and black wire). I junked mine and went bleed valve as others have mentioned.

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

The only wires on my distributor are coming from the coil, a white and black/white one
At the coil they split and go into the wiring loom.

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

I found this wiring diagram from an era turbo, should be the same as an MG metro Turbo, or am I wrong?

Steve220

240 Posts
Member #: 11017

Shropshire

Should be

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

Can a wastegate that’s not functioning properly be the cause of to low boost?
When it’s open all of the time, do I get to little boost?
Is there a way to test the wastegate and actuator?

Steve220

240 Posts

Shropshire

How much pre-load is on it?

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

On 4th Dec, 2020 Yoda74 said:
Can a wastegate that’s not functioning properly be the cause of to low boost?
When it’s open all of the time, do I get to little boost?
Is there a way to test the wastegate and actuator?

Remove the hose off the actuator and connect either a foot pump or cycle pump with a gauge, pump until you see the actuator open and note the pressure.
As a rule of thumb half a hole preload is a good start.

Shane

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

Thanks Shane.
I wonder what you mean with that last sentence, what do you mean with “half a hole”?

Steve220

240 Posts

Shropshire

When you remove the arm from the wastegate, it should sit half a hole back. If you Google wastegate preload, there's a lot of info about this..

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Apologise, I should have elaborated further but was rushing the reply.
As Steve says, remove the turnbuckle from the waste gate actuator, with the gate held closed with your finger the hole in the turnbuckle will be half a hole out of line so you pull on the actuator rod to refit the turnbuckle back on the waste gate and therefore pre loading it. The more preload you add e.g a full hole out of line the higher the boost pressure will become as you now have to overcome a greater preload.
I would strongly advise checking the operation of the actuator with a pressure source (as mentioned above) with a gauge, the last thing you want to do is damage something.

Shane

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

Makes more sense now, thanks, I hope I get time to take a look at it this weekend.

Cheers

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

Where does the hose that goes to the actuator come from? It’s impossible to see, enginebay is too full... but that’s a problem we all have I guess.... *smiley*

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Its been many years since I owned a metro but I believe it is a short hose that goes straight to the turbo compressor housing.
Shane

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

It’s hard to see but there is a t-piece on the compressor housing, one tube from there is going to the boost solenoid, the other one I cannot see, but could go to the waste gate actuator.
I have no clue how to reach there and loosen the tube... oh joy, working on a turbocharged mini...
Going to drink a large cup of coffee first...

Edited by Yoda74 on 5th Dec, 2020.

metroturbo

806 Posts
Member #: 989
Post Whore

North Yorkshire

The other hose from the T on the compressor housing goes to the waste gate actuator.

If you are only getting 3.75 psi of boost then the wastegate actuator is working perfectly. It should be running 4 psi but that isn't the source of your issue, so I'd leave all the hassle of trying to get .25 psi from the actuator for another day. The problem is with the boost modulation system, so it is either a defective solenoid (but you know that does open when 12 volts is applied), the wiring to the solenoid, the ECU, or the connections to the ECU.

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

You have a point there.
The approx 3,75 psi was at high revs, less at low revs.
What if the wastegate does not shut well?
And/or opens to quickly?

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

I just went to check the mini’s wiring and saw a connector being quite loose, it’s on top of the inlet manifold where the vacuum line goes to the the servo.
When I touched it gently the top came off ?!
Is this some kind of pressure sensor, is a new one still available and can it be the cause of the lack of power?

Cheers

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Boost
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: